Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tracking causes noisy operation

wasp said:
Ytcoinshooter said:
Out of 140 members in my club I know only one other member for certain who usues the V3i. I can count a few who tried it and sold it.
HH - Bruce

Bruce, why do you think this is?
That's the key question. In a nutshell: because we are a results oriented society. I'll explain my thought on that.

One member who went from the DFX to the V3i kept saying he was "fustrated" , "not finding anything anything deep". He said would set the V down and grab his DFX so as to find something so his hunt wasn't a waste. That alone doesn't say much, I am interested why expirenced detectorists give up on the V. BTW He went to the CTX3030 and loves it. That's got a learning curve of its own but probably was clearer to him or it took less tweaking to get the results he wanted. I've witnessed him have success at natural find hunts with it. He brought up a nice 1 real at a decent depth on a farm field. He was beaming! Sure wish I could have checked that signal before he dug it. In talking to him about his frustration with the V3i before he sold it I was asking him about his filter choices and a few other related setting that directly affect performance. By his response I now know it is related to understanding the menus and tech - principals by which a metal detector operates. It's no knock on him. In our results oriented society people expect a computer to behave as an appliance. So to dig into the nuts and guts of how things work to get something optimized isn't to everybody's liking. So as the V3i is concerned it's the operators ability to be that interface between the detector and what's in the ground we are seeking.
There are times I too like simplicity. Sometimes I will opt to use another detector in some applications if I know it will be effective and take less effort to set up or I may prefer some characteristic of the other detector that I want to utilize.
There are probably as many answers to your question as detectorists who gave up on the V3i.
HH - Bruce

I find my v3i to be pretty easy to understand..but I watched alot of videos and did a lot of research..my brother went through 3 v3i 's before he gave up..he wasn't finding anything deeper than 5 or 6 inches..when he saw me pull coins at 10 inches he laughed and said yup he definitely had something setup wrong..all I did was raise the disc sensitivity and switched filters..anything is difficult if you make it that way....HH!!

You are right. I should have distilled my thoughts down to a simpler explanation IMHO: the controls - what is it? What does it do? How does it effect operation? What do I need for where I am detecting? We used to say in the data center RTFM. I do tell anyone in my area who asks help with the V my ground filter choice, how to check ground balance, and how to set RX gain and sensitivity. I always mention a little about the recovery setting too, dependent on coil and how target laden a site might be. Beyond that it doesn't hurt to understand a little about VLF basics. We started off talking about tracking in this thread, that leads me to think of "ground matrix".....and there I go again...:spin:
HH - Bruce