Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Too Much Time on my Hands :nerd:

DE-Digger

Someone on a college web site was nice enough to convert a large number of 1800/1900 Delaware maps into Google KMZ files and post them online.
I downloaded them several months ago but just started looking at them a few weeks ago. I was able to overlay them on top of "Todays" Google Earth locations.
Basically what all of this means is that I can click a button and turn on the overlay (old maps) and then click another button on Google Earth and it will show todays map. So I can see where
some very old houses/schools/churches "were" and where the location of the structures are "today". Using the "today" location I pull the owner information from the
Delaware online tax records and contacted a few owners to see if they will let me detect on their property.

Using this process from above I found an old house a few miles from my house in Lewes, De and after pulling the tax info I contacted the owner and he gave
me permission to MD on his property. The location where the old house was located was a heavily wooded area approx. 75 acres. It took me two visits
into the woods but I found the depression in the woods yesterday where the house was located and began dirt fishing. I found a metal blade of some
kind, a 1794 Liberty Cap half cent, a few flat buttons, a ball from a long rifle, and two coins so badly worn I can't see the dates .....
I plan to go back to the house in the near future and dig out some of the cellar depression to see if I can find any other goodies.

Awesome finds! I've been looking for those same maps in my area and finally found some - now comes the hard part of being able to overlay them into Google Earth. You are bound to find some more coins there - hopefully gold ones! :bouncy:

Nice finds and good job with the maps... Research and the discoveries made due to the hard work you put in to find where a homestead was feels great doesn't it?

The overlay function also works great with old aerial photographs as a means to determine the gps coordinates to pinpoint and locate long gone structures.

Nice finds! That's great you can do that! This is the first time I've heard of this!
The suburban land all around where I live is an old farm that went for miles! My wife and I found an old Four Roses Whiskey cap on our parcel that dated to 1922!
I'll have to do the research for our area using the above method once I figure it out!
Best of Luck!

Ebbtide........what state do you live in...the overlays I use cover a lot of the Northeast......maybe there is one for your state.

Time well spent! Nice finds - especially that half cent - outstanding recovery.