Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Total finds from park this year

Dan-o

Since I started using the Safari 1/31/10, here is what I have found at the same park I go to every weekend.
58 wheaties, 10 silver dimes, 6 war nickels, 9 buffalo nickels, 1 V nickel, 1 indian head penny, 1 chinese coin, 2 play coins, 1 gold class ring, 1 silver ring with green stone, 2 tokens, 2 jr fire marshall rings, 3 buttons and other items including some clad.
Looks pretty good when you total it all up.
[attachment 156275 TotalFinds001.jpg]

Well,thats a nice haul of silver you got there,you did great.:detecting:

numbers were you getting ( if you remember ) when you were digging the nickels... Even tho the quarto book says nickels are 14-15.... All of my 14-15 signals have been pull tabs and beaver tails.. ( and theres been alot too......I'm liking the safari also, but I'm not a fan of the number id system..

Mark ( ohio )

Mark ( ohio ) said:
numbers were you getting ( if you remember ) when you were digging the nickels... Even tho the quarto book says nickels are 14-15.... All of my 14-15 signals have been pull tabs and beaver tails.. ( and theres been alot too......I'm liking the safari also, but I'm not a fan of the number id system..

Mark ( ohio )
I hunt in the High Trash Setting so the ID jumps a bit. The buffalo's come in at 13,14,15, 14 being the magic number and the war nickels would come in at 16,17 . The nice thing about the park I have been hunting is it isn't loaded with a lot of pull tabs. Also the old coins here are pretty deep, I believe because this area of town was hit by a major mud flow in the 50's due to the foot hills having a major fire and then a major thunderstorm hit and flooded that part of town with 3" to 6" of muck. So whenever I got a good nickel signal and it registered at 6" or more, it was usually a nickel. I hunted another park last weekend that gets a lot of use and it was so loaded with pull tabs I only found one modern nickel. The pull tabs drove me crazy and I ended up having to use more discrimanation than I like to. You are correct about the beaver tails, expecially the bent ones, they always fool me.
The number system does have a lot to be desired on the safari, but I don't mind too much. Most people like to skip over zincs and even memorials and wheats, but the two civil war buttons I found came in at what a zinc penny would. Even with my whites which has a much better ID system, I always dig zincs, so that's why the safari doesn't bother me. The safari seems to ID much better on the deeper coins than my whites does.
I have been fooled several times thinking I am about to recover a silver dime at 8" only to recover a wheatie, but that is still ok by me. Silver dimes have always come in at 38, 39 for me. 39 is supposed to be quarters, but I have found wheaties, and dimes that register 38, 39. I have always been one to dig most every thing when I get a good signal depending on the site, so I always dig a lot of trash. With my whites if the target id was in the indian head/zinc range and above, it was always dug, so on the safari if the ID is 28 and above it is always going to be dug. If your hunting a site that doesn't have 100 pull tabs for every 100 square feet, run as little discrimination as you can stand. I opened the coin program and only rejected -10 to -4 and then cross saved into the Relic program as I don't like icons. Then if I get a signal that I hear that nice sweet tone of a silver dime/wheatie but the id jumps from the 30's to the ferrous numbers, I quick switch into all metal and see if there is some iron I can identify close to a good target. I found the Ben Franklin half that way. There was a large piece of iron a couple inches away from it. I switched to all metal, and dug the iron out first and then was able to pinpoint the coin better and recovered the half. I was pretty stoked. The safari has pretty good seperation even with that 10" pro coil. Someday I want to get the 8x6 SEF coil for trashy sites.
I think one of the reasons many don't like the safari is the bouncy ID and that it doesn't have a wide ID range like other detectors so they can leave the zincs and pennies behind. I have hunted in Low Trash Setting and the ID locks on much better, but I just like the High Trash Setting better. You get used to it.
I was a bit under the weather to day so I didn't get out, but hope I feel better tomorrow. If I do, you can bet I will be out detecting in the morning.
Keep us posted on what you find.
Dan C

right now I'm set up using the relic mode ( for the ferrous sounds ) crossed saved into the coin jewelry mode..... also using the low density trash setting.... I,ve had a pretty good week myself, and even tho I was pretty proficient with the explorer, this safari needs abit more work....................Those damn flattened screw tops from wine bottles are another bother that gets me every time... They come in at 35-36, and sure sound good, but every stinkin time its been a screw top and not a wheaty....Will have more huntin time soon..

Mark ( ohio )

Thanks for the explanation Dan. That is an awesome pile of work you have there. I have the Quatro book coming this week so I will be able to understand some of what you said. The manual that came with the Safari leaves a little to be desired. I have had to dig a lot of trash this week trying to learn the hobby and the Safari. I keep getting a null void for long periods in trashy areas and it is driving me crazy. I tried going to all metal but that was unworkable. (can't wait for the book to get here)
Again nice stash,
HH
Bunker
Safari

Get Andy's book asap... It will help you a lot and you'll wonder why the detector doesn't come with it...

edjcox said:
Get Andy's book asap... It will help you a lot and you'll wonder why the detector doesn't come with it...

The detector came with the book. Have read it a few times already. A must have.

Dan

Great finds. I really slow down when I get in trashy areas. Sometimes I will go back over where I have hunted and turn 90 degrees and get good signals that I don't see how I missed the first time. I guess that's why they call it hunting. HH :minelab::thumbup:

Thanks for the tip DanO. I got Andy's book but I still struggle when in trashy areas. I just got a 8x6 SEF coil but have only used it once.