Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TIME FOR THE 2021 SILVER “WEIGH IN”

IDXMonster

It’s no secret to anyone who’s been paying any attention over the last 5 years that I cannot sing the praises of the CTX loudly enough. It might be annoying to some, exasperating to others, downright criminal to a few…but results don’t lie.
I’m in a very large contingent of hunters who simply hunt for the thrill, the challenge, the love of being able to go out and drag something home for “free”…we don’t hunt permissions. We don’t rely solely on picking easy coins out of tear outs. We go GRIND OUT that 4-6 hour hunt because we are driven to by some inner force. Is it “wrong” to do it some other way? No. But let’s not pretend that we’re playing the same game either, this is HARD CORE HUNTING that is HARD TO DO! You’d best bring your “A” game or go hang with the wife at the spa.
I don’t post my finds very often because it tends to get wearisome for the onlookers….ANOTHER Merc…ANOTHER GW….ANOTHER blah blah…it gets old. So I’ll club everyone over the head just ONCE, here are my silver items for the season. The big weird thing is heavy silver plate.
FA322DDF-9885-40CF-90EF-BD2EF317B7B9.jpeg

incredible haul of silver !!

You are right we don't hunt the same sites, I hit ghost towns most that have been dozed or farmed over and you better bring your a game along as well. Regardless of detecting genres your stash of silvers is quite impressive to any serious detectorist. I think you should post your finds on a regular basis for all to enjoy. The big Plate is my favorite piece, very unique. Is it hall marked? One thing for sure MInelabs rock!!!
HH Jeff

Thanks Clare and Jimmy! Jeff…the thing I think is a “brooch”?….I don’t see any marks even with a Zeis 10x. I wish I knew more about it as it was found on public land which was once home to a religious gathering site. The actual tabernacle from 1916 is still standing in fact.
Let me ask you…and this has puzzled me because others have mentioned it also….these “ghost towns”. I am aware of WHAT they are, but I’m not aware of how people go about hunting them, as I don’t know WHO the actual land now belongs to. Do you guys have to scare up the present landowners for permission? Are the ones you hunt in control of a government agency? I would like nothing more than to give that a shot, but am ”in the dark” so to speak about the nuances. Thoughts?
Thanks and thanks!😃

It’s no secret to anyone who’s been paying any attention over the last 5 years that I cannot sing the praises of the CTX loudly enough. It might be annoying to some, exasperating to others, downright criminal to a few…but results don’t lie.
I’m in a very large contingent of hunters who simply hunt for the thrill, the challenge, the love of being able to go out and drag something home for “free”…we don’t hunt permissions. We don’t rely solely on picking easy coins out of tear outs. We go GRIND OUT that 4-6 hour hunt because we are driven to by some inner force. Is it “wrong” to do it some other way? No. But let’s not pretend that we’re playing the same game either, this is HARD CORE HUNTING that is HARD TO DO! You’d best bring your “A” game or go hang with the wife at the spa.
I don’t post my finds very often because it tends to get wearisome for the onlookers….ANOTHER Merc…ANOTHER GW….ANOTHER blah blah…it gets old. So I’ll club everyone over the head just ONCE, here are my silver items for the season. The big weird thing is heavy silver plate.View attachment 21624
Kevin, it’s all good, nice digs! Yes the large brooch is cool and the service man’s pin As well. Those are a piece of history, enjoyable to find! Congratulation on a terrific year!
Tony NJ

Kevin, it’s all good, nice digs! Yes the large brooch is cool and the service man’s pin As well. Those are a piece of history, enjoyable to find! Congratulation on a terrific year!
Tony NJ
Thank you my friend! And good eye on the service pin, I should’ve probably arranged the finds a little better but I just dumped them out!😂 One project for this winter is to get some display stuff to start cataloging these finds, they’d look SO much better and deserve to be looked at. The more I look at the brooch, the more I respect how much WORK it took to make, it’s really something!
I’ll put up a video on my channel of the latest incarnation of my Explorer2 in a week or so, I’ll guarantee you’ll chuckle. Or frown. Or yell at me. You’ll do something.😃

I for one really dont mind seeing another Merc or Barber or a Rosie or what ever. Its the story behind the find thats as enjoyable as the recovery. For us out here in the Pacific Northwest the weather forecast looks cold and wet for awhile so living vicariously through the folks here keeps me focused.

