Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today's Finds

duggr

Not counting the Trash. Seems like i've been scratching a lot of nice coins lately

Nice old dimes. If you're not using Target Trace Pinpoint to fine tune the target's location, give it a shot by slowly sweeping the target area from various directions. If that don't work.....dig a bigger hole!

Seriously.......congrats on the dimes. Scratched or not, seated ladies are beautiful coins. Much nicer design than those we have in circulation today.

Digger said:
Nice old dimes. If you're not using Target Trace Pinpoint to fine tune the target's location, give it a shot by slowly sweeping the target area from various directions. If that don't work.....dig a bigger hole!

Seriously.......congrats on the dimes. Scratched or not, seated ladies are beautiful coins. Much nicer design than those we have in circulation today.

Target trace is pretty much worthless on these coins I'm digging as they are 7 plus inches and a trace hardly if at all shows up on
the screen. I agree about the Beauty of the earlier coins compared to the ones today.I'm going to start digging bigger holes. Alot of these
coins are pinpointing off center. I think the dimes are at an angle,

Yes, angled coins through off the pinpoint, and the deeper they are, the more it throws it off. If you are hunting old, heavily hunted sites, then many of the coins you detect will be on edge and angled. Best solution is wider plugs and use a pinpointer.

If scratching is an issue get your hands on a pistol probe pinpointer. It takes 2 9 volt batteries and depth can get 4 to 5 inches. Has threshold and sensitivity adjustment. Probably an inch deeper that the new AT Propointer from Garrett.

Man I would be proud to find anything like that down here, scratched or not. I recently looked at some old maps on
the net here wondering why I don't find coins like those older ones I see on here. I did a comparison of maps
progressing backwards in time of the state. More recent maps first to the oldest maps I could find of the state of
South Carolina. What I found was the state being almost non-populated in the area from just east of Columbia
to the coast north of Georgetown, up the coast to the state line and back across westward to the I95 area. Historically,
I could not find any early marches during war time other than the one pursuit of General Francis Marion by the Red
Coats. There are areas here with possible early American habitation but almost all of them are under government
protection as historical Francis Marion campsites or early Indian habitation. The oldest coin I have found is an 1860
British One Cent. Most really old finds are in the 1920's and 30's. In my investigation I found that 95% of the civil war
marches, camps, and railroad moves were north, west, and south of Columbia and east over to Georgetown and south
from Georgetown to Savannah.

Way to go on the finds. As you progress, believe it or not you will go back and find more where you found that. Just
the right amount of moisture and it really bangs out the finds.

glenn3-88 said:
Man I would be proud to find anything like that down here, scratched or not. I recently looked at some old maps on
the net here wondering why I don't find coins like those older ones I see on here. I did a comparison of maps
progressing backwards in time of the state. More recent maps first to the oldest maps I could find of the state of
South Carolina. What I found was the state being almost non-populated in the area from just east of Columbia
to the coast north of Georgetown, up the coast to the state line and back across westward to the I95 area. Historically,
I could not find any early marches during war time other than the one pursuit of General Francis Marion by the Red
Coats. There are areas here with possible early American habitation but almost all of them are under government
protection as historical Francis Marion campsites or early Indian habitation. The oldest coin I have found is an 1860
British One Cent. Most really old finds are in the 1920's and 30's. In my investigation I found that 95% of the civil war
marches, camps, and railroad moves were north, west, and south of Columbia and east over to Georgetown and south

Way to go on the finds. As you progress, believe it or not you will go back and find more where you found that. Just

Thanks Glenn,
Have you ever tried to see if there are any "OLD" Fairgrounds that you can hunt! Thats where
the Goodies are at. My CTX is finding the old coins that were missed that are deep and on edge.
Can't wait to get an intimate Knowledge (If you will ) of the CTX
Doug

tcornel said:
If scratching is an issue get your hands on a pistol probe pinpointer. It takes 2 9 volt batteries and depth can get 4 to 5 inches. Has threshold and sensitivity adjustment. Probably an inch deeper that the new AT Propointer from Garrett.

I Have a garrett AT Pro pointer that works great. I just need to dig wider holes and be a little more gentle
and not get in a hurry about it.

duggr said:
glenn3-88 said:

Thanks Glenn,
Have you ever tried to see if there are any "OLD" Fairgrounds that you can hunt! Thats where
the Goodies are at. My CTX is finding the old coins that were missed that are deep and on edge.
Doug

Yes and I have been trying to contact the people for a year now and can't get a response. The fairgrounds here where
I live has been there since I was big enough to remember and as I understand it, it was there many years prior to that
and I am almost 64. The problem is I live down here in South Carolina and it is owned by some off the wall corporation
in New York and there are signs posted every 20 feet on the locked fence stating "MONITORED BY COUNTY SHERRIFF DEPT."
I have some good contacts at the sheriff dept. I think I am going to call in some favors next time one of their deputies gets stuck
in a ditch with the neighbor's wife. LOL. I bet there is better than a hundred pounds of old silver not counting the lost rings.

glenn3-88 said:
duggr said:
glenn3-88 said:
Wow! You better hit that area Glenn!

Thanks Glenn,
Doug

Yes and I have been trying to contact the people for a year now and can't get a response. The fairgrounds here where
I live has been there since I was big enough to remember and as I understand it, it was there many years prior to that
and I am almost 64. The problem is I live down here in South Carolina and it is owned by some off the wall corporation
in New York and there are signs posted every 20 feet on the locked fence stating "MONITORED BY COUNTY SHERRIFF DEPT."
I have some good contacts at the sheriff dept. I think I am going to call in some favors next time one of their deputies gets stuck
in a ditch with the neighbor's wife. LOL. I bet there is better than a hundred pounds of old silver not counting the lost rings.

duggr you have it right with old fairgrounds that's been one of my favorite places to look my fairgrounds have been there since 1879 to today , only found 1 seated there but I know there's more . What is the age of your fairgrounds seems like it's seated rich . I have over a 100 barbers there and only one seated :confused: sube

sube said:
duggr you have it right with old fairgrounds that's been one of my favorite places to look my fairgrounds have been there since 1879 to today , only found 1 seated there but I know there's more . What is the age of your fairgrounds seems like it's seated rich . I have over a 100 barbers there and only one seated :confused: sube
Sube the Fairgrounds I'm hunting goes back to 1887, but I believe it was in use before it was"Officially" titlesd a Fairgrounds.
It seems like most of the Seated were around where the the Grandstand area was an it with Iron.Although they
have turned up elsewhere as well. So far 13 seated have come from there and I dug 11 of them.

Hi Dugger ,

Good to see your great coins your finding.

Tcornel has some good advice about avoiding scratching. When you dig your initial plug a old coin is tipicly another 2 to 3 inches down, just out of reach from your typical pointer. So digging deeper results in scratched coin if it's not in the center of the plug.
I tried the pistilprob and that helped a lot but the TRX I bought a year latter works much better than the pistilprob.
Knowing what direction to dig after your initial plug will avoid many scratched coin s.

Hey Doug, i agree with coondog and Jason.
Since i picked up the TRX PPer my scratch count is dang near zero. My Garrett PPer (RIP) when working was no contest compared to the TRX.
I also dig wider plugs for any target 6 inches or deeper in these areas. Many of the oldies i find in pounded park areas are deep, on edge or have nearby iron or other junk metal maybe skewing the detector's pinpoint accuracy. Probably the reason they've been walked over by others.

Nice goin on all those seateds too. You got yourself a seated honey hole for sure.
They're a semi-rare find around here as this area wasn't heavily settled til the later 1800s.