Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips for shortening a Tall Man rod

WestTn

I recently purchased a used White's detector which has a Tall Man rod. I am 5' 10" and was thinking about simply shortening the rod a few inches. Does anyone have any recommendations for or against this or tips on what kind of saw to use? Is there a better approach to this that doesn't cost me anything?

Howdy WestTn

If you have a White's detector with the three piece rod and pistol grip mounted meter as in XL Pro, DFX, XLT, 5900Di Pro SL etc. you could do away with the middle "S" rod and make it a two piece "straight rod" setup with the Tall Man rod. I use this setup on my XL Pro and 5900 CB. It is just geat and balances well, especially with the 5.3 coil mounted......hope this helps.

Randy

A piece of cake, have done it many times. Saw off however many inches you want to remove and then drill a new hole for the snap lock. Just be sure you get the holes square 90 degrees to the coil. The easy way is to draw a line down the shaft from the existing holes before cutting off what you want so you will know where to drill.

I've used a fine tooth hacksaw like you'd use for sawing metal. About 24 teeth per inch, and I've also used a small cutoff wheel mount in a die grinder or Dremal tool. Either works very well. The holes for the spring clips are 1/4" diameter. You can mount a coil on the rod, slide the rod into the upper rod, make sure the coil is straight and then drill through the holes in the upper rod through the shorted rod. Using the holes in the upper rod as your drill jig.

There's nothing wrong with the different suggestions, but you can buy a new standard rod and hardware quite reasonably from Whites.
BB

Thanks for the tips everyone. It sounds like I will go the route of shortening the rod as suggested.

For me, the standard rod is too short and the tall man's rod is 10" longer which is too long. (I'm 6'-3") I have the DX-1 probe mounted on the S-Rod which limits adjust-ability of the lower rod, so cutting three inches off of a long rod is my solution...takes about 2 minutes and I have the perfect length rod.

Use a pipe cutter...couple of turns and makes a neat cut....if you don't have one your neighbor does..Never used one have your neighbor do it where you have marked off...Piece of cake to replace the pop attachment,,,Don't take too much off as you may sell in future and next guy may be taller..I couldn't believe how long the one I had a while back as it was made for a 7 footer...

Or, you could just send me the tall man rod & I'll send you a standard...And pay the freight both ways!

Happy Trails, DR

Barguy,
Received the standard rod yesterday. Tall Man Rod is on it's way to you. Thanks for your help - you were a big help.