Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To use or not to use

Will1877

I have been having a good deal of success using 2TF as prescribed by G4E, but I have seen some mention as of late when to use or not to use it. I have been running it exclusively. Im not sure if my sites are heavy iron laden but have used it any way. I like all the tones the machine has to offer but I like the idea of using a mostly open screen to eliminate nulling hence missing targets. Should I start opting to use machine in relic mode with all tones on? Conductive tones or ferrous tones in this setting. Or should I be using a more discriminate pattern with that many tones. I have noticed in two recent yards in two tone ferrous that I could not get a clear signal decent one way hardly anything the other but had a flash of good numbers every signal was crap unless surface. The entire time around these targets machine was making other noise and never gave me clear tone. I was in auto sens. I wonder if a discriminate pattern I would have heard target better or maybe not at all. Both sites I was using my new ultimate coil. I was still finding coins but I thought jeesh this is a lot of work to narrow down a five inch wheat penny and started to get concerned that I was missing things because I would get high tone but could not duplicate it which normally means junk but several times today had tone maybe three out of six swings and told myself if I can isolate in pin point or wiggle to dig. These resulted in a few wheats and one bullet. But out of all my digs today and yesterday nothing was a clear dig me target. Im concerned. Could this be something I need to get used to with the bigger ultimate coil. This thing covers ground no doubt and pin points flawlessly for coil its size but by no means does it separate like the pro coil. In my opinion but am new to it.

If you were getting lots of iron grunts with your flashes of good signals it could be iron falsing. Try running manual sensitivity at 12 and see if it helps separate the signals better. That large coil should have no trouble getting 6+" on that low sensitivity unless you have very mineralized soil. Try different levels to see what works best.

Try Bill S's trashy park pattern in conductive. Smooth audio response helps me separate good from false but it takes getting use too.

HH

Just MHO, but the reason for such a large size coil is to go deeper down then six inchs by uping the sens to 28 or so and get the deep and iffy's. I run a 6x8 Sef at max sens in TTF and it still amazes my how deep a little coil can find the good stuff. Good luck !!

I guess I bought this coil because I read it seperates nearly as well as stock and the larger size means more ground coverage hence more targets recovered compared to time. I think I need to start going back to some discrimination pattern as well. I have all those great tones why not use there information and switch on the fly if I start getting a lot of nulling. Its just hard for me to want to do that cause I have done really well in 2TF.

I have the NEL Tornado which is the same size as the Ultimate coil and have found many deep old coins in dense trashy areas with it.
As opposed to a small 6" coil, these larger coils have the advantage of sweeping areas quicker and more importantly detecting deep targets.
Small, medium and larger coils all have their advantages and disadvantages. I would not use a 17" coil in a new trashy park. Conversely, i would not use a 6" coil in an old pounded park where i suspect deep oldies might still be there. The trick with a 12X13" coil is to push the envelope in order to find deeper oldies in trashy areas which can be a challenging task.
If deep targets in trashy areas are not the objective then a smaller coil might be better.

Successfully separating and pinpointing with these larger coils in dense trash won't happen over night. With time and patience though it will happen.
It took me several attempts at it before something finally clicked and now i use that setup often usually with an open pattern but sometimes with an aluminum discriminating pattern, usually using Ferrous but sometimes using Conductive all dependent on the particular site.
All i can say is sweep slow and listen carefully to what the machine is telling you. Once you learn the machine's language its all down hill from there.

Pinpointing a good target in dense trash is probably one of the more difficult things to master with these larger coils. I'll be honest, sometimes i'll spend a good 5 to10 minutes or so wiggle pinpointing under dense trash conditions if my gut tells me there's a good target down there.
Fast Recovery is a must along with very small wiggles. Concentrate not only on the suspected good target but sometimes its best to isolate the nearby trash first and if necessary maybe even dig it up first.
Having said all that, using a larger coil in dense trashy areas might not be for everyone.

I think people who stick to just one pattern, same old settings and same old coil regardless of the site and its trash- type&density are missing out on the flexibility of the eTRAC. I typically change settings, patterns and once in a while coils too during a detecting session.
In other words try not to get stuck on just one routine.
One size does not fit all (sites).