Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Throws off the numbers.

David

The E-Trac with the 2 different sets of numbers has great resolution.

But I would like to know if the same type of coin on edge, at an angle, corroded, worn down more, etc. gives different readings and effects(throws off) the E-Tracs 2 sets of numbers(resolution) making it somewhat ineffective.??

Angled doesn't seem to make a difference.
On edge can lower the CO number a few points
Corroded may or may not affect the CO reading depending on the type of corrosion
Worn down WILL lower the CO. The amount of change is dependant on the amount of metal remaining.

I have dug a silver dime that was cut in half that read around the CO 26 area.
Silver dime on edge was decent 2-way hit, but horrible from the other 2 directions.

This is what I've seen over the last 7 months while operating my etrac. Coins on edge do seem to have higher ferrous numbers while the conductive number seems to be right there where they're supposed to be based on the target. When it comes to trash near say a silver dime, I've seen good ferrous and conductive numers and I've also seen skewed numbers. The tone sounded more correct(say a silver dime) than the numbers. Depth does seem to affect ferrous number more than conductive. Two Tone Ferrous mode is a good trash mode. I think you will sniff out more old nickels/low conductors out of trash with it than silver though, but it's still a very good mode. It's goes like this. If you can dig a lot of holes say in a field or unmanicured lawn, one needs to dig all good tones especially if the supposed target has iron close to it. If one cannot dig a lot of holes for whatever reason you can always cherrypick the solid silver/copper signals and move on. I did dig a 1902 V-nickle 2 days ago at a site I pounded using conductive audio with various coils. Went into 2 tone ferrous using 10x12 SEF coil and sniffed the 7"nickel out but the numbers were skewed. Every situation is unique and with a little experience you will be on your way.

Thank you both very much for this information. I am using it to decide whether to buy an E-Trac or not. To get opinions on how accurate the E-Trac's 2 number system really is on how it maybe can be fooled by coins on edge, wore, corroded, etc. in changing the those numbers making them either how reliable or how unrealiable they are.

I have a X-Terra 70 and would like something more surgical to better tell me what is in the ground, to dig less trash, and also to avoid digging newer pennies which I am getting sick of digging.

As far as the etrac TID system. Etrac TID system is superior at depth. About the only trash I've dug with my etrac is purex lids,rolled up toothpaste tubes and the older zinc fruit jar lids. And the only reason I dug these is because they are made of a good quality alloy that rings up pretty good and give a good ID on the etrac.. Now I have dug trash with the etrac, but this is usually in a site that has already produced good finds taking more chances on signals/machine numbers. Sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't. I think you'll find a lot of experienced etrac users who have dug the not so nice signal/screen numbered target only to be surprised and say to themselves,. "boy, I almost didn'y dig that one". And sometimes that one particular find is what makes your hunt so special. p.s. I see you don't like digging memorial pennies. I have bad news for you. Indian Head cents and possibly a 3- cent piece can look like a memorial cent using the etrac, so be aware.

In a nutshell, It's better than most but like all other detectors, there will be other factors that can and will change the TID and if you don't want to miss targets that might be good, dig the iffy signals.

I have had a few other detectors and without a doubt the E-Trac has the most accurate numbers and it's not even close. I am constantly shocked at the consistency of CO numbers and at depth. Fe numbers vary but in a sense you want that as it's a confirmation of depth - to me.

And, like Big Boy Bart said, I go by the sound - which is probably why I don't like the "smooth" audio option as it takes out the nuances. Yes I do use the numbers but sound is my first and last indicator. The numbers are a great reference (along with how the crosshair moves on the screen) to determine if it's a coin (or good allow) and if there is some depth there. I tell you, now that I have used the 2D screen on the E-Trac it is addicting. There is a lot of information in not just the numbers and the sound, but the movement of the crosshairs and I find that fascinating, not to mention immensely helpful.

I'm not a brand loyal guy, but I have never heard of a machine (before I ever bought an E-Trac) with a better or more accurate VDI system. I can at least confirm this comparing it to 3 other excellent machines. Is there honestly a machine with a more accurate VDI than the E-Trac, anyone?

EMS

David said:
The E-Trac with the 2 different sets of numbers has great resolution.

But I would like to know if the same type of coin on edge, at an angle, corroded, worn down more, etc. gives different readings and effects(throws off) the E-Tracs 2 sets of numbers(resolution) making it somewhat ineffective.??

*****************************************************​

"Hi David"

The answer to your question is broadly "Yes".

Take the aspect of when a coin has been 'thinned" by usage.

The Fe alteration may not be so evident, depending on the degree of thickness reduction. The E-Trac is so 'programmed' to 'normalise coins and similar targets falling within a set of pre-determined parameters.

Take note; the Fe factor in a 'noble metal' or non-magnetic material, relates NOT to any ferrous property, but to its THICKNESS.

In truly ferrous items, the Fe factor ( the Magnetic permeability of the metal) is so much greater (100's to several hundreds time more) than that of non-mag. metals, that it simply swamps the 'coinage-metals' relatively weak value of (1) if they're in close proximity.

Nickel having a ferrous factor, does affect coins in a 'detrimental' way VDI-wise compered to copper or silver coins etc.

You can probably test the effect of thinning if you have two silver coins of the same date or era, and if one is more visibly worn, then its conductivity should be read ably less..

The older Minelabs using the original 'Raw Fe-Con' display system, would easily demonstrate its ability to read the 'thinness of similar denominations of say a silver coin, via the Fe values.

That was the major complaint regarding the change in the display format, when the E-Trac first came onto the market, for you 'lost' that very useful capability. It took a while to prove the advantages of the present method.

Now we have the expanded Fe range to show us the 'Limbo' region where Ground Fe etc can hide coins that are deep, or masked by soil and other Fe items.

Respectable iron items are Fe 35, unless they've 'decayed', so any thing showing up in the 14 to 27 region, that don't really exist as such, must be 'tainted' non-ferrous targets.

THAT'S WHAT TWO-TONE FE (TTF)...or ANY numbers of tones FE....IS ALL ABOUT.

Regarding coins at various angles.....Their CON can indeed be read differently, depending on the direction you scan them....that's why you should always do a 360 degree examination of a reasonable sounding target.

Any coin that is of the clad type, should in theory reveal its internal nature, when scanned 'on edge'.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So David, that's just a brief attempt to answer your broad query......Hope it goes some way to help your enquiry....Matt.