Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today in history,,, April 9,1865

GA1dad

Today in history,,,

While sitting in a room in Appomattox Courthouse Va., Generals Lee and Grant developed and agreed to the terms of surrender, bringing an end to the Civil War. I've been reading a book about Lee's last few years and wow does it describe the grief and struggles that he felt to make that decision.

Ive driven thru a part of the Appomattox battlefield. It is a beautiful place now ,, looking at it ,, its hard to imagine what happened there many years ago.
I will have to admit ,, I felt kind of guilty,,, looking out over that land ,, wishing I could detect it ,, but knowing it wouldn't be right.

Today in history,,,

While sitting in a room in Appomattox Courthouse Va., Generals Lee and Grant developed and agreed to the terms of surrender, bringing an end to the Civil War. I've been reading a book about Lee's last few years and wow does it describe the grief and struggles that he felt to make that decision.
It grieved General Lee to fight against the Union and the Flag of the United States, the same country and flag that he proudly served and fought for in the old Army, same as Many other Confetrit' officers did. This was the tragedy of that Horrible war. Brother against Brother and Friend against Friend. General Lee was hoping that his beloved state of Virginia would not seceed from the Union and that war could somehow be avoided. The General stated that "Virginia will decide my fate". When Virginia secceeded, General Lee followed her. This alone, tells how most all Southerners felt of their state. Most felt that their state was their country, and they felt an undying allegiance to their state. General Lee stated later in life that had he had a chance to do it all over again, he would have chosen a career other than a military career.