Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

threshold pinch

According to the manual, it should only change the threshold audio frequency to best hear with one's ears.
Others also claim that upping the setting can also enhance certain high conductive target tones.
Maybe, maybe not. IMO, upping the limit setting to the highest point where one can easily hear the tone of a large silver coin should accomplish the same result.

It does just that - changes the threshold pitch. But it also shifts all the other tones as well. Just mess with it while waving a coin over the coil and find out. I run mine at 30. I think default is 15. Set it where you like.

khouse said:
It does just that - changes the threshold pitch. But it also shifts all the other tones as well. Just mess with it while waving a coin over the coil and find out. I run mine at 30. I think default is 15. Set it where you like.

Ahh OK! I'm convinced! I'll have to try it when i take my eTRAC out of mothballs.
As i suspected in another thread, changing the threshold pitch offsets the entire audio spectrum.

-did Minelab design this in and forget to mention it in the manual?
-is it a design bug?
-maybe a design trade off to keep the firmware simpler? Hoping no one would notice such a subtle thing! :blink:
It could be the threshold frequency stays present along with the target frequency (tone) before being digitally processed. Both frequencies are then combined in the DSP chip, the resultant frequency producing the final target tone. Changing the threshold pitch would then also affect target tones.
This would be my best guess as whats going on.

There would be no logical reason that i can see for threshold pitch changes to affect or offset the target tone spectrum.
Target tones can be manipulated with other settings. At this point i'd say its a design bug or design trade off.
A bug which has no serious ramifications and appears to be beneficial to some.

Now if a Minelab rep would comment on all this! Are you listening Minelab?

If you adjust one audio feature just the way you like then adjust an other everything changes. Sometimes you have to just keep playing with it to get it just right. I don't think they could ever explain all this where we could understand it all. When I first got the etrac I read the manual a few times. I read Andy's book a time or two also. I didn't really understand it all until I was in the field. I messed with adjustments and came home and just concentrated on that part in both books. Slowly it made sense. I will tell you that you can darn near mess most of the settings up and still find treasure. Then once you get it all set the way you like it's basically a turn on and go machine.

Guys Im no body as far as skill with the Etrac but I kinda started this post on the E forum up top. Khouse said it and others confirm it. It shifts the entire spectrum ie a wheat does not sound close to a dime. It is honestly a world of difference I swear it is. Literally day and night, mine is set at 24. Prior to this the upper conductive range sounded the same to me. A wheat was easy to tell from silver dime on smart find but sounded so much the same audio wise that I could not hear a difference. This was immediately altered by upping threshold pitch.

Will1877 said:
Guys Im no body as far as skill with the Etrac but I kinda started this post on the E forum up top. Khouse said it and others confirm it. It shifts the entire spectrum ie a wheat does not sound close to a dime. It is honestly a world of difference I swear it is. Literally day and night, mine is set at 24. Prior to this the upper conductive range sounded the same to me. A wheat was easy to tell from silver dime on smart find but sounded so much the same audio wise that I could not hear a difference. This was immediately altered by upping threshold pitch.
Will, yep that is cool, now you can go and cherry pick that silver! :)

I'll admit after two solid years of eTRAC experience, this threshold pitch phenomena was new to me also.
But it ain't gonna help me as i've been primarily using TTF.
Maybe when using MTF? We'll see!

I have not advanced to TTF but cant wait. Program is loaded and ready to rock but unanimously I have been told to run stock for awhile so I will. But I feel I understand the concept of TTF and can without a doubt see why it produces well in certain areas or all areas for that matter.

does it matter what program you run In ttf. I understand that you run 2 tone and ferris, but Can I take the stock coin program and change to ttf and have good luck. Im new to this so if it sounds numb I apologize

You can run the stock coin program (or any program) in TTF or TTC... I was out today trying these settings along with 4 tones as well... Wound up loading the attached image of Quick Mask and multi tones... found several whaeties and a nice lead business man with his lunch box...

An old house was demolished and there was iron everywhere... Used my Sunray X-8 coil and moved slow... Was pleasantly surprised to hear most of the signals while the E-Trac was nulling...

I don't see running TTF in coin mode as being any help. where it comes into play is letting it hit on small iron so it doesn't null out and so you can find coins next to nails. I use the stock relic mode

Follow up FWIW.
OK, after going on my 3rd season with the eTRAC, finally picked up the much acclaimed Andy Sabisch's Explorer & eTRAC Handbook a couple days ago.
There it is in black and white on page 29. The Threshold Pitch 'does' shift all the tones.
Why the Minelab owner's manual doesn't Note this, don't have a clue.

By the way,. this book has a wealth of information and i'd highly recommend it to eTRAC newbies. I should of bought it when i bought my eTRAC years ago.