Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold Level

dgc

The manual states that too low a threshold level might result in not hearing weak signals. I have a deep coin buried in my yard. It is on the limit of detectability but I can pick it up. I can turn threshold level all the way down (no threshold sound) and I still hear the signal on the coin. Does anyone know what Minelab is talking about regarding threshold level?

Thanks.

I hear this too, but maybe they mean that you will not hear IRON or discriminated targets? I always hunt in ferrous without discrimination and without threshold because I hear everything under my coil, but even when I was hunting with discrimination I was using minimum threshold and never suffer from missing target. plus after detecting at night my ears was quietly saying THANKS.

Maybe they are talking about a change in the threshold that doesn't result in a tone. Maybe the threshold audio can change on a very small or deep target without a corresponding tone. I'll play around with it and see if I can figure it out. I don't recall hearing the threshold change without either getting a null or a good target tone but maybe this can happen.

In "Pitch Hold" it will change the threshold pitch for targets on the edge of detection. I don't think it applies to Normal, Long or Smooth.

NebTrac

Thanks Neb. That makes sense since pitch hold depends on threshold to function properly.

Have you ever hunted in one direction and then gone over a spot in another direction and found a coin you could not believe was missed the first time? Or in some cases the third or fourth comeback?.
I tend to run the threshold loud enough to hear changes but no louder. I think that the target for whatever reason, too slow too fast, not careful , sweep speed, whatever makes the threshold perk up or falter but does not get a good enough read to target id or sound. This becomes more obvious in large drawn out hunts where targets are few and far between. But if the threshold stumbles I focus in on that area and see if I can bring in a target response. I tent not to do this in the average hunt site that is small as I think I am getting all the targets easy but on the large sites where they are few and far between I will focus more on this threshold change. It works once in a while and makes me think I should be more careful in the small areas as well.

good luck
utahshovelhead