Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tones and ID on a deep target

dgc

Been practicing with my Etrac on a clad dime I buried at 9". I am running manual sensitivity at 28, deep off, fast off, trash low (clean ground around test coin), difficult ground, normal tones, variability 25. I am getting loud tones but they are a little lower than usual for a dime. The CO numbers are ranging from 38 up to 44, but most of the time are down around 38. The Fe numbers are bouncing a bit on quite a wide span but oddly I'd say 75% of the time are rock solid on the 01 Fe line. The Sabisch book states the Fe numbers usually range from 10-17 on deep coins. Has anyone seen Fe numbers hanging on the 01 line on deep coins? Do my results in general sound normal? Ground here is relatively mild. I have tried fast on, deep on, etc. and many combinations of settings but the results are always about the same.

Thanks for replies.

Are you sure that there isn't a piece of iron underneath where you've buried the coin??

In my experience, large iron seems to wrap around the FE scale and crop up in the 01 line as falsing.

There's no reason that the coin shouldn't read between FE 11-13??

Gaz.

I thought it was just on deep targets but I tested it today on some coins buried at 6-7 inches and I'm seeing a lot of 01 Fe line readings. I checked for iron in the vicinity and there is none. I've started noticing a low "kerchunk" as the audio drops off at the end of the high tones. Ever heard anything like this before?

....can't explain it dude.....sorry!

Gaz.

Let's try to make this simple as possible & "start from scratch".-----IF you haven't already done this and IF you are really serious about finding out about this & IF this is possible.----Move to an ENTIRELY different area than where you have been doing your testing.---Check out this new area thoroughly for iron/trash--then bury your test targets (coins) at various depths and run your tests again.----How long have your original test coins been buried?-----Let us know your results.---You got me curious about this one to.----It just sounds to me like you haven't got a "clean" test area.------How does this machine hunt?---Has it been doing this on actual hunts?---If this don't do it--I don't know what to tell ya pardner.---Maybe somebody else has an idea.---------Del

D&P-OR said:
Let's try to make this simple as possible & "start from scratch".-----IF you haven't already done this and IF you are really serious about finding out about this & IF this is possible.----Move to an ENTIRELY different area than where you have been doing your testing.---Check out this new area thoroughly for iron/trash--then bury your test targets (coins) at various depths and run your tests again.----How long have your original test coins been buried?-----Let us know your results.---You got me curious about this one to.----It just sounds to me like you haven't got a "clean" test area.------How does this machine hunt?---Has it been doing this on actual hunts?---If this don't do it--I don't know what to tell ya pardner.---Maybe somebody else has an idea.---------Del

I'll dig another test matrix D&P. There is a lot of iron in my yard (old barn site), but I tried to be careful to find a clear area when I buried the coins a couple of years ago. Could be that the Etrac sensitivity is so good that it is seeing bits of iron that my other detector doesn't see. I've only had the Etrac a few days so I'm definitely not "handy" with it yet. I've only hunted a pasture on our place that yielded a lot of old flat buttons (one was a tombac). The Etrac did fine in the pasture. Several of the buttons were near iron nulls but I was able to hear them just fine.

Also since I first posted this thread, I've learned that the Etrac screen doesn't update until the threshold tone returns. So while sweeping continuously over a target the numbers lock in until you allow the threshold to return. This tells me that those "off normal" numbers I was seeing may have cleared up more frequently if I had let the threshold kick back in.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for chiming in on this.

Have you had a lot of moisture lately DGC? I say this because what Gaz has stated is "usually" true....but we've accumulated over 11" of rain in the past 7 days and I've noticed the 4 silver dimes I found last week were running in the 01 range on some of the swings and the conductivity numbers were lower than the silver range ie, 41. In my experience if there is a good target with iron the numbers run high on the Fe scale 17-21. Swing speed and orientation of the coin are the other factors. Usually anything giving a repeatable 2 way 90 degress signal that the Co. numbers are running above 30 (in my area) are getting dug. When you have that scenerio, yes you can go simply off of sound but I look at the Co. numbers anyway because I see it looking at the depth meter.

Isn't the many degrees of information this detector gives you a great big plus!!

NebTrac

I guess i would try 2 tone ferrous and all metal and go over your test bed again and see if you get low tone grunts that iron produce. Just a thought :shrug:

Goes and Neb thanks for letting me know you have seen coins hitting on the 01 Fe line. It's good to know others have seen the same thing. Seems like Sabisch would have mentioned this, but as I said, he states coins usually bounce between 10-17 or higher Fe in the presence of iron. Never said anything about values above 10 showing up. For some reason 01 Fe is very common reading on deep coins with my machine.

Josh I'll check for iron in all metal.Thanks for your suggestion.

Etrac is a great machine. Just got to get to know it a little better.

dgc said:
. Seems like Sabisch would have mentioned this, but as I said, he states coins usually bounce between 10-17 or higher Fe in the presence of iron. Never said anything about values above 10 showing up. For some reason 01 Fe is very common reading on deep coins with my machine.

Usually they have been. Just been recently since all the rain they've been riding up there...and once again the "TONE" rules!!! If you remember your reading on Andy's book he did say on deeper coins a "faster" swing speed seems to ID the coins better. So I for sure would experiment with a faster/slower swing speed and see what works for you.

NebTrac

I have also dug many coins with an 01 ferrous, also very deep, but usually the ground has lots of iron in it..

Thanks onemore. Again, its good to know that others are seeing 01 on some deeper coins. I know silver dollars are supposed to hit up there, but I'm seeing it on deeper dimes and cents. Guess that's why if you block out the Fe 01 line, its a good idea to leave the 41-44 CO numbers open. I'm still very new to the Etrac and appreciate everyone posting their experiences here.

some say that silver dollars will not register with stock coin program, but I tried several silver dollars in an air test and they all registered loud and clear!

I have dug numerous coins with 1 ferrous as well and all points in between 1 and 13 but have rarely dug any above 13 ferrous.Andy mentions up around 17 ferrous and I have read other accounts of this.I think it must not be when hunting in the factory coins mode but in a more open screen and the near by iron is what is causing it be it iron minerals or rusty old nails and the like.
I also have noted the lowering of tone/response on ultra deep targets.They give a more hollow less full sounding response but a consistent sound when they are a coin or similar desirable target.Indian head pennies at depth and or very corroded are the most notable examples.Also coins on edge often give me a 1-6 ferrous number,Ray.

Thanks Ray. I know you have a lot of experience with the Minelabs. After seeing all the replies on this topic, I'll be more comfortable when I see 01 FE readings on deeper targets and I definitely won't dismiss them as falsing .