Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tones 1,2,5 or 50?:shrug:

pacer

Some of the factory presets utilize the 50 tone option. I have some difficulty trying to differentiate between tones in the 50 tone factory preset option. Example say between 38 opposed to 39, to me they simply sound two close to each other and I don't notice much difference between the two. I much prefer to use the 5 tone option. What am I missing here by utilizing the 5 tone instead of the 50 tone option?

You’re going to use the tones you feel comfortable with and that’s okay, but sometimes getting out of your comfort zone produces better results. It takes time listening to and digging a ton of targets to feel comfortable with the 50 tones, but once you learn the tones they will start talking to you and you’ll be glad you learned them. If you’ve ever experienced the Explorer fluty tones of deep silver you’ll understand what I’m talking about. Either way you go you have to learn the new tones of the detector you have to get good with it. HH

I prefer 5 tones because I prefer to think of targets in groups such as silver, token, nickel, etc. Too many variable with live targets to worry about exact VDI number or tone. If you are going to dig a wide range anyway, why not listen and interpret in the same manner.

But as was said above, its all about personal preferences.

What are you missing by going with 5 tone instead of 50 tone?

If my 3rd grade math holds up, 45 tones less. :clapping:

Rich

Rich........ ive even went to 2 tones on the beach. Little different ...... our main goal is to locate a target period. Once thats done we ID it....... once thats done we ALWAYS dig it if its not iron...... so look at the screen yes its a pull tab and do what you do ..... dig it. Very few guys who are successful beach hunters dont dig most targets that isnt iron......... so using 50 tones just to know what you already know is a time waster for us.

dewcon4414 said:
Very few guys who are successful beach hunters dont dig most targets that isnt iron......... .

OK, you lost me with that. I THINK I know what you are saying but the sentence seems opposite.

RandyNorthridgeca said:
You’re going to use the tones you feel comfortable with and that’s okay, but sometimes getting out of your comfort zone produces better results. It takes time listening to and digging a ton of targets to feel comfortable with the 50 tones, but once you learn the tones they will start talking to you and you’ll be glad you learned them. If you’ve ever experienced the Explorer fluty tones of deep silver you’ll understand what I’m talking about. Either way you go you have to learn the new tones of the detector you have to get good with it. HH

Well said.
Once learned, 50 tones (multi tones) is more descriptive of targets... good or bad. I don't like hunting with 2,3, or 5 tones anymore. It's like talking to somebody with a limited vocabulary. It sounds like something is missing.

Dean

dewcon4414 said:
give me an ole timers mulligan on that one Jason lol.

LOL, I fully understand! The brain is thinking of 2 different sentences to say the same thing, but it comes out through the fingers as a combination that isnt really a full thought. Happens to me that way.

I have only 2 beach hunts on 600 so far... 50 tones for me gives so much info....l can tell 75% correct what im digging .....Can slaw, foil is easily identifyable... .coins, small jewelery and melted aluminum chunks ring out clear... For me, 5 tones is just beep and dig, no info......... jmo

I was using 5 tones on all modes but have switched to 50. I didn't like the way that, with 5, you could get a significant shift in tone with very little change in target. I am hoping that with 50 tones and more minute shifts I will be getting the maximum information possible about the target.

On the beach i dont like digging bottle caps or iron..... everything else i want to see i just dont want a reason NOT to dig a target. You will get a surprise with the Nox on gold large rings dont always come in where you expect the way targets are laying really matters with this machine more so than the CTX or Xcal IMO.

I think 50 tones is more like what users of minelab BBS and FBS detector users are more accustom to hearing.
I prefer the 5 tone.

I have 2 tones down really good after running my Etrac for several years now. I wish I could set up for 3 tones, High for Silver, Mid for Nickels, and the rest low, real low. If anyone has ever hunted a vacant lot that the house was demolished knows that the less tones the better, IMO, along with great separation...... If you're faced with this, why not cut through the clutter and try to sniff out that silver.

5 tones will have to do for now, for me, until!:beers:

Why cant you use 3 tones? you should be able to set the first two in 5 tone ...... using tone break your last could be just a couple of digits from 40 with the same tone as the last.... thus 3 tones.

looknforgold said:
I have 2 tones down really good after running my Etrac for several years now. I wish I could set up for 3 tones, High for Silver, Mid for Nickels, and the rest low, real low. If anyone has ever hunted a vacant lot that the house was demolished knows that the less tones the better, IMO, along with great separation...... If you're faced with this, why not cut through the clutter and try to sniff out that silver.

5 tones will have to do for now, for me, until!:beers:

I just don't think the binary (or 'trinary'--is that a word?) approach works with the Nox. I feel that the Nox is not as precise in its signals as the Etrac, and that I need as much of the surrounding information as I can get in order to make the dig decision (which is binary, I guess, but me making it, not the machine). Anyway, that's the hope and the reason I am now using 50 tones. We'll see if it works...

Or you can just cut the volume way down on two the segments you don't want to hear. That is basically what I do when using 5 for cherry picking coins in a park.

1) Up to 12 low pitch with volume around 10.

2) 12 and 13 mid pitch, volume around 20.

3) 14 to 21 (17 where there might be IHPs), or 24 if I want to cut out most pennies but not miss downed dimes. Volume of 6 or less.

4) Silver range high pitch volume to 25.

5) 39 and 40. Low pitch and volume 6 or less.

This allows me to still hear some feedback on what is going on but makes the two target ranges sing out.

2 tone for old fields/ground without new trash, 5 tone for fields/ground with newer trash.