Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This season's final hunt & new habit going forward - how about you?

JimmyCT

Went to a well pounded park and went off the beaten path to find these goodies. For 25 years I walked passed the Barber quarter and wheat cents. This is a lesson learned and hope all that read it learn from it as well. You know how many of us get in "comfort zones" and start pounding the same areas over and over and over again? Don't get me wrong if a spot is producing by all means beat the area! However, for me, (and for years) I have spent many hours (3,4,5,6 hours in each hunt) (even in a small sq ft areas of the same picnic groves and gathering areas to find a wheat penny...............these areas are coin anemic lol. The lesson I want all of you readers to take away from this post is this: don't think for a second there couldn't be old coins in the woods of your favorite park. They are there, and I can say I have proof. Back in the day, people roamed all over the parks just like people of today do. Finds have become extremely thin by being "microwaved" with so many detector frequencies at my local parks that it was time for me to "Shake" things up. Shaking it up by going off grid into the woods. My hope was in thinking that other detectorists would avoid places like this because they found it to be too much work to climb hills, to avoid the skeeters and other bugs, to avoid sweating like a hog, and to avoid exhausting themselves so they can hunt longer. Well, my thoughts may have been correct as I made some nice discoveries this past year with the AT Pro all in the woods of my local parks. I can tell you I sweated my brains out and exercised and exhausted my body walking up and down craters and other hills like never before. The payoff has been sweet in the sense of great finds and I am thankful that I took the risk as it opened up more hunting grounds for me.

Where did I find the coins? approximately five feet in off the edge of a small field that I detected for years. There wasn't much ground cover so it was pretty easy scanning.
I was in pro mode with 5 bars of sensitivity, ground balanced 10 points below what it GB'd at. In this particular hunt it auto ground balanced at 92. I then manually dropped it to 82. Iron audio ON. I love the iron audio on this machine!! I absolutely love the 5x8 coil and I feel it gets very good depth. With this coil it is very maneuverable and a great lightweight setup to zip through the woods.

I found the pistol in the woods on the side of a 1930's "makeshift" ski hill.

Thanks for looking and maybe on your next hunt, you will go off the beaten path too!

That is exactly how I manage to find goodies in public parks these days. I couldn't have said it better. Great score on the Barber quarter!
Congrats!
HH - Bruce

Thanks Bruce! Now I know I have competition in my local parks lol. Maybe one day we can hook up and hit the parks together. (We live in the same town) - Jim

No kidding you do?!? That is great, we have to meet up. There are a few other really good detectorists here in town that I know from my club. Everything you said reminded me of detecting in one particular town park here. I scored a '35 walker and a dateless SL quarter and other keepers last year climbing the wooded hillside in that one park.
Wow - HH - Bruce

What is a wooded area today might of been more open 100 years ago. I have always found more silver in the woods than in open areas.

A small wooded area at the edge of a park here was actually virgin territory when I decided to give it a try. It didn't look inviting at all but I figured you never know what could be there. After a week of searching I dug up about seventeen 1800's coins in that small woods. Mostly IH pennies but also silver dimes, SLQ, a seated dime, shield nickel, and a silver 3 cent piece. For a long time I was puzzled why they were there. Then one day I talked to a farmer across the road and he said there was a trotting track just a few hundred feet away. So maybe the coins were tied in with the track some how. I will never know for sure. The track area produced no keepers except a silver religious medal. I like searching in the woods but I usually come out with my hands and arms cut up from all the thorns.

That exactly what I've been doing in a park that was suppose to be hunted out. A couple of the old timers have mentioned that they have seen me in areas that they never went to, I didn't tell them that I was finding silver. The dates range from 1887 to 1964 with a few clad thrown in.

Ditto on the above comments. Humans are creatures of habit and even we as detectorists can find ourselves getting into a routine of detecting the same old tried and tested comfortable and easy paths and areas because we found a nice coin or relic a long time ago!! I couldn't help but think trees/woods are generally used as shelters on rainy and also hot sunny days. They have been used by people to sleep under and they were and still are used by 'romantic':inlove: couples......I won't go into further details!! that occasionally leave coin spills. Woods have been gathering places for centuries and also soldiers have used them during battle for protection etc;. Even though you find plenty of junk especially pull tabs from beer cans left by the drunks that usually hang around those spots.....I love to detect off the beaten paths and particularly around the bases of trees and have found some great items including a nice gold ring 4 years ago, old coins and all kinds of interesting items!:thumbup:

Beautiful finds there Jim and a great post!:clapping::please: Let us know if you and Bruce get in a hunt...:thumbup:
Mud

10-4

mudpuppy said:
Beautiful finds there Jim and a great post!:clapping::please: Let us know if you and Bruce get in a hunt...:thumbup:
Mud