Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Township,Range,and Section

LabradorBob

Staff member
A lot of the old maps have township,Range,and Section.
That is how they plotted out maps in a certain time frame.
A township is Normally 36 square miles:
Along the side of a map it might have say,T25N,that means Township 25 north starts there
and goes North to the next township.
Along the top of the map,It will have like R 29W,This means the range starts there and goes west.
If it says R 29E it starts there and goes east.
Each square mile is a section.The section number is usually in the center of the section.
Here is a good link to learning this.
http://ags.ou.edu/~msoreg/G1104/maps/town_range.html

This can help you find things like say an old school or a house that is no longer there.
Can you view Township,Range and section on Google Earth?
Yes you can,Here is a link to do that also.
http://www.earthpoint.us/Townships.aspx
They give you five free moves with this,they want you to join,if you do that,i think it is like a penny a move.
A move is every time you move the map or zoom in.
Beware that county lines have changed over the years,so it might not be spot on perfect.
I usually look for objects to line up to make it correct.
after your five moves,it will ask you to delete it,i usually do,then i download it again for five more moves.

Have fun
LabradorBob

LabradorBob