Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Treasure-Hunting Woman Gets Lost in Cold Forest

ohio fred

Police rescued a treasure-hunting Texas woman this weekend who was lost in the mountains of New Mexico in below-freezing temperatures, ABC News reports. Chanon Thompson, 33, had come in search of treasure that an author says he buried in the Santa Fe National Forest. Thompson's boyfriend reported her missing Friday when he didn't hear from her, and rescue teams found her the next morning. Thompson is now home resting and wasn't seriously hurt.

She was just one of the many seeking "emeralds, diamonds and rubies and sapphires" that 82-year-old author Forrest Fenn claims to have buried. In his book The Thrill of the Chase, he wrote a cryptic poem with lines like: "Begin it where warm waters halt

Well, unfortunately you can anticipate this happening. Many have lost their lives particularly in New Mexico and Arizona looking for treasure and lost mines.

At least she went after her dream, and did get home. I hope next time she pays more attention to her surroundings, but doesn't lose her confidence and will continue her quest.

when i visited Gallop new mexico , I was told be very carfull becuase thear is lots of mine holes, and some may even shoot at you if you are on thear land, as far as getting lost it happened to me , I ventured out in the woods with the Quad at night to show my frend a spot and since it was only a little ways into the woods, i was confident i could get out , then i had to avoid a log and got turned in the wrong derection and did not even know it pretty soon my freind says how come its taking so long then the brush got really thick and i started coming across deep holes and drop offs and fallen logs I started to panic, I was lost at night in the woods the clouds kept me from using the sky to tell N , , Normally in the day you can see for some distance and easaly get out but this was difrent . the light of the quad narrowed down you feild of veiw to 15 ft every tree looked the same I started praying and mad a go for it and finnaly recognized on hill and i new wich way to go and got out , so I never stay untill dark . another time i went out early in the morning deep into the woods, and then a fog came in , and agine my feild of view was reduced to 50 ft and i got disorentated things to keep in mind when hunting and this is a woods i know .

I'm not good at riddles and I hope somebody finds this treasure. The real treasure is the great outdoors as far as I'm concerned. Too many people forget that Mother Nature was created by Father God and what he creates is beautiful and untarnished. Glad this woman was rescued safe and sound and praying that no one loses their life looking for this treasure. HH.

Well said Fongu.

I actually know a bit about ciphers and codes from my days as a computer security guy but they will make you crazy trying to decode them. My suggestion is that if a person wants to find this cache to start by getting to know the author of the cipher. People are creatures of habit. He would have buried his treasure in a place of some familiarity to him. He will also most likely return to this area if he is able.

When examining his clues try to determine which landmarks would have been significant to the author perhaps because of a life event at the landmark. Social engineering is the #1 way to hack or get information that you seek. If I were local to him, I would definately get to know him without alerting him to the fact that I was looking for his treasure. I caught more bad guys through social engineering than any other way. People simply like to talk.

Understanding human nature will allow you to track down a treasure story and read a site where it may be cached a little better. Just sit back and think..."where would I bury a treasure"? ....."why did I choose this spot"? and begin to apply the same logic to others.

If you were to look for one of my caches....where would you start?:shrug:

Then you could always place a gps tracker in his cell phone or on his automobile......lol
Unfortunately this is what he has opened himself up to by burying a cache. Some people will do anything for money. :sad:

Yep! That's whats so great about these metal detectors! We get the thrill of tracking Men through what they dropped. We learn to read the earth, is this a good place to camp? is this where somebody would cross this river? Even just hunting a sports field, we know to hunt the shade, the heavy traffic patterns to and from, the detector verifies your abilities. You come across a big old oak tree out in the woods, you know dang well a guy stood right about here in the morning with the sun at his back to shoot at a squirrel, and BANG! heres an old shotgun shell right where it should be! Water/beach hunting is different in many regards, since the sands, currents, tides are in constant motion. For us then its a race against the elements and other detectorists! You know everybody and their brother grids the main, but does anybody get off to the side or up in the dune grass where there are some little private hollows? I agree, if somebody was able to de-code the Man, they could find this cache. I believe the thrill of the hunt even for just clad in a totlot can keep a guy stimulated for life! Well, I'm off to hunt in the water today, the wind dropped and switched to an offshore last night, and the Big Lake is flat as glass! I will be the first person in it at this beach since last Fall.
Mud

Millions in bounty hidden by New Mexico man
It's been almost four years since Forrest Fenn said he hid the gold and jewels, and thousands have tried to find it, but so far the treasure remains hidden. NBC's Janet Shamlian reports.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/50998157#50998157 the poem
The Poem

This poem written by Forrest Fenn contains nine clues that if followed precisely, will lead to the end of his rainbow and the treasure. Happy Hunting!

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.

From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.

If you've been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease,
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answer I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.
Also he has a book called The Thrill of the Chase and a web page and i think a face book page. This book is the remarkable true story of Forrest Fenn

Thanks Fred!
This will keep some folks busy for a while.
Especially with another snow storm rolling in here in Pa.Today. :surrender:
I just wish I lived closer.
But then there are so many places to hunt here that I can never search them all anyway.

Weather here is suppose to change by weekend and the just keep getting warmer in april.I thought i would post for some who lives near there and knows the area never know maybe with my post their find they might share.:rolleyes: with me.:)

Hey if you're ever over my way I'd be happy to guide you to some of the ghost towns here in North Central Pa. At least in my area of Pa. I'm probably the autority on them....lol....I go to the historical societies and they tell me I know more about these places than they do. I always give them copies of my notes and photos. I just submitted an article to E&W Treasures on one that has never even been photographed. (until now)

I won't go looking for the chest, but the poem he wrote got me in the chest.(heart). Sounds like an interesting man who has lived a great life. I remember the line John Wayne used in the movie the Shootist: I'm a man alone, afraid of the dark or something like that. Doggone memory of mine quits on me every time I need it. Mr. Garrett's quote of the scripture from the book of Matthew: Where your heart is, your treasure will be also. Probably not word for word, but there goes that memory again. Anyway, that's the gist of it to me. To all who look for the treasure I say: God bless, good luck and happy hunting..

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/04/new-mexico-man-officials-say-was-caught-digging-for-buried-treasure-to-face/?test=latestnews New Mexico man officials say was caught digging for buried treasure to face charges

Department spokesman Dan Williams says the man was found digging under a descanso along the upper Pecos River at the Terrero Campground last month. A descanso is a marker where someone has died or their ashes scattered.

Williams told the paper the man will be charged under a state law making it a misdemeanor to "excavate, injure, