Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold Factory Setting

5900_XL-1

Why do you think that Minelab chose to deliver the Equinox, with threshold set to off? Here is a machine with lots of power and ability, so who was Minelab thinking about by a factory setting is "off?" I have many detectors I have collected over the years and all have had threshold running from day1. All I can possibly think, is that they felt that the novices would be confused by hearing the entire signals actually in the ground, and think it more distracting, rather than a true benefit.

Just seems odd for a sophisticated, new generation machine.

Lot's of manufacturers seem to think "Silent Search" is the way to go or is a big selling point........ Personally, I have the threshold tone at a low volume level (like 5 to 7 depending on how much noise is around me, cars, wind) in every search mode so I can hear the amount of iron or discriminated targets there are in the area. In really aluminum trash filled parks using some notching, the threshold definitely saves my sanity so that I can at least hunt for awhile successfully. When I'm gold prospecting I definitely have it on. In the Gold modes it lets me know if the ground mineralization is changing and if there are iron targets close by. I usually have to use -9 to -5 discriminated out to take care of some of the hot rocks.

Also, maybe it is because the threshold on the Equinox in every mode is not like the threshold tone of earlier detectors. It is separate from the target tone, has separate volume and pitch adjustments on the 800, and won't help with deep faint targets as much as older detectors where the threshold tone was the same as the target tone.

Great question........

Jeff

there are posts here and other forums stating the only 'real threshold' is when running in gold mode.