Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tones 1,2,5 or 50?:shrug:

I agree with this post from Always Curious, FWIW.

In my opinion, if you are going to "bin" things, your machine has to be extremely accurate, and even then, I feel you are missing some of what the machine's "language" is capable of.

To me, it's better to hear EVERYTHING the machine is trying to tell you. I dug a deep Barber Dime today, for instance, with NO ID at any point that was higher than 22. But I knew it needed to be dug, based on the way it was responding, and based on other good coins I'd dug. Once the plug was out of the hole, and scanning it from the side, I got the "right" tones, and ID. But in the ground, shallower/nearby trash was skewing the ID a little. "Binning" things too tightly may not have alerted me to that target nearly as well as the full 50 tones did...

An analogy for me (though not perfect one) is text, versus spoken language. I can write a sentence in text, and you can generally get the meaning. BUT -- I can add quite a bit of nuance/meaning, or even completely CHANGE the meaning, of the very same sentence, through my voice inflections (pitch/tone changes), etc. To me, running a few tones a detector is like reading a text message. Usually, you'll "get" what the machine is telling you. BUT -- running multi-tones (once you have given yourself the time to fully understand the machine's language) is much more akin to the SPOKEN word, with all the little voice inflections (pitch/tone/volume nuances) and such -- that really act "fill out" the meaning of what is being communicated...

Just my opinions/two cents...

Steve

Always Curious said:
I have 2 tones down really good after running my Etrac for several years now. I wish I could set up for 3 tones, High for Silver, Mid for Nickels, and the rest low, real low. If anyone has ever hunted a vacant lot that the house was demolished knows that the less tones the better, IMO, along with great separation...... If you're faced with this, why not cut through the clutter and try to sniff out that silver.

5 tones will have to do for now, for me, until!:beers:

I just don't think the binary (or 'trinary'--is that a word?) approach works with the Nox. I feel that the Nox is not as precise in its signals as the Etrac, and that I need as much of the surrounding information as I can get in order to make the dig decision (which is binary, I guess, but me making it, not the machine). Anyway, that's the hope and the reason I am now using 50 tones. We'll see if it works...

I would like 50 tones but correct me if Im wrong..in 50 tones you can't go to advance settings and change the tones in a certain range you can't change the volume if certain ID's and other things in advance settings..you have to have it in 5 tones or less..50 tones won't let you do it..

Even though I'm used to detecting with machines that have 3-4 tone modes, I've found the 50 tone conveys a lot more info (for obvious reasons of course).

I don't think it really matters what you use, because when the EQ hits a target, it hits a target, but I like getting those flutey high tones akin to the Explorers letting you know there a deep coin to dig.

That's correct. Where the 50 tones shine, in my opinion, is in parks. At the beach, empty lots, and open fields where you dig anything that doesn't grunt iron it really doesn't make a difference. The main thing is to learn what your machine is telling you and that takes time with a new machine. I love the NOX at the beach, think it will work great on my empty lots but as far as park hunting I still need a lot more hours on it before I can say its better or just about equal to my E-Trac and CTX. I have already found some silver coins and wheat's in my pounded parks but it seems like I'm digging more deep iron than I did with my E-Trac and my CTX and I think its because I'm still at the point where I'm digging just about anything that's deep. Digging all this deep iron reminds me of my CZ 7Apro days:detecting:

Having run an XP Deus for years and running Full Tones, I REALLY like 50 Tones. For now my hearing is extremely good and the wide variety of tones tells me alot.

dewcon4414 said:
Why cant you use 3 tones? you should be able to set the first two in 5 tone ...... using tone break your last could be just a couple of digits from 40 with the same tone as the last.... thus 3 tones.
Might work...Thanks