Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tips for Virginia's red soil needed

baspinall

I am going to digging in Virginia this Spring and would love to get some feedback on what people are using in that soil. I usually hunt my PA soil in a modified "Hi Pro" setting or a "Deep Silver" setting. I plan on using the "Relic" program but would love some tips on what types of tweaks work for people in high mineralized soil like VA. Would you turn the Hot Rock Reject setting pretty high?

Brian

I have a couple of red dirt sites here in TN that are very close to the red dirt of Culpeper, VA. I will be getting a V3 for my own use after what I saw it do in that dirt. I was using a friend of mine's V3 to set it up for him. This is what I found to work best in it:

First off, scratch the preset relic mode. The only thing you need to use it for is a base to adjust the machine so that you can save it as its own program.

Under "search audio" put the machine in All Metal mode. Then go under your Sensitivity settings and up your all metal sensitivity to match around about what your discrimination sensitivity setting is.

Then go under your search frequencies, and select the single 7 frequency.

And this one was just a personal preference but I liked the recovery speed to be at 40. I'll explain why later.

Ummm take the machine out of auto track and put it on manual, and make it a + 2-3 offset. And remember to GB often in that soil.

Keep in mind that basically everything is going to read as iron in that soil....no matter if it's shallow or deep. If you do like some guys and only dig anything that is in the + numbers, you are going to have a very empty pouch. That's where the 40 recovery rate comes in. At that speed, you will be able to tell nails very easy, because they will give a short double blip sound. A minie ball for example, may come in on your ID numbers just like a nail will...but it wont have the double blip sound.

I will be able to know more when I get my own V3 and get to really start tinkering with it. But the results I had by adjusting it like above, made a big difference in the bad soil. You can see the video I did with it on YouTube:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bx7qJ4K0sK0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bx7qJ4K0sK0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well one person here and I will not give out names seems to think that the V3 will be absolutly no good in VA's soil. As they PMed me this. I disagree big time.

He thinks I should sell my V3 and buy a Tejon.

Brian

It is not uncommon for one person to recommend one brand or model over another. Chances are he knows the Tejon better than the V3. If he has even owned a V3, it sounds like he didn't take the time to learn how to use it. The best detector for anyone is the one you know how to use.

I swing an MXT....

Relic mode will work but you are better off covering your readout and digging everything that beeps.

Prospecting mode actually will give you the percentage readout and this readout was much better in actually predicting what was in the ground . The higher precentage tended to agree with the fact that the item detected was not an iron or metal object.

That ground gave me the mumbles each time I detected it. After the third time, I admitted defeat and have not signed up since.

That does not mean you will not find relics, as you will be able to find relics. Just do not believe what your detector display is telling you as it will lie to you like a cheap whore. !!!

I had uncovered a 3-ringer and had it sitting on top of th soil. I swung my coil over it and it consistently read hot rock (in the relic mode). It was not until I actually picked up the bullet and air tested it that it finally read bullet.

I'm sure you have heard that the PI detectors are doing much better. They have the ability to better cancel the mineralization that that nasty Culpeper dirt brings with it.

Regardless of what you decide to do, you will have a great time and you will find relics. Just make sure you are ready to dig every target you hear and just simply ignore your display.

Hmmm, that's an interesting approach using prospector mode. Did you try using the 22K freq. ? I am assuming my ears are going to be assaulted :)

I have a video that will be coming to YouTube in the next couple of days. I had no idea you posted this over here, so it's kinda funny that I did what I did. I borrowed a friend of mine's Tejon on Saturday and went to my bullet site. Yep, that same place I'm digging the bullets in, in the V3 video. In this new video, I had my F-75 down there too and I show you exactly what a Tejon will do in that hot dirt....or well, let's just say what it WONT do. I tell ya this much....with it jacked up in the orange in Sensitivity and set at FOIL discrimination...I show you two bullets at around 5" deep in that red iron dirt, that it barely makes a one way chirp on every other sweep or so. In other words, it don't cut the mustard for that dirt. You'll walk over so much stuff that it ain't funny! I was a Tesoro guy at one time until I tried another machine and started seeing what all I was walking over.

TRUST ME...if you already have the V3, you have 10x the machine of a Tejon. And I have proof on video...and that don't lie.

We will be looking forward to seeing your new video Dan.

Prospecting mode for me was way too noisy. The beauty of the V3 was being able to run it in a very smooth All Metal mode. With a faster recovery rate setting (40) you'll be able to tell nails from bullets/buttons from the short response they will give. Like someone else said, you can throw the IDs out the window but with All Metal ability, you are at least being able to HEAR the targets in the ground, and with the V3s being versitle, you can get a good ear REALLY fast of targets to dig and not dig. That is a HUGE advantage to have up there. The PI machines are currently ruling the roost....but think about it....there ain't a PI machine with a discriminator yet...they all run in basic all metal and you have to use your ears to determine to dig or not to dig. Trust me, I have a TDI and I know. With the V3 in all metal set how I described below....I'll almost guarantee you will dig as much (if not more) high conductive targets as the pulse detectors. Now on low conductors like the buttons, they have an advantage for sensitivity and depth, but other than that, if you are hunting in all metal with your V3 or have a good VLF machine with good all metal, you can handle that iron dirt with no problem. Just go by sound and not by ID.

I know this is the V3 forum but you guys saw the V3 video I filmed at this same site. So you guys know what it can do. I will be getting a V3 for myself in the next few weeks! I decided to do this video due to some flak I took a few years back regarding the Tejon machine. I had no idea there would be a discussion about it VS the V3 machine in bad dirt. So here ya go...here's me with my F-75 and the Tejon. See and hear for yourself of how good or bad it does in that dirt.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbJLXeWnBiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VbJLXeWnBiM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbJLXeWnBiM

Thanks for the video Dan. That is quite a difference between the two. Sure see why your happy to have the 75 back!

Brian

Cool video! You gotta get that V3 back Daniel
Thanks,
Aaron

Good instructive video Daniel. I really enjoy your side by side comparisons.

I'd like to see you take the TDI and the V3 to your bullet site (red dirt) and do a side by side (duel), lets see what they do.

I wonder how much difference in depth if the f75 would have been in disc mode at pull tab level?
just curious as I have never used a Tejon but have had great success with my F75 in the past,Ray.

In iron dirt like where I hunt at, the Tejon don't work right in its all metal mode. Trust me, I tried. In its all metal mode, it still "sees the ground" because there is no real perfect ground balance point with it. The ground itself is practically iron. So if try all metal with it, you either have to set it negative and hear some ground noise or set it positive and deal with the constant sound of it picking up the ground. There have been several folks say over the years that the Tejon was designed to hunt in disc mode and not all metal. Either way, the depth claims for the Tejon were made by using the settings I had it at in DISC mode. The disc mode setting was set at the O in FOIL, not at TAB like someone else said. It's a good machine for trashy sites but it never has been a good depth machine.

You can go to DIV to sign up. It seems, I guess because of the economy, they have extra openings for both March hunts.