Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today's in-the-field comparisons between the Equinox and CTX...

I am impressed with the NOX going head to head with the CTX utilizing the 17 inch coil. I use that coil a lot. If it can match the depth of the 17 with a standard coil from the Nox, I wonder what will happen when they release the larger coil for that unit?
Jess

i'm a ctx user using nox from 2 or 3 weeks.. i can tell in high mineralized soil the nox seems to have a better stable id at better deep than ctx with same size coil.. the only thing i'm going to prefer on ctx is the pinpointer.. i find the pinpointer of the nox not very accurate like my ctx!

BetaGod said:
i'm a ctx user using nox from 2 or 3 weeks.. i can tell in high mineralized soil the nox seems to have a better stable id at better deep than ctx with same size coil.. the only thing i'm going to prefer on ctx is the pinpointer.. i find the pinpointer of the nox not very accurate like my ctx!

One of the factory tester made a comment similar to this. He said that depth was roughly the same for mild soils but it when the ground got hot the EQX gave more depth than others.

BetaGod said:

BetaGod -- interesting. I'd say, give it some time. Personally, I find the pinpointing VERY accurate. The TWO exceptions are 1.) with multiple targets under the coil (that can obviously cause issues pinpointing), and 2.) on shallow targets (with the hot "coil edges" on the EQ 11" coil, you sometimes pick up a shallow, or large, target, on the edge of the coil, and you think you are centered over it. Thus, you pinpoint it 5" to 6" off to the side...

Otherwise, it seems extremely accurate to me; hopefully, over time, it proves to be the same for you...

Steve

Minelab recommends leaving the GB at 0 on the equinox. I suspect the reason they recommend this is because if you do a manual or auto GB and/or engage tracking, then that will ONLY apply to that mode you are using. If you switch to another mode, you will have to do the GB again for that mode. So if you are switching between modes as a checker, this will require more time to accomplish. But if all modes have 0 as the default GB, this makes switching between modes simpler and faster.

I say all this because the GB on the equinox will effect the depth readings. If you want more accurate depth readings, you need to GB the equinox. But as I mentioned above, the GB process takes more time to set up for when switching between modes.

As for the equinox's performance, it is a high gain detector with great sensitivity. It has blistering fast processing and very accurate ID and tones. It takes some time to get more accustomed to the sounds made by the equinox. GB will help to reduce the amount of broken/clipped tone that can partially skirt around a discriminated notch. GB helps to tame the equinox down so you don't get as many of those distracting tones. There will be a noticeable improvement in mineralized ground.

With some time and practice listening for the high quality tones and ignoring those chirps and clipped tones, you can get around quickly with the equinox. The ID is highly accurate and when a target is located, a very short swing or wiggle over the target will produce very stable numbers.

I have both, the CTX and the equinox 800. I really like the CTX. The TT makes it a very informative detector. The tones are excellent and the ID is very stable and accurate. It balances very well and the coil just seems to float above the ground effortlessly. It is a great coin shooter detector with fast decision making capabilities. It is easy to pin point and separate targets even with the 17" coil. The CTX is a calmer quieter detector than the equinox. But where the CTX seems to struggle, the equinox excels. In heavy trash and iron, the equinox can pick thru those minefields very well. I have found coins that my CTX missed.

I think how well one likes the equinox depends on their hunting environment. If you hunt in a lot of trash infested ground, the equinox will serve you well. The light weight of the equinox makes for easy work for a long day of detecting. The equinox will make a good water detector for creeks and rivers. It is very nimble.

I like the CTX better for most of the hunting I do. But the equinox will change the dynamics of my hunting and will allow me to hunt those places I avoid with the CTX. With both the CTX and equinox, I will be able to cover all the different types of hunting. So I don't look at it as which one is better or if one will replace the other, I look at it as how can I use both to my advantage to find more goodies.

Im not knocking the Nox but comparing it to the Etrac and Ctx3030 is comical to me. Ive been watching videos comparing the Nox and the CTX3030.
In some of these Videos, the Nox kills the CTX. What these videos do show you is how the CTX is setup. I would love to see some of these comparisons
against some of us seasoned Etrac and Ctx users. The Nox is a great machine but do you really think Minelab is going to build a $800 machine that is going
to beat a $2500 machine?

tejon_man said:
Im not knocking the Nox but comparing it to the Etrac and Ctx3030 is comical to me. Ive been watching videos comparing the Nox and the CTX3030.
In some of these Videos, the Nox kills the CTX. What these videos do show you is how the CTX is setup. I would love to see some of these comparisons
against some of us seasoned Etrac and Ctx users. The Nox is a great machine but do you really think Minelab is going to build a $800 machine that is going
to beat a $2500 machine?

Try opening your eyes.... most of us here on the Equinox forum are long time E-Trac and CTX users. You obviously don't own an EQX from your statements.

tejon_man said:
to beat a $2500 machine?

To parrot what Jason said, I ran a Minelab Explorer for 7 years prior to getting an Equinox...

You talk about yourself as a "seasoned" FBS user, implying that only someone who is NOT a seasoned FBS user, who doesn't understand FBS machines, would ever suggest that the Equinox compares favorably in many aspects with FBS...

Not true, but if that's what you need to believe, so be it.

Steve

sgoss66 said:
to beat a $2500 machine?

To parrot what Jason said, I ran a Minelab Explorer for 7 years prior to getting an Equinox...

You talk about yourself as a "seasoned" FBS user, implying that only someone who is NOT a seasoned FBS user, who doesn't understand FBS machines, would ever suggest that the Equinox compares favorably in many aspects with FBS...

Steve

True dat ... why try to convince everyone how good the Equinox is ... I wish I was the only person that had one.

Willee said:
to beat a $2500 machine?

Steve

True dat ... why try to convince everyone how good the Equinox is ... I wish I was the only person that had one.