Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Transitioning from DFX to SE - good luck so far, but have questions

monindou

Hi folks,

I posted this same message on the Explorer Classroom Forum, so if posting it here is a bad thing, sorry.

I just my new SE last Friday, have put in about 24 hours on it, and I

A lot of questions here maybe too many for 1 person to answer but i can honestly tell you that all of the large silver coins i found hit top right corner every time! and the cross hair hit hard. the crosshair can actually go over the top right edge corner of the screen slightly on silver. Another thing is the deeper you go the more bouncy the cross hair can get. Get the hours in on your SE and the finds rate will without no question of a doubt INCREASE A LOT On heavily worked sites that have not had other explorer users on then you can expect to find quite a lot of deeper silver targets missed by others in the past , thats if silver is there of course. Its a hard beast to master though but goes down deep, - happy hunting

I am not sure if I should even try to help you since I don't own a Ex. SE but I do have the Ex. XS. As I see it every little bit helps....sooooooooooo
Q.1_ Reading the manual will tell you how to load a saved pattern. Menu------select------clear screen-------press arrow down till you get to 1-6 patterns saved------select which pattern you want with a check mark( not an X)-------press Detect button and thats it.
Q2a._The sound of silver is a key also....dimes hit high but not far right like silver quarters, more like a penny but you will only see half the boxed curser.
larger silver (halfs) will hit far right but not as high as quarters....Now the thing to pay attention to is the sound and the depth, if it bounces alot and it is deep on scale, it sounds good and it will either ride up and down the far right side from top to mid way towards crown caps or far right line hi and low to mid top line ....dig!!! Try to take your time and get the best signal you can by changing your angles 90 deg. at a time....if it sounds good 2 out of 4 90 deg., its a good bet its silver. P.S. Large cents seem to look like silver halfs to, so that will be a nice surprise when you are expecting a silver and you pull out a old large cent!
Q3a._ Digital #s will be scued, the same for the smart screen curser, By being close to another target or high ground minerls and being deep, and corrosion of target.....the secret to this is to use all available info the Explorer has to offer you....Sound,digital #,smart screen curser position,-------by going slow and try to see if there are 2 or more targets and change swing by 90 deg. at a time and even by using pin point to see if there are more than 1 target you will have a good idea what is under the ground. =====I will use smart screen and curser all the time....then when a target is found I anylize curser and sound....then I hit detect and see digital # and change 90 deg to see if it stays the same or gets better or worse....then if I am running a disc. pattern I want to go back to smart screen then hit iron mask button (always set to wide open all metal which is -16 for Ex. XS) and listen and watch curser, then I can hear and see why maybe it is acting the way it is. I personnally don't like the digital # cause it is hard to keep a steady # coming up on every pass of the coil...but when it locks on 28 or 30 it is a nice thing....24-26 for indians for the XS
Q4b./Q5_ Noise cancel will get rid of interfearance noises .....but I have been in a park with lots of electrical lines underground and couldn't get rid of that completely....so I had to live with it and when I came over a coin it was obvious it was not falses......I think you maybe describing iron falsing on the edges of a nail or something.....if you swing left and hear a low iron sound and then swing right you hear a weeeeep high sound...this is when you turn 90 deg. and do it again....it most likely will be iron both ways....move on....if you eyeball center of target when it is sounding good then pinpoint and it is off to the side it is iron object falsing on the edge of it......move on
Q6a_NO you cannot disc. out all screw caps and still get all Indian heads.....I decided to make a disc. pattern for a trashy fair ground site....went there and dug all targets to get a variety of pull tabs, screw caps etc.....went back home and "learned" them in a pattern to be blackend out......then took my past coins found, and found out that some of the indians were blocked out by some of the screw caps so I then used "edit" with the smallest curser size and erased the black out a little at a time till the indians sounded off.....I now have saved a little time digging, but still have to dig a few screwcaps...but NOT ALL OF THEM!

Your best thing to do is read and learn but the "best of the best" thing to do is go out and use it and pay close attention to what is happening......Not all things are what they seem to be.....I have dug Nickels at the beach( very High ground minerals) that where deep and showing far left but same hieght as nickels on smart screen....so everything will not be text......this I learned....NOT even the MINELAB Explorer is Perfect.....but I feel it is the closest I will come to perfect with the technology of the times!
Wish you Good Luck cause luck does play a part of good finds....but experience is a great option to have.........HH.....Mattockman :minelab: :detecting: