Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To Dig Or Not To Dig

tippyhound

In the past week I read a post on one of the forums about questionable iron readings. It involved getting good quarter or dime audio readings but questionable Fe/Co readings.

The poster advised checking the Quick Mask program on these signals. The Quick Mask was run with no discrimination and when checking the signal in question he advised that if the signal indicator was showing any where on the lower right side of the box not to dig as his experience proved those signals to be iron each and every time and if the indicator showed on the top right to middle of that box to dig those signals.

Now yesterday I ran into 4 different signals in a trashy park that had the purist cleanest high pitched quarter/ dime audio signals you ever heard. The FE numbers were really low 02 to 04 but the CO numbers read 46 to 47 bouncing back and forth. Now all these signals were 6"s plus in depth and when I checked the Quick Mask program I got a indicator reading in the lower right side of the box on each and every signal, so I didn't dig. In past years I owned a Fisher CZ-6 a two frequency detector that got great depth but was bad about giving good coin readings on small bits of iron and nails, and I dug more then my share of those nails.

Problem is that pretty clean audio signal and CO reading of 46/47 is haunting me. There is quite a bit of iron in this park but most of the trash is aluminum junk. I was running a pretty open discrimination pattern, using high trash setting in the Pro menu.

I would appreciate your opinion as to weather I should be checking those kind of signals. I know when in doubt I should always check but I am 65 yrs old and my knees don't work like they used to so getting up and down isn't as easy as it once was. Your experience and opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Rick

Well it seems my knees aren't the only problem I'm having. Went out for a while this afternoon and the FE02/04 CO 46/47 with that sweet high pitch sound kept popping up. Finally after about 4 or 5 of these I put my glasses on and took a close look on my screen. Some how my pattern had been accidentally opened up in the lower right hand corner of the screen allowing the FE02/04 CO46/47 to give me false signals that sounded so good. I have no idea how this came to be but I edited the screen to get rid of the problem and all is well again. I guess the gremlins are at it again this being Halloween and all.

Did manage to Eyck out a 1951 D Wheat penny (my first Wheat with the E-Trac)using the Quick Mask on a not so good sounding signal. The audio cleaned right up and read FE12/ CO 38 at 5"s. That Quick Mask really does help on iffy signals. I also found my first Silver War nickle dated 1943 P reading FE12/CO14 also a first for my E-Trac.

Thanks to all - Rick

Rick, that is how i use my quick mask to check the iron false. If your new to the machine go ahead and dig a couple just so you know what it's telling you. Sometimes digging them will reveal nothing but a rust spot where something once was. What type of pattern are you using? Custom made or stock?

Thanks for the reply EZrider. I am using the coin program that came with my Minelab E-Trac with a few modifacations . What I found out yesterday was somehow my pattern got a open window in the lower right corner and that is what was causing me to get all those readings. I corrected the pattern and the problem is gone now.

I really like the Quick Mask program as I sometimes get a squirrley sounding signal because of something close by and I will use the Quick Mask and it will clean it up and make it easier to decide weather or not to dig. I dug a 1889 V nickle yesterday that the Quick mask helped me sort out because I was in some really messy trash. Far as I,m concerned it's one of the best aids the machine offers.

Thanks again for the come back. Rick

tippyhound,

Don't be afraid to dig signals that are off the regular coin line.

One of the things that I really like about the E-trac over and above my old Explorer XS is the ability to hunt in QUICK MASK all the time AND be able to see the digital FE and CO numbers. Being able to evaluate both, while listening to the audio, helps when looking for coins hiding in the junk. (I use Audio - Multi Conductive sounds)

I usually hunt in Quick Mask with most of the screen open. I have my Quick Mask set at FE 26 and CO 5. Most of the coins will show up somewhere close to the FE 12 line, BUT NOT ALWAYS. I often find coins with rusty nails that read with a good CO number but a bad (more ferrous) FE number. Like FE 24 CO 46. I look for a somewhat consistent CO number and then see what happens with the FE number. The Conductive number may vary a couple digits, but usually stays in the same neighborhood. The Fe Number may jump around up and down the scale some, but I've been blown away at the number of coins I've found that were WAY off the 12 line.

Rich

Rich (Utah),

Know what you mean about the Quick Mask Program. Have used it many times to help identify iffy, choppy signals.

Used it today on a choppy signal reading CO 41 and the FE numbers jumping all over the place showing 6" deep.. The signal disappeared on me when I dug down a few inch's and I couldn't located it with the E-Trac or my pin pointer. I switched over to the Quick Mask program where I run no discrimination and was able to locate the signal again. I continued to dig and was rewarded with a very warn 1918 Mercury Dime that was burnt black on the back from laying on cinders. Rick

Tippy, that a perfect example of what the ET can do. I think the unmasking that it can do is why so many new people "to the machine". Are able to turn it on and make great finds. Once a person gets fluent with the controls. Learns to setup and create patterns. Then things really shine. At least now there is this forum and tons of info on the net. When i got my ET. There wasn't a ET section on this forum. No numbers or charts to go by. I had to learn it from scratch.

One of the less talked about things is the stock patterns that come with it. While they are good for a start. They are made to work anywhere in the world "for the most part". Unlike US detector mfg who have to make a international model for over seas.

What I'm getting to is find or learn to make custom patterns for the targets your after. Alot of the stock coin program we don't use, and a little bit we do. Here in the US.