I like seeing any find that anyone wants to post. Also I agree with Ronstar about wanting to hear the story behind it. Hearing details about how the site was found and how the person went about hunting it is what interests me the most. The details of the hunts and the sites have given me many tips over the years. The finds posted with the stories are icing on the cake.

Good feedback guys, I’ll try to get things up that have some substance and the details of how they were found. I don’t know if there’s anything I’m going to add that’ll be “news” but you never know…we all started somewhere at one point, maybe it’ll be beneficial to the newer people at least!

So, the ghost towns I hunt are on private property and would fall into the category of "permissions". I always find the owners with platt books, word of mouth etc.. and obtain full permission before detecting. Old platt books are essential to finding the original location of said towns. It helps to be able to overlay old maps onto new ones and being able to align section lines is crucial because roads and property lines change but section lines don't. You don't have to be a computer wiz but being able to read maps is helpful.
HH Jeff

Thank you my friend! And good eye on the service pin, I should’ve probably arranged the finds a little better but I just dumped them out!😂 One project for this winter is to get some display stuff to start cataloging these finds, they’d look SO much better and deserve to be looked at. The more I look at the brooch, the more I respect how much WORK it took to make, it’s really something!
I’ll put up a video on my channel of the latest incarnation of my Explorer2 in a week or so, I’ll guarantee you’ll chuckle. Or frown. Or yell at me. You’ll do something.😃
Kevin, good idea to display some. I still have an Exp II too so I’ll check that video out for sure.
Tony

Did u find any gold rings in the soil. Was wondering how many
or you just digging the silver tones
I am strictly a silver hunter so the gold is generally disced out. However, if the site is right, I’ll dig nickels. This machine has found ALOT of nickels, so obviously gold would be found also if it was there.👍

So, the ghost towns I hunt are on private property and would fall into the category of "permissions". I always find the owners with platt books, word of mouth etc.. and obtain full permission before detecting. Old platt books are essential to finding the original location of said towns. It helps to be able to overlay old maps onto new ones and being able to align section lines is crucial because roads and property lines change but section lines don't. You don't have to be a computer wiz but being able to read maps is helpful.
HH Jeff
That’s what I was wondering! And that kind of permission is different than what I meant. The guys who post many coins from old houses in town which were dug at 3-5” deep….that’s what I meant. Nothing “wrong” with that at all, but the effort and skill required to obtain those compared to otherwise…different game altogether.

Kevin, Great bunch of silver! Enjoy your posts and videos. Have learned a lot from your Youtube channel.
Keith

That’s what I was wondering! And that kind of permission is different than what I meant. The guys who post many coins from old houses in town which were dug at 3-5” deep….that’s what I meant. Nothing “wrong” with that at all, but the effort and skill required to obtain those compared to otherwise…different game altogether.
Kevin, Laplander
If I happen to see a demolition of a home in my town, I try to get to the front lawn before they erect a six foot fence. Sometimes it pays off.
No ghost towns near me in NJ
Tony

Kevin, Great bunch of silver! Enjoy your posts and videos. Have learned a lot from your Youtube channel.
Keith
I’m glad it’s been somewhat useful Keith, I’ve been very fortunate to have a couple of VERY good operators who have shown me some things. Other stuff I’ve learned on my own. My goal for the most part has always been to have a channel that someone can use to “advance” their hunting, cuz you and I and many here know….it is NOT easy. Thanks!

I could look at that picture daily. It inspires me to get off my butt and detect more than I do with my new CTX. Tried the last two weeks of Dec 2021, but lot of chores to help the wife in the crazy period she goes through this time of the year.
Love your videos of you adding to your treasure hoard. Oh, and my silver finds for the year are 1 silver washington quarter with my 800 and one silver rosie with my CTX3030. Only had the CTX about a month. Plan to really increase that in 2022. since I sold my 800 and will be using the CTX for my silver hunts and Civil War relic hunting.

Last edited:
Well done! Thats a lovely pile of silver. My CTX just came in today and hopefully I'll get it out for the first time tomorrow.