Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Three Beeps

Lost&Found

I recently purchased the EXP SE and I love the flexibility and control...BUT...I thought the Double-D coil would produce sounds like a regular monocoil. Instead, I get 3 beeps over a coin. One as the coil passes over the leading edge, one over the center, and a third as it passes the trailing edge. If I raise the coil to about 4-5 inches I may get one or two beeps, but let's face it, many coins are only 3-4 inches under.

I talked to Kellyco, and they gave me a new machine. Same 3 beeps. So I called Tech Support at Minelab and they tell me it's normal for that kind of coil. I read as many of the forums as possible and have seen nothing about this. So am I the only person getting 3 beeps out of this otherwise fantastic machine?

Settings: Factory default, clad dime, on sand, coil 3 " above surface.

I get 2 or 3 beeps with anything that is really close to the surface. If you lift the coil up in the air and do the minelab wiggle you should be able to figure out where your target is. Also, I have the sunray X-1 target probe and all I do is run that probe on the ground before I dig and then I exactly know where the target is and then dig a small plug. I have never used a target probe before I bought the X-1 but I will never hunt without one again. It makes a world of difference and also makes hunting so much more enjoyable. It is definitely worth the money. X-1 is the only way to go. Hope this helps. HH Mike

Surface or near-surface coins (or other metal objects) can be confusing that way, particularly in trashy areas. I lift the coil when I encounter that situation to find where they really are.

You'll also run into that edge effect at times with iron falsing, which can be frustrating.

Yes it will beep three times when you pass over target that is near the coil. Once on each outer edge and once in the center. How near depends on target size and sensitivity. Generally won't do this on coins that are buried over an inch deep. After time you brain will automatically tune this signals out as shallow clad.

Chris

Thanks for the response friends. I feel better knowing that the machine is not defective, but that I might be. :-} So, I'll just stay with it and hopefully be able to report some great finds soon. Regards to all who responded and to those who may respond later.

Im glad to get those double responses. At least i know its close to the surface, because pennies sometimes read as dimes and those double beeps give me a hint to pinpoint and get a correct reading. I get mostly double beeps from nickels, pennies, and pulltabs.

Lost and Found must have some pull at Kellyco. Or he threatened them...hahaha. Either way, strike one up for the little guy!

In that the machine is so great at finding deep old coins the double beep is just its way of saying, Lets get the clad out of here. :clapping:

[attachment 90493 pic27631.jpg] The squirrel suit is getting tight, but its the only way I can hunt parks without getting crap from the Ranger!

Ok Bob, if he gets the truck fixed and if I can get the same invite, then can I meet the both of you? As the cliche goes, I can kill two birds with one stone and it would be great to meet the both of ya!

Regards,
Mariposa

Your question, IMHO, is impossible to ask in print. Things like sounds and swing speeds can only be shown in-person, on flagged targets. Find yourself a person who is proficient in this machine (not just a sand-box hunter, but someone who routinely finds old and deep coins), and have him flag some deepies for you. Also he should flag some junk signals, telling you why he would pass them ("large iron junk over-riding the disc", etc...) Only then will the lights go on. No amount of printed text can replicate in-field demo's. It would be like someone saying "please describe to me the sound of C-minor" in text. It simply can't be done.

Tom.. I live in Washington State. You mind driving up and doing some flagging for me? LOL I do wish I had someone around who could do that. I'm a new SE owner and am determined to learn it's language. Do you think if one can prove they know the SE language that they can claim another languge in which they are fluent?:thumbup: Regards!

Fine with me. That is if you can last the day with two old Farts.
I'm not sure how Mattockman feels about it.

If that suits.