Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thoughts on Only One VDI Number

Charlives

I just noticed the Equnox has only one VDI number, unlike the other Minelabs. Is this a hint that this machine will be subordinate to the 3030 or etrac? Not being a current Minelab user (but have pre-ordered) I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I don’t believe it will be a “catch all” machine,just really good at what it’s good at...they put the full berries into the CTX and aren’t about to send it’s superior out to trounce it just yet. If I had a farm,I’d be betting it.

Single TID digits was a small part of the FBS improvements. Those FER digits could make things bounce all over the TID screen. I always found the CON digits to be the most reliable. It may not replace the CTX as a dirt machine, but i doubt most will be able to the difference in SALT water...... unless this machine is a disappointment there. Most of us have used the Xcals .... then stepped up to the CTX so we use the sound not the screen. Dont think the CTX will match it for gold hunting either. This machine clearly has its nitch...... filling the gaps.

Dew

"Is this a hint that this machine will be subordinate to the 3030"

Sure it has to give something up for the cost.

Examples-

I would miss my trigger button pinpoint.
I also would miss the pitch hold setting.
I would miss flipping a lever to collapse or extend the shaft.
I would miss the splatter or smear on the targets display telling me it is likely trash instead of a good target.

I'm sure there is more if I sat and thought about it..

That being said- if the more modern electronics, and methods of processing allow it to punch through bad soil better- I'd still buy one.

The FE-CO display certainly is a great tool, but its not the definition of the detecting ability. I spent 25 years detecting with a linear-scale display. As long as it beeps over the target you want, thats the most important thing.
I agree that the pinpoint trigger is nice, the FE-CO info is nice, but we adjust to what we have. I dont think the changes will be a bad point.

Charlives said:
I just noticed the Equnox has only one VDI number, unlike the other Minelabs. Is this a hint that this machine will be subordinate to the 3030 or etrac? Not being a current Minelab user (but have pre-ordered) I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
The Safari also uses the same -9 to 40 scale & one number. Its the entry level FBS machine. You can hear either con or ferrous tones
but not see the ferrous numbers. If the EQ is even close to Safari performance wise I would guess the Safari will go away. So many
improvements for for about $200 USD less ! I will get the 800 myself if real reports are good & keep my Safari as back up & beach
machine. Wont have to learn new numbers either ( hopefully ) !

Tom
LFOD !

As good as the fe-co format is, perhaps what we don't know is that information may already be included, just not visible to us. Or it may not even be needed.

Most eTrac and CTX users oldie not get all there is to get out of the machines. They stay inside the shell of the 12 Fe line and use that to cherry pick coins. Basically the jest of it is 12-12 to 12-14 is probably a nickel. 12-42 to 12-44 is probably a dime. 12-47-1248 is probably a quarter. It would be just as easy to say the 12 Fe number is a moot point, and could just as easy say 12 to 14 is a nickel, 42 to 44 is a dime, and 47 to 48 is a quarter. The majority of diggers never get outside of that 12 line box and are quite confident in their cherry picking ability...they get the easy isolated, shallow to mid depth coins and are happy.

I would be perfectly content with Co numbers only. Matter of fact, anybody that has used the CTX will agree that the display sucks in sunlight. You can't see the meter at all in most cases, and have to rely on audio/tone. In water, it is the same way. The only time I can enjoy the benefit of the display on the CTX was at the beach at night. During the day with or without sunglasses....forget it. Simple and basic menu adjustments were a PIA unless you found a spot where you could block the sun and make it somewhat dark.

Ill agree I just look at the con numbers..... but the tones I set up stops me first... then the smart screen.... and lastly those digets. Same as I did with the explorer. Dont mind at al it doesnt have the fer digits..... but ill miss that smart sceen a heck of a lot.

ctx is more 12 aligned than etrac is and both have pluses and minuses, remember this is not FBS tech its an new xterra based machine, so if you liked the xterra this may float your boat, I for one like the 705 its a nice machine for the $'s

so time will tell , but the state of play is changing and detecting could become a finable offence in the not to distant future around here and so no new detectors on my horizon.

AJ

A step backwards in my opinion. Of course I'm comparing it to the E-Trac/CTX dual set of numbers.

Yes the FE, especially on the E-Trac, was mostly all over the place, but even then it was useful. I used the CO to determine possible good target and the FE to determine possible bad target. The higher the FE the more likely it would be junk.