Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trashy Park

Jeff63

A local park turns 100 years old this year and is hunted by everyone to death. Good coins are far and few between. In the last 2 years I have managed to fine 1 Barber dime, 1 Barber quarter, 2 V nickels,4 Buffs, 1 war nickel and maybe 10 wheat cents. Everyone avoids the picnic area because of the blanket of trash. When I first got the E-Trac I hunter it with the Pro coil and the X5 and several times and yes I found clad but gave up on it because of the brain drain due to the trash. Then I got to thinking, if there is any good coins left in this park they will have to be where no one wants to hunt, so I put the 8x6 coil on and hunted it twice in the last 2 days and found 53 targets. It wasn't easy, example : 4" Dia. plug 5" deep I pulled 3 and 1/2 beaver tails out above a clad quarter. trash numbers but a consistent high tone. I was impressed how the 8x6 sef locked in on the quarter and not the beaver tails. I found quarters ,dimes ,1 nickel and 41 Zincs. My point is, they could have been Indians, V nickels, silver dimes or barbers and the same with the quarters. If the target count stayed the same for the area I covered and how much of the picnic area I haven't covered yet, then I think there's maybe 3 or 4 hundred target left to be dug. IF MY BRAIN CAN TAKE IT. Is it worth it for a chance for silver???? Sorry it posted Twice , Please remove one. I'm suffering from brain fatigue

I rarely have that kind of patience but I do beleive in areas like that if u clear the trash you will find deeper stuff, good stuff that is masked by shallow trash. I deleted ur duplicate post for u

got 44 wheat 53 rosie there this morning fe20 co30 stock coil man sens 27 third silver using those settings there

I have found trashy parks can but rewarding. Ive been hunting a 130 year park that has been hunted the last 30 years and been

Thanks Goes4Ever for removing my repeat post. Clearing the trash out would be impossible. You would have to haul it away by the dump truck loads. 10 to 15 pieces of trash per sq. ft.

Jeff63 said:
Thanks Goes4Ever for removing my repeat post. Clearing the trash out would be impossible. You would have to haul it away by the dump truck loads. 10 to 15 pieces of trash per sq. ft.
like I said I am far too impatient for this as well.....

Jeff63 said:

Hey Jeff63, i feel your pain! Got a few of them hyper dense trashy parks here with great 19th Century histories too.
A few are pull tab burial grounds and a couple are nail cemetaries with a few pull tabs sprinkled in. And all of the them have been pounded to hell with the easy ones long gone.

Any remaining oldies around here are either deep, deep near junk or deep on-edge near junk.
Still, i managed to harvest an untold number of wheats and at least a couple silvers out of them all. I don't give up on an old park until i find at least one silver coin there.

The method that seems to work so far is Ferrous settings, trash on, fast recovery, man. sense, deep off, sweep slow and deliberate, wiggle PP and watch that depth indicator like a hawk.
In a pull tab park, the pattern discriminates them things out. Been using MTF lately in these areas with a pattern that allows coinage down to iron with the aluminum junk area discriminated out. If i suspect a good target, i'll switch to open mask to get the big picture and start wiggling away.
Also, i've had zero luck in these trash parks finding oldies with a small coil as most if not all of them oldies are deep. Clad? no problem with a small coil.

Finding oldies in these trashy environments is a challenge no doubt about it.
The good news, if one perseveres and becomes even a little successful detecting in extreme trashy parks, the rest is all down hill.

I like trying new methods, I never thought about MTF, what the benefit compared to MTC ? I've tried totally open screen MTC and 2TF, Trashy Part program but I open the silver box down to FE. 27 co line in MTC but not in ferrous. The next time I go there I'm going to try my 10x12 SEF coil for depth. I've also hit it with the 5" stealth coil.

Goes4ever said:
Jeff63 said:
like I said I am far too impatient for this as well.....

Me too! Too many, potentially, better places to hunt to deal with the trash and clad. However, if you can deal with it, it could pay off.

I have had better luck hunting the woods, near picnic areas, in trashy parks. The woods seem to creep in on the open areas over time. Less trash, and usually not hunted out.

Jeff63 said:
I like trying new methods, I never thought about MTF, what the benefit compared to MTC ? I've tried totally open screen MTC and 2TF, Trashy Part program but I open the silver box down to FE. 27 co line in MTC but not in ferrous. The next time I go there I'm going to try my 10x12 SEF coil for depth. I've also hit it with the 5" stealth coil.

I've used 2TF, 4TF and now MTF typically in dense iron junk areas. Ferrous settings are of no use if the pattern discriminates iron out.
I typically keep iron open down to 35 because i want to see the whole coin/iron picture without any iron nulling. I've found deep coins with ferrous hitting below 27 usually with iron nearby.

The advantages of MTF or 4TF are after getting used to it, one can hunt more on tones as opposed to 2TF.
In MTF, pure iron is a very low unmistakable grunting tone, a lower tone than in 2TF. Coins and other non-ferrous targets will have anywhere from a medium hi-pitched tone to a hi-pitched tone.
If iron is left open down to 35 in MTC, a corroded 35-47 nail will have a silver tone 'hopefully' causing a stop to glance at the display for a digital ID verification.
In MTF, that same corroded nail would have a definite pure iron tone with no need to stop sweeping

Simplified, my Ferrous 'extreme' trashy nail/pull tab pattern basically discriminates all Conductive to 25 but with a nickel notch. The rest of the pattern is left open to eliminate any iron nulling. In lesser or no pull tab trash areas or when relic hunting, i'll use an open screen. I gave up looking for gold jewelry in trashy pull tab parks.

Far as small coils in extremely trashy parks, they're great for isolating and finding shallow clad. But all those pull tabs and/or nails will mask the deeper stuff especially considering the lesser depth capabilities of small coils.
Using a larger coil in trashy areas takes a little getting used to. When i say larger coil, i mean nothing larger than a 12X13 Ultimate or Tornado. My Tornado being a larger coil has excellent separation for its size and from what i've read here, so does the Ultimate.
Can't speak for the Pro Coil, haven't used that thing since i got my Tornado coil.

All these eTRAC options are there for experimenting.
It all boils down to personal preference and more importantly what works for the individual.

Thanks for the information . I have used totally open screen in 2TF but never thought about trying MTF. It makes sense what your telling me and I'm going to try it the next few times out to that area. Your explanation was very clear.

I hunt the trashy area of the picnic areas when I have to stay close to home. I got a 4" SLQ the other day in pulltab h#ll. went back the next day with the X5 and pulled some wheats. Patience is definitely tested. But I kind of like the challenge.