Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:thumbup:A FIRST FOR ME

Derrelld

One if the biggest things that has been on my mind about the CTX 3030 is how well will it perform at old house sites that are just littered with nails... That's one place where my E-trac always seemed to shine while hunting in two tone ferrous... Well let me tell you... This machine again blew me away tonight!

I started off at a old park not far from where I work.. I have been experimenting with the combined all metal mode.. Where you can change the pitch of 4 separate conductive tones and having iron come up as the 5th low grunt ferrous tone. Tonight I was planning on putting it to the test. I went to an area of the park where I knew the nails were plentiful. With every swing of the detector she was grunting away.. My plan was to go slow and listen for a high chirp.. Well it didn't take long for that high chirp to come singing right out. I opened up the hole and pulled out a beautiful 1914D Barber dime :thumbup: I figured these setting must be working pretty well then :) I stayed in the area until the rain came. I was able to rescue a handful of wheats plus some clad..

I figured if I headed south of town I could maybe get out of the rain.. Another place I could try these setting was a old farm house on park property that has been pounded to death.. The last coin I found there was a 1850's large cent months ago using my Explorer SE and 6 inch coil.. I wasn't expecting much at all from this site.. I had the Explorer, Deus, and E-trac across is multiple , plus friends of mine with their explorers and E-tracs have been across this yard.. I started off going slower than slow. The machine was absolutely going nuts with all the nails in the ground. I made a pass across the only digging a few false signals. When I turned to come back across I got a nice little screaming signal at about 6 inches. I could only pick it it up if I slowly passed over it. I opened up the hole not expecting much when out popped a little green disc. My first thought was Indian but when I took a closer look I realized it was definitely something different. Im still not sure what it is.. I was hoping some of you more experienced guys here could help me out.. Its definitely a token with a shield and reef on the back. On the front is written "DR. BENNET'S MEDICINES CURE SICKNESS AND PAIN". This is one of the first of these I have ever found so I would appreciate all the help I can get. Totally pumped and not caring if I dug another target I continued to hunt. When I continued around to the back of the house I got another good high pitch coming out of the Iron. I dug down and pulled out a large sterling ring.. I still cant believe I found two keeper target at this site after all the time Ive spent there. At that particular site is the only location I felt that maybe the CTX could actually have out done the Explorer or E-trac. I dont know, when I get more confident with the machine Ill start marking targets and checking them with my other detectors. I like the idea of the target trace and the target pinpoint trace.. But I feel like its NOTsomething you should only pay attention to on deciding to dig targets.. It seems to lose its feature a little on the deep targets, and targets in mass amounts of trash.. I had lines going everywhere in my trashy site :) I truly believe you should trust your ears more than anything when deciding to dig targets. IDK maybe I just need more time with it. I do know this machine separated fantastic and I wont be putting it down for some time :detecting: Now if i can just get my hands on that small coil that goes with it :thumbup:
Thanks for looking everyone.. Good luck and happy hunting
Derrell

Nice job with the 3030! :super: I hope you get the token figured out. I have a spot that's so full of nails that I couldn't do anything there with my E-Trac in TTF. Maybe I'll try the 3030 there.

Great hunt, info on your token.

During the Civil War (1861-65) the public hoarded all the government issued coins for their bullion value (even the lowly cents). Merchants had to make change with postage stamps, paper script, and private tokens like the one you found. Last one sold for $35.

Congrats on the finds. Silver is always a welcome sight. And that token is really neat! I believe it is a Civil War token Fuld OH165N-9a R1 - Dr. Bennett's Medicines Cure Sickness And Pain. With shield and wreath on reverse.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cincinnati-ohio-civil-war-token-dr-244101954

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1863-civil-war-token-dr-bennett-140374132

HH Randy

Nice finds Derrell. Congrats on a first. :thumbup:

The token is from Ohio obviously and is listed in Fuld's book as OH-165N-9A (as already mentioned).
R-1 is an indicator of more then 5000 known to exist btw. I believe it was listed earlier as like a R3 and has been downgraded in rarity.
If you want to learn more about CWT tokens go to cwtsociety.com then they have further links from there.
Here is a mate to yours in my collection.
[attachment 234808 drb.jpg]