Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thought the season for digging silver was over, boy was I wrong!

Eric in RI

Managed to get out today to a local park today with my digging buddy. We've hunted this park on and off for the last 5 years and decided to try our luck with the nice 60 degree weather today. I first was on board with a 34 wheatie, then my buddy got a wheatie. About 30 minutes later and I had a nice soft silver signal. Dug down 5" and was rewarded with the 35 merc. I was psyched to pull silver, especially at the end of December! I started hunting around this tree slowly and had another soft silver dime signal at 6 inches. I called my buddy over to see if he would dig it as the numbers on the AT Pro were a little bouncy and when doing a 90 degree turn over the signal, it just grunted with iron. He thought it was worthy to dig so I gave it a shot. Dug down 4 inches and hit frozen tundra, No!!!! I took out the pro pointer and it barely chirped. So I took my little keyhole saw and my digging blade and started to chisel out a piece of the tundra. I then saw it, a merc suspended in its frozen grave standing straight up. I pried it out and saw that I scraped the bottom when I was chiseling it. This one turned out to be a 24D. I then went to this little triangle surrounded by sidewalks. Found a couple wheats and then another soft silver signal. Again at 6" like the last silver, so I dug down 4 inches to again frozen tundra. Located the signal with the pro pointer and started to chisel out a small plug at the bottom of the hole, then I seen the edge of what I thought was a pulltab. So I stuck my keyhole saw in to pry it up and saw the merc fly up at me. This one turns out to be a 45 and it was in real nice shape, until my saw caught the edge of the rim, doh!

All in all, my buddy found 3 Wheaties and a football charm that we think might be silver. I found 5 wheats and the 3 mercs. What a great day and an end the year.

HH!

Thats an awesome write up and some really great finds!:clapping: Good for you on getting out and hunting this late in the year!:please:
Mud

You both did good.. sounds like a park that I have been hitting over the last few years.. still gives up silver and wheats, but you have to slow down and listen closely..keep it up... there's bound to be more goodies in there!!!

Well you got out and found some silver. That is a good way to end the year. I don't like the frozen ground either. Good job for both of you... KEN

Really good day.......congrats:cheers:!!

Love them Merc's - they sure are beautiful coins - congrats ! :beers:

Nice job findin the merc's and other goodies! Congrats and HH

Good for you and your digging buddy! :clapping:One doesn't find parks very often that produce like that in this day and age, enjoy WYC.:thumbup:

oh man..theres never a season over....and to be honest i find more silver in the dead of winter..(more coins in general) cause i just love how the permafrost pushes the coins right up into digging range...awesome!!ive literally buried coins on their edge to see how the react to ground freeze and thaw...and rain and heat difference and im telling you..ive seen the coins on their edge come right up and lay flat when the ground freezes and turns them flat..its so wild

Definitely food for thought. :thumbup:

We don't have really hard freezes in my neck of the woods but there are other forces that are constantly churning the the soils also. Just to name a couple, moles and other under ground critters. And lets not forget the NUB without the PP that leaves the IFY target he couldn't locate.

What?:rolleyes: Well it could happen!:goodnight:

CT here and I tried my hand at detecting a tot lot the other day. I nearly froze off my extremities.The problem was the wind. I got out of my van and the ground was soft most of the tot lot was unfrozen. This was a quick half hour hunt and by the time I got back to the soft ground near the van it was frozen. Congrats on the silver three dime day. That was my best silver day two mercs and a rosie. George