Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tokens

Okay I thought for a minute I was the Coin Whisperer but I think I'm the token Whisperer since I've got the V3 I've found five different tokens in the last week, granted a couple are game tokens from years gone by and another one maybe but nothing is wrote on it, But the one I found while hunting with BH Nugget at the old school is the size of a half dollar made of pot metal and has a ornate coal stove picture on the front it was bent a little with a piece of wire through it and on the back it says -"Gem City Stove Mfg Company" that is on the top following the curve of the coin under it it says"Buy the Germany Heater--soft coal flueless Base heater Warms the floor No smoke gas or soot saves half you coal bill... Quincy,Ill Under that following the curve of the coin in says Gold Metal Worlds Fair then the hole where the wire went thru and then the number 4. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this.
The next token I found today was a coin about the size of a quarter but half as thick, It has the shape of the state of Missouri on it with a number 1 in the middle of the state on the top of the coin it says Missouri and on the bottom it says Sales Tax Receipt, it says the same on the other side but its pretty wore, Has anyone have a clue as to what if coin would have been used for ? Thanks for all info

Nice finds Jeff, you should be able to Google all of those tokens especially the tax token for information explaining the tax process. If you can't find info on the Quincy token, I could look in my Trade Tokens of Illinois book when I get back from a hunt.

BTW send me a PM with you address, I have club info to forward to you.

Sounds Like good stuff, Can you get a picture???

http://www.taxtoken.org/faq.htm

Larry, Micfin
I came up with this page on the tax token much to my surprise as when I tried to find out about the Gem City Stove token I came up empty handed and the game token are a puzzle also, I also found two Bus token from the early days of Rapid City south dakota, about two weeks ago and only knew what they were by asking some older (than I) people from the area. I remembered while I was posting that I forgot my camera at work so I'll get pictures on tomorrow, the bus token are about the size of a dime about the same design but from two different bus companies . the stove token does say something on the front German Heater I thought it said Man Heater but I cleaned it a bit more and I got a" R" in there the" Ge" has the hole thru it, the tax token have about 500 different ones and are collectable I only have 499 more to find

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gem-City-Stove-Mfg-Co----Illinois_W0QQitemZ390084210330QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090821?IMSfp=TL090821172006r27162

http://www.antique-cast-iron-stoves.com/6/6-25_german_heater.php

HH
Jerry

Jerry thanks for the links, my coins is similar to the e-bay one and the number on the stove is 219 so I assume each stove had its own token?

Jeff,I think you should keep digging in that spot and recover the stove.Thats a cool looking stove! :biggrin: