Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tid’s of dimes vs copper cents

Listener

It seems when I hunt various areas I find dimes mostly read 89, but range from 88-90. Then copper cents slip in there at 90-92 sometimes. Some areas I get a lot of 90/91 ‘s and dig nothing but copper cents. ?? Yet dimes if there read 89. It is confusing. So I did some checking on 1982 cents the year they changed from copper to zinc w/ copper plate. The zinc coins all read 85/86, the copper ones 90/91. Same as early cents up to 1982 zinc coins.
What are other Deus users experiencing?
My basic knowledge is detectors send eddy currents out and measure the amount received and the circuitry depending on sophistication can translate the current into measured numbers to determine approximate coin metal and size. Question is? Does the copper cent core (present a larger copper target) than the copper wafer in clad dimes and therefore cause the higher reading?
Or is my Deus2 screwed up?

It seems when I hunt various areas I find dimes mostly read 89, but range from 88-90. Then copper cents slip in there at 90-92 sometimes. Some areas I get a lot of 90/91 ‘s and dig nothing but copper cents. ?? Yet dimes if there read 89. It is confusing. So I did some checking on 1982 cents the year they changed from copper to zinc w/ copper plate. The zinc coins all read 85/86, the copper ones 90/91. Same as early cents up to 1982 zinc coins.
What are other Deus users experiencing?
My basic knowledge is detectors send eddy currents out and measure the amount received and the circuitry depending on sophistication can translate the current into measured numbers to determine approximate coin metal and size. Question is? Does the copper cent core (present a larger copper target) than the copper wafer in clad dimes and therefore cause the higher reading?
Or is my Deus2 screwed up?
Mine does the same. I just keep digging them because they could they could be silver dimes or small silver rings.

ANY little tiny thing will skew the ID. The OP has obviously been doing this awhile so it’s not necessary to mention, but it very much is the reason that as an “old coin hunter” I dig the 80-98 range. I’m never hunting newer places, always old, so I can’t take the risk of picking specific numbers. I normally see clad dimes at 90-91 but different programs can even change that somewhat. I don’t think there’s a fault with the machine.