Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Took Her for a Freshwater Swim Today

Capphd

I was impressed with how the detector performed. It was no more difficult to manipulate underwater than the Excalibur, but of course it gives you a lot more information than the Excal. It worked perfectly until the control panel got about 3 inches under water when the signal disappeared. But I knew that would happen until the waterproof headphones come out. I clipped the WM 10 in the strap in the back of my cap and it worked perfectly. I never knew it was there. I can see why they offer so many channels. I had to walk almost 50 yards from the detector before the signal disappeared from my headphones. I found a bunch of coin but only one decent piece of jewelry, a large men's wedding band. So far I'm optimistic.

Hey capphd. Did you notice any better depth with the CTX over the Excalibur? One of the reasons why order a CTX is for better depth when shallow water hunting.

Reese

It will be interesting to hear what users think about the performance but based on what many have found on salt water beaches with black sand, the BBS units (Sovereign and Excalibur) perform better (stability and depth) than the FBS units and in terms of the FBS models, the avid beach hunters have found that the Explorer II seems to be best of the line for that application.

As far as additonal information, the visual indications are lost when you get close to waist deep with the CTX 3030 so you are relying on the audio information provided.

In terms of additonal depth as compared to the Excalibur, not sure if that will be seen based on previous BBS vs. FBS comparisons . . . . of course it depends on the site searched (fresh water vs. salt and the amount of black sand present)

Andy

As an Exp and Xcal user i have to say some of the people have never used an ET or Exp so you know they will think its noisy over BBS. Its hard to tell on a beach Andy..... way to many people clame depth readings they cant substantiate in oat meal or in the water. PPing and ensuring you get the target in the first dig makes this depth issue difficult. It will be interesting to see how BBS as far as a water machine compares with FBS in SALT water. Also how well this machine holds up to its harsh nature.

I did wonder..... i hunt by tones on the SE more so than screen. If there are two targets showing on the screen one good and the other iron and the iron is closer and stronger will tone be IRON.... because in neck deep water i cant see the screen, and moving the coil in salt water up WILL change the reading before it gets within view.

Andy.... are the people liking the Exp II using its standard coil over the Pro?

Dew

Dew,

I have been an avid beach hunter here in S. CA for many years. If you are talking performance on a mineralized sand beach in terms of FBS, I have found the combo of choice to be the Explorer II with the Pro Coil. It will go deeper than the original Explorer, the SE and the Etrac. I know several other hunters, a couple of whom love their SE's and Etracs more than life itself, who have come to same conclusion. I'm not sure what Minelab did to the II, or "undid" to the SE and the Etrac, but my finds have been the best over time with the Explorer II.

Also, the Pro Coil is vastly superior to the any other coil I have used on an FBS machine. For the record, I have not tried any of the SEF coils.

As to BBS vs. FBS, that's a tough call. Andy is the real expert on that (and just about everything else involving anything Minelab as well). I found an Excal or Sovereign with a WOT to be top drawer in terms of performance and coverage, but either configuration is just too darn heavy for me. And yeah, I've tried all of the various configurations. Any hip mounting of the BBS machines, even with strain relief on the cable, will eventually lead to the cable having a problem. Plus I got tired of the spare tire around my waist. Straight shafts are better balanced but weight is still weigkt. The Explorer II, with the very lightweight Pro Coil, gives me just what I need.

Oh and one more thing. If any "expert" tells you to run the Explorer in manual on the beach, including Minelab itself, nod, smile & then DON'T DO IT. Run semi-auto. I don't know why it works, and neither does anybody else, but it will be more stable and deeper than manual.

Lastly, I have no knowledge or experience with regard to the new CTX 3030. While I was involved in many projects with Minelab in the past, including the Etrac, SE Pro & X-Terra's, I had no involvement in the CTX 3030 project. It certainly looks to have some nice features. However, if the early reports are that it is a nice machine but is essentially an Etrac with added features, then it would not be my choice for hunting a saltwater beach, especially one with black sand. If you need waterproof, I would go with an Excal II. It is a great machine.

Bill (S. CA)

wpaxt said:
Lastly, I have no knowledge or experience with regard to the new CTX 3030. While I was involved in many projects with Minelab in the past, including the Etrac, SE Pro & X-Terra's, I had no involvement in the CTX 3030 project. It certainly looks to have some nice features. However, if the early reports are that it is a nice machine but is essentially an Etrac with added features, then it would not be my choice for hunting a saltwater beach, especially one with black sand. If you need waterproof, I would go with an Excal II. It is a great machine.

I'd have to disagree with part of your statement, Bill. I'm not denying that the Excalibur is an excellent, waterproof metal detector. But just as the E-TRAC enthusiasts deny that the E-TRAC is just another Explorer, those who have hands around the CTX 3030 will tell you it is more than an E-TRAC with added features. Much more! HH Randy

Randy,

As you can see in my post, I am merely saying that "if" the CTX 3030 is essentially an Etrac + a whole lot of good stuff (what some early reports are suggesting), then a BBS machine will beat it in the surf. If you & the other testers have information that demonstrates that the CTX 3030 is a step up in black sand from other FBS machines, this would be great information to share with those of us who beach hunt and are very intrigued by the possibilities of the new detector.

The proof will be when hunters use the CTX 3030 in black sand on saltwater beaches. The Etrac underperforms in this environment. I and many others will be interested in knowing just what the CTX 3030 brings to the table in those conditions.

Thanks as always for your reply and good hunting to you.

Bill (S. CA)

Unlike previous FBS detectors, the FBS2 functionality of the CTX 3030 allows for the option of implementing Ground Balance for highly mineralized areas. The NO Ground Balance setting is representative of the "ground compensation" functionality used in the FBS units. When I was testing the CTX 3030 along the Gulf Coast this past winter, I encountered a few sites where I was unable to maintain stable operation with the NO Ground Balance setting. Even when substantially lowering the Sensitivity, (Auto -3) it would be noisy and the TID's were inaccurate. By setting the Separation Characteristics to Ground - Coin, and activating the Ground Balance functionality, I was able to increase my sensitivity (Auto +1) and maintain steady performance. The ability to implement Ground -Coin Separation, combined with Ground Balance, resulted in less ground return noise, more accurate TID and deeper targets in those areas. HH Randy

I think I will do the beep beep beep. Lift and look as well. Maybe they can come up with a HUD clip-on to your sunglasses so we can see the screen.