Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

trails pinpointer

skuzzb

has anybody got opinion on FAMOUS TRAILS FTMD-P1 METAL DETECTOR PINPOINTER?
thanks

Skuzzb,
I am not familiar with any of the famous trails products. I only have one brand of pinpointers in my arsenal. They are made by a company called Treasure Products in Simi Valley California. Their line of pinpointers are called vibraprobe. I own the vibraprobe 580 and the vibratector 730. They make one more called the vibraquatic. I will probably buy that one too. All of their pinpointers are waterproof, can be submerged to 100 ft. My dad and brother both own the vibraquatic. It will detect an object up to 2" underground. All are built ruggedly out of stainless steel. They do not have volume but the handle vibrates on all of them when they pick up a target. The vibraquatic and the vibratector have an led light that flashes when they pick up a target. I am extremely loyal to this company. Once you purchase one of these units you are set. They will last you forever. They also run on only one 9 volt battery. You can look them up at treasure products.com. I would recommend buying the vibraquatic. I love my 580 but really like the extra depth of the vibraquatic and will likely buy one some day. A pinpointer is a valuable asset to anyone serious about this great hobby. Good luck on your hunt for a pinpointer.

thanks for the info,im new to detecting and there are so many pinpointers and reviews on them it starts to get confusing,living in New Zealand where detecting is reasonably new there is not much choice or info,once again thanks
Dave

what sort of depth do you get with vibraquatic compared to the pistolprobe which is supposedly 5"
thanks

I think my My dad has found targets at 4" with his vibraquatic. They only run on 1 9 volt battery instead of 2 like the pistol probe and are waterproof. The are also built out of stainless steel. The pistol probe looks to be built out of plastic and does not say anything about being waterproof. I have drilled a hole with my screwdriver and then rammed my pinpointer down in there because it is durable, located the target on either side of the hole or at the bottom of the hole and only need to make a hole the size of the one inch tip. The reviews on the pistol probe look fascinating. The depth was six inches on the pistol probe according to one guy. My 580 is about 1 inch to 1/2 inch. I like this because it allows me to find the target quickly in a hole. Never used the pistol probe, but the reviews look good. I like the vibraprobes because I sometimes go detecting in rain and snow and never have to worry about getting them wet. Good luck and happy hunting.

once again thanks for the info,one last question,do they have led light that shines in the hole?
Dave

I could not find anything official on the depth. It is not listed on their site and few people have written reviews on them. They are not as well known as the pistol probe. From my own use of the vibraprobe I will probably not buy anything else. They do not have a light that shines in the hole. Does the pistol probe? I did not see anything about that when I looked at the pistol probe. My dad does hunt at night with his. Does not seem to slow him down not having a light to shine in the hole. It has a bright blue led that flashes when you find your target and flashes more rapidly as you get closer to your target. Ilike the simplicity of the vibraprobes. No switches just hold it upright to turn on. Then hold it upright again to turn off. I also would be interested to see what the approximate battery life is on the pistol probe. You can hunt forever it seems like with one battery in the vibraprobes. I have a one 9 volt Compadre metal detector and my vibraprobe. It seems like forever before I replace the batteries in each. Simplicity means less possibility of breaking down. Good luck.

once again thanks for the info,will have to talk to the wife nicely as the price when converted to New Zealand dollars is about $240 although the likes of Kellyco charge $45 US to post here,i also have Bounty Hunter 505 so if you have any tips you could share with me that would be appreciated.
Dave

