Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

trails pinpointer

we have a park just down the road from where i live and thats where we have been hunting the last few weekends,also have a river running through town,we have rowing regattas and motor boat racing which brings in alot of people who hopefully lose stuff,another place we are trying to get into is the racecourse,there are still lots of parks around so we will be busy,here is the NZ care code so i guess we are lucky not having to get permission for parks.i am going to see if i can get better postage costs,

Gold fossicking care code

Fossick with care for the environment:

Be informed of all statutory regulations that govern prospecting activities in New Zealand.
Prospect only in the permitted area.
Only drive your vehicles on tracks and roads open to the public.
Do not remove or damage any shrubs or trees, and minimise damage to ground layer vegetation.
Restore the ground as you found it. Backfill any holes you dig and replace any leaf litter as it was as best you can.
Equipment for excavation on the land other than hand tools may not be used. Never use explosives.
Don't disturb, destroy, interfere with or endanger an archaeological site or place of cultural

Sounds like you are good to go as long as you play bynthe rules. Those places you mentioned seem like geat places to hunt. The race course sounds like a fantastic place to check. Is it a race course for horses or cars? I would find out what is considered as historical or archeological for your area. Where I live unless it is a coin anything over 100 years falls into an antiquities law and cannot be kept. It is good to find out. On the pinpointer there are two classified forums on this site in the other forumns section. You might get lucky and find one there that might be less costly used and offset shipping costs.

Jake

the race course is for horses and has been around for a 100 years so hopefully we can get in there and have a hunt,as far as i know there is no law about our finds,i tried to put a wanted to buy ad on this forum but i didnt have enough posts so will keep my eye on the for sale ads,went out again this morning and found 3 more pennies all in the 1930's range,also a silver threepence in the same era,on the pinpointer side it doesnt have sound does it?only vibration and led lights,am i correct and if so is it good vibration and also are led's easy to see in daytime.
Dave

Yes. The vibration on them is really good. The led light is easy to see even in the daylight and very bright at night. Let's just say it wakes up right away when you find your target. No mistaken that you have something under this pinpointer. Hardly ever do you leave a target. Located a small nail the other day about the size of a straight pin with my 580. That is exciting that you found a silver 3 pence. I hope you get to hunt the race course. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Jake

yep i cant wait to find a vibra quatic with a realistic shipping price,the park we are in now is huge so going to take awhile to get through it but racecourse will be a good second option if we are allowed in it,
Dave

Don't worry about hurrying through the park. The 505 works better if you swing it slow. Plus also if you go slow and overlap your swings you have less chance of missing stuff. It is hard not to want to cover the whole park in one day hoping you will find great things. I have found when I go at a snails pace and cover a 20ft by 20ft spot very slowly my finds may increase and they definitely are better. The other day I went back to one of my favorite hunting spots and found quarters I had missed the time before. They had been in the ground for a while. Going slow is tedious but it is harder to miss stuff. Just pick a section of the park and choose a landmark, hunt a section a day and you will have even better finds. Good luck and HH.

Jake

yeah i am getting used to going slow but took abit of geting used to,trying to cover park as quick as i could,i have gone back over some of the places i already had been over and found more coins,so im learning,lol,i normally hunt in all metal or disc mode,have you any good tips for cleaning old coins as nothing i have tried has worked,
Dave

Check out a site called metaldetectingworld.com I have found a wealth of information there that has helped me along the way. The guy has all kinds of info from conducting research and beginners tips to cleaning coins. If they have just been in the ground for a while and they are not ones you want to keep, but just turn back in or spend I have used this method and it is very effective. Make sure you separate any coins with copper in them from all other coins or else you will turn the other coins red. Get a jar with a lid. Put just enough vinegar in to cover the coins with about 2 tablespoons of table salt (may have to use more salt, depending on the amount of vinegar). Close the lid and shake the bottle. You can leave coins in the bottle with the mixture for a short time to soak. Not long though. Rinse with water after. Dry laid out on a paper towel. This has even made the coins in my area with lots of iron, that have turned red better. If you want to make the older coins or more valuable coins look better that you would like to keep visit that website. Do not clean them this way. Sounds like you are off to a good start. You can email me or pm me when you find your first gold if you would like. It is really exciting. You will dig a lot of trash, but eventually find gold if you hunt anywhere to the left of the 12 o' clock position on your detectors disc knob. Good luck and HH.

Jake

ok thanks for the info,that site ######.com i cant find,can you pm me the link to it,i sent you email with details on google earth so you can check out our city and the spot im hunting in at the me,
cheers
Dave