Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tornado Coil for the X-Terra

ashdigger

Does anyone have any information on the new Tornado Coil ( From Russia I think) for the X-Terra? I understand its a pretty good double D coil and has a good size to it
:shrug:... Pro's or Con's?????????????

There were several posts made regarding the coil in the middle of March. If you go back a couple pages, you could read those comments. HH Randy

Here you go: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1427229

According to the Russian site translated in Google they were to be released in march.....oh well.....maybe they thinking twice about getting sued?

The chip in it would have to be reverse engineered and then counterfeited. I will wait for the ML authorized unit. This is a great little machine and some times I would like to have one more coil. The aftermarket would be HOT if ML did license the technology. Man the coil availability would be incredible. I still like the 5x10 best.

Jeff

TURNMASTER said:
The chip in it would have to be reverse engineered and then counterfeited. I will wait for the ML authorized unit. This is a great little machine and some times I would like to have one more coil. The aftermarket would be HOT if ML did license the technology. Man the coil availability would be incredible. I still like the 5x10 best. Jeff

First of all, the real-true measurement of the 5x10"(a 2 ratio of length to width) coil is actually 5.5"x9.5"(a 1.73 ratio). BUT I would like a true measurement 10x18"(a 1.8 ratio) DD sized coil better for the X-Terra's.

Yeah but if I started talking about the 5.5 x 9.5 coil folks would think I have lost track of my senses, and maybe I belonged in some other brands forum. Yes I would like a bigger coil also.

Jeff

One would think that, if Minelab thought the above mentioned coils were any better, they would have produced them. They've already got the best coil line-up of any manufacturer, so why are there those who wish to re-invent the wheel?

I think, because sometimes the aftermarket will offer an item not offered by the OEM. Sometimes they offer a product that is better at a task that is narrower in focus than what the OEM intended and there for better, at least to a narrower group of users.

Jeff

Okay ... But at what cost? Certainly the larger coils are much heavier. Given the extra weight, would you want to add a 1lb (pound) to your detector and swing it all day? Also the Tornado coils are very expensive not to mention cumbersome. I've owned a variety of Minelab detectors, as well as Whites, Garretts, Teknetics, Fisher, and etc. and I've NEVER felt I had to go outside the OEM to find a coil that worked any better than what the OEM had produced. I'm not saying it's not possible - only that it has never been my experience. My old grand dad use to say "If it's not broke - don't fix it!"

Thanks for the comments guys, I was looking at the Tornado coils on the internet and really like the bigger double D style coil, I have an 12X15 SEF on my E-Trac and truly love it, It appears to hunt out deeper coins than the stock coil, however the stock coil is a great coil and has its place on my machine most of the time. I understand about the heavier weight of these coils and I just offset that with a "swingy thingy" but personally I really like the larger coils. If they made a Big Foot for the E-Trac and X-Terra I would be in heaven. I also understand that different parts of the country and different hunting styles come into play here. Its this kind of discussion that opens up "Out of the box thinking". Hunt safe and often.... Thanks guys..

.....has anyone successfully purchased one of these NEL Tornado coils for the XTerra yet or have they not been launched yet??

Is anyone worrying about copyrights or patents????

I must admit.....as an XTerra user....Minelab have to take some of the blame that this has happened by not producing
a similar or a Pro coil. I think we all know that these 'elusive' XTerra Pro coils exist....why aren't they making any?

Gaz.

I recently read a post on another forum where a guy in Arkansas bought one, he had trouble with the order conformation numbers from the Ukrain; however after about two months it showed up at his door. He explained that the coil works very well and his finds seem to be a lot deeper. He did say that the coil hit very well on targets and was easy to pinpoint. A video on you tube shows a guy driving over the coil with no breakages, so it must be tough. Just FYI we have a club member who's wife is from Ukrain (where they make them) and will be traveling to the Ukrain this August, a couple of us will be sending money with him so he can bring a couple home..... we'll see. And you right Minelab is missing out here they need to get on the ball, the Pro Coil I have on my E-Trac is a great coil.. I would much rather have a Minelab coil..that an after market coil Take care..

Use google to translate and find a retailer http://nel-coils.com/

.....I've emailed them for some info.

I've asked when the XTerra coils will be available.....what sizes and frequencies they'll come in......what the costs will be and how they have got
over the Minelab patent.......

Gaz.

......I've actually had an email back from NEL today......albeit in broken english!!!...:laugh:
They wanted to know what model XTerra I have.......

Gaz.

Did they respond to your question about the patent?

I'd have thought the question they might have asked would be which frequency of coil you wanted? It will be interesting to see if they have all three frequencies available, when you tell them you have the X-70. Keep us posted. HH Randy

Digger said:
I'd have thought the question they might have asked would be which frequency of coil you wanted? It will be interesting to see if they have all three frequencies available, when you tell them you have the X-70. Keep us posted. HH Randy

I would love to see you get your hands on one of these! Do you ever make videos of reviews you do or any hunts you go on?

I have made some videos of hunts. And I've made some instructional type videos. I'm just not inclined to post them online for the whole world to see. Nothing wrong for those who chose to do so. But that just ain't me.

I would not buy one of these "aftermarket" coils. At least not until Minelab has acknowledged that the coils meet engineering and manufacturing specifications, such as they have done with SunRay, Coiltek and DeTech coils on some of the other Minelab models.

Since I've received several emails concerning my "larger than stock" X-TERRA coils.........and for those of you who aren't familiar with the circumstances.........I purchsed two Pro Style X-TERRA coils through the classifieds about 18 months ago. According to the seller, Minelab made a couple "larger than stock" coils for the X-TERRA (HF and MF) and sent them out to be field tested. Although I've field tested a lot of products for several different manufacturers, I was not officially involved in field testing these two particular coils. Since buying them, I've used them extensively and have actually discovered a couple things that likely kept Minelab from mass producing and making them commercially available. The fact that these coils were not turned loose on the market (in their current state) only reinforces my high opinion of Minelab's business practices. Regardless, I considered the "problems" to be a personal challenge and have been able to "work around" both with some rather "unorthodox" functionality settings. As such, I am fairly confident that Minelab will continue to address the requests for a more plentiful coil assortment for the X-TERRA.

[attachment 196397 xterracoils.JPG] [attachment 196398 XterraandEtracprocoils.JPG]

JMHO HH Randy