Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

topo maps

A

Anonymous

How much space is required to download topo maps to Garmin Legend gps. Will 8mb handle six or so maps or do I need the 24mb option? Also while using mapsource topo from Garmin can I upload and save waypoints and tracks to the cd to retrieve later? Also does mapsource allow me to insert waypoints and tracks to download?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I don't know about MapSource Topo USA but for MapSoure Topo Canada sizes vary from 0.1 MB to just over 1MB per map (excluding auto-routing data) - these maps are based on 1:50.000 federal topos. I suspect that the USA topos from Garmin are more detailed so they could be larger.

On my website, you can find detailed Garmin compatible Canadian, Quebec topo maps. They are based on 1:100K and 1:20K provincial maps and have more data layers than MapSource Top Canada does so, even that each map covers a smaller area, some maps are closer to 2MB.

For Ontario detailed topo maps (coming out very soon) we also plan to keep sizes of individual maps to below 2MB so the owners of 8MB receivers could load at least 4 chunks.

I suspect (but don't know for sure) that Garmin also tries to keep individual sections small enough for owners of older receivers to be able to use them.

I have had as much as 55 maps on my Garmin GPS map 76 which has 8mb of memory. These maps are based on 1:50,000 federal series Canadian topo maps.
Rick:)

Once you install mapsource you will be able to download tracks and waypoints and save them as files to your harddrive which you can reinstall anytime later.

Yup, if the area shown happens to be mostly flat, few if any rivers, no roads and / or mostly covered by large body of water... there is very little in the MapSource map. After all, it does not even show vegetation areas or swamps so the maps take little memory. 022H09 is only 8KB
OTOH, if the area has lots of roads, rivers, small bodies of water even the few data layers that MapSource Topo Canada does include can take fair bit of mmemory. 030M12 is 1.27MB