Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure Hunt Token

Suncoast Kid

Hello fellow pirates,

I found this token at Ft. Desoto Park a while back about six feet from the water, and just got it clean enough to get pictures of it. At first I about had a heart attack thinking it was a large coin, but after looking closer I was amazed what it was.

On the front it says: FUNTIME TREASURE HUNT, WHERE PIRATES OLD HID THEIR SILVER AND GOLD, ST. PETERSBURG FLORIDA, FUN AND FORTUNE AWAIT YOU.

On the back: THIS COIN FOUND IN THE THE 1962 FUNTIME MARINE TREASURE HUNT IS REDEEMABLE FOR ONE SILVER DOLLAR IF PRESENTED AT THE GREATER ST. PETERSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE DURING BUSINESS HOURS ON OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 14, 1962, VOID AFTER THIS DATE.

I was only six months old during that time. Obviously back then you could hunt just about anywhere, now just the main beaches and with a permit from the office. If anyone else has found one of these tokens please let me know. WOW you never know what you'll find, guess that's why we all do it. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Better late than never, looks in good condition for being on the beach that long

I forgot to mention that the token is about the size of a half dollar. When I found it, it was covered with some large and small square brown crystals from oxidation that looked really neat, but had to be removed in the cleaning process to see what the token said. It was found in an area that had coarse sand, and close to a mangrove root system that may have prevented it from moving much over all the years.

That's a good idea to see how many were made, and how many were turned in. I'm about 48 years too late to turn mine in, but I bet I would get a good laugh. HH