You might check on eBay. Some people on eBay ship internationally. My 1st detector, the 505 was a birthday present from the wife. The Compadre birthday money and finds. Both vibraprobes were from finds and the discovery 3300 was from winning a contest. The wife says I can use my finds to purchase new equipment. I kind of like earning my gear. Hope your wife does not read that, might be longer before you get it. You might find a better deal on eBay. Saw most pistol probes new for $160.00. What does that translate to for you money wise. Is that the $240. By the way did you choose to go with the pistol probe? It did intrigue me I will admit. I live in Utah and plan to do some rugged detecting in the future and like the durability of the vibraprobes. Let me know what you think of the pistol probe, if you do get it. Specs like how deep does it go, how long do the batteries last, and how durable the construction is? Whatever your choice I hope it meets your expectations and more. Good luck and hh

im still learning with 505 but seems to be a alright machine to start off with,if i get enough finds or wife relents i think i might go for the vibraprobe,they sound rugged and reliable,pistolprobe has good reviews but not sure how sturdy they are but are dearer than vibraprobe,$160 US is roughly $192 NZ,once again thanks for the info
Dave

Your welcome. You will not go wrong with your choice of a vibraprobe for ruggedness, battery life and waterproof on top of that. Had it to do all over again. I might have bought the vibraquatic to start with. My 580 is awesome though. It has a one inch tip, the aquatic has a two inch tip. I can get down in holes I make with a screwdriver. My dad gets more depth on the when he scans the surface. He recently bought a deeper seeking detector and now wants to buy the 580 to go with his vibraaquatic. Seems like in this hobby you can never satisfy the want for new toys. Keep working with the 505. I will try tO think of some more tips I have found. Reading the forums can help. I have found some good info here. The big thing is just to try to hunt in all metal in a low trash area and learn your detectors tones. Good luck

will have to try and sweet talk the wife,i am looking for one's for sale,even second hand one's so if you hear of any can you pm me,and once again thanks heaps
Dave

Even second hand I bet they would be amazing. I have only seen a few second hand. I think people hold on to them. I will not get rid of mine. I will keep an eye out for you. When you get a pinpointer it will make it a lot easier to find your targets. I dug for about 3 or four months when first started out before I got my first pinpointer. It sure makes it easier with one. I am excited about your choosing a vibraprobe. You will not be disappointed.

Kellyco are trying to talk me into buying propointer plus $45 US shipping but like i said i like the sound of vibra quatic,nice and robust and water proof although i wont be going into water,now all i have to do is sweet talk the wife.lol.
thanks again
Dave

Way to stick to your guns on the vibraprobe. People really seem to like the pro pointer and the reviews look good. I can't stand watching videos though on YouTube where someone is use a propointer and it screams at you as it gets closer to the target. From what I have read there is a silent search with the propointer as well. I like the silent search of the vibraprobe. Also you never know in the future you might want to hunt in rain or snow and you will be set if you ever get a waterproof detector. I have never regretted buying the vibraprobe. I don't think the durable construction can be matched by any other pinpointer out there. By way of curiosity how much were they willing to sell the propointer to you for ?you can let me know via pm if you want to. It is worth it to spend a little more for the vibraprobe. You will not regret it.

Yes. Did you get the one I sent back to you? Hope you have had some time to get out with your 505. I was ablr to go out last night and today. I found $3.00 in change and a junk jewelry fake gold chain. It was long an would have been nice if it was real. Still a lot of fun to dig out of the ground. $2.25 in quarters out of the $3.00. It is just enjoyable to get out. I was out for 3 hours today. I don't have to find a lot for it to be a great time. Today I was out when the sun came up and looked out over the valley from a hill I was on. I took a moment to pause and take in the sunrise and the view. it was a great day. Good luck HH.

Jake

yep got your email,went out this morning,found $1 and a old penny but cant see the date on it,started rainging so had to give up as i dont have a rain cover,there are some on ebay for $14.95 US and $17.95 US shipping,bloody ridiculous shipping cost.mentioned pinpointer to wife and suprisingly she understood so when i find a place with reasonable shipping costs i will get vibra quatic.

Congrats on your finds. I have not bought a rain cover yet either. I just tie a grocery bag over my detector for now whent I want to hunt in the rain. You should do some research for your area. See if you can find some old spots to search. If theirvare some farms or old churches near by, you might be able to get permission to hunt them. That is great news for you about the vibraquatic. Too bad you cannot negotiate lower shipping with one of these companies.

Jake