Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tones On M6/MXT PRO

Coilfisher

Can anyone share/shed some light on the 7 tone ID system on the M6 and MXT PRO?
Or any links to videos that describe them.
We have been having discussions on the other forums about how these added tones maybe beneficial in target separation.
Thanks for any help offered! :help:

I made a video of an air test I did with my MXT Pro to show how it can disc zinc pennies and still find copper pennies. Also, the tone is different between the 2! This can be very helpful with target ID but in the real world I dig everything above foil, about +15, so I don't leave possible goodies. But I really like showing off the MXT's ability to spot zincolns! Beware, IH cents can show just below copper cent which so happens to be in the zinc range.

I would like to add a bit of info about tones aiding in target ID. I have noticed when detecting in hotrocks that the tones are high and have a signature "wont beep in the same spot" when swinging over it but the screen is consistantly showing HOTROCK. If your determined to hunt hotrocks, pay attention to high tones that sound off at the same exact spot on the ground because hotrocks will not do that. Hotrocks act like silver worms that move around and you cannot get a consistant beep on each swing. Sometimes it is helpful to close your eyes while swinging over hotrocks and PICTURE in your mind where the target(beep) is, if it beeps in the same spot every time, you need to investigate closer but if its hotrocks it will seem to move around. Note, the detector is already telling you hotrocks, this is just an added comfort food to confirm it really is hotrocks or not.
Anyway, I hope my video helps!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxMpwkG9nZs

Thanks Aaron! And, yes it did to an extent.
We were wondering about the 7 tone ID system.
So, there is a bit of descriptive audio there.

Anyone else have further audio vids or info on the sounds associated with different conducitivities?

Not sure if this is the type of thing you are looking for but these Tone ID frequencies are listed on the Whites Website in the M6 Features section. Do not remember where I got the "Probable Target" references but they are fairly accurate.

M6 7 tone I.D.

VDI Range - Tone Frequency - Probable Target

-95 57Hz Large Iron
-94 to -4 128 Hz Large Iron thru nails
-5 to 7 145 Hz small nails, small foil, fine gold chain & earrings
8 to 26 182 Hz foil, nickels, small tabs, small gold rings & bands
27 to 49 259 Hz medium thru large tabs, medium to large gold rings
50 to 70 411 Hz screw caps, zinc penny, Gold class rings
70 to 95 900 Hz penny, dime, quarter, etc. & silver jewelry

The forum will not allow the chart to have columns like the original document so sorry for the formatting.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Good information Aaron. Is gold completely discriminated out if you're already getting the zinc pennies out of there? My MXT Pro arrives tomorrow according to tracking, but I'm trying to learn as much in advance as I can. There is already some great info in this thread alone!

Aarong81 said:
I made a video of an air test I did with my MXT Pro to show how it can disc zinc pennies and still find copper pennies. Also, the tone is different between the 2! This can be very helpful with target ID but in the real world I dig everything above foil, about +15, so I don't leave possible goodies. But I really like showing off the MXT's ability to spot zincolns! Beware, IH cents can show just below copper cent which so happens to be in the zinc range.

I would like to add a bit of info about tones aiding in target ID. I have noticed when detecting in hotrocks that the tones are high and have a signature "wont beep in the same spot" when swinging over it but the screen is consistantly showing HOTROCK. If your determined to hunt hotrocks, pay attention to high tones that sound off at the same exact spot on the ground because hotrocks will not do that. Hotrocks act like silver worms that move around and you cannot get a consistant beep on each swing. Sometimes it is helpful to close your eyes while swinging over hotrocks and PICTURE in your mind where the target(beep) is, if it beeps in the same spot every time, you need to investigate closer but if its hotrocks it will seem to move around. Note, the detector is already telling you hotrocks, this is just an added comfort food to confirm it really is hotrocks or not.
Anyway, I hope my video helps!

I suggest researching Monte's nail board test, make one and try it with your MXT. You'll see why you should dig any repeatable signal above iron. Use a IH penny and silver dime and see what readings you get.

ga5150, Yes almost everything is disc'd out in my test video, except copper cent, dime, quarter, ect. The only real reason for the video was in response to a question about whether or not the MXT was capable of doing this since the two pennies are similar in signal.

I agree about digging all signals above iron or at least for me personally anything above foil approx +15 and higher. I'm sure you'll love your MXT after you get to know it, give it a fair chance to show you what it can do. After I found my first IH cent I was sold, then after quite a few sweet finds, including a barber half, I found an 1828 matron head large cent. I'm sold on the MXT and not looking back!

The tone ID is like leather interior in a sports car, its a luxery that makes the detecting more enjoyable but you still end up at the same place in the end. But I detect for the fun of it so you bet I'm getting the leather interior!

Aarong81, just be advised that a lot of thin gold rings come in at the foil range if you're at a place where women could have lost rings.

It's been a while since I looked into getting a MXT and also used a friend's M6 a bit....So refresh my memory. Doesn't the M6 have 7 tones but the MXT had less than that? If so, how many tones does the MXT have again? I know there is a tone mod I think to give the MXT more tones. I just remember thinking back in the day when I was looking into the two that I'd probably opt for the M6 for coin/ring hunting because I remember thinking it had more tones? Refresh my memory on that and fill me in if I'm wrong. Thanks.

EDIT: Just did some digging and I see the MXT Pro has more tones than the MXT, but I can't find the numbers on both for those...So, M6 7 tones, right? Then how many for the MXT and how many for the MXT Pro? Thanks.

MXT Tones:
In C&J search mode(s) a single tone for accepted targets above DISC setting ... broken or silent below.
In the RELIC search mode(s) a high tone for accepted targets and a low tone for rejected targets.
In PROSPECTING search mode(s) a Zip tone for accepted targets and a Grunt tone for rejected.

M6 Tones:
Trigger Center a single tone for accepted targets.
Trigger Forward up to 7 tones depending upon DISC setting.

MXT Pro:
The MXT Pro is capable of all of the tones that an MXT and an M6 can produce depending upon settings used.

This link may also help http://www.fielddepth.com/mxtp.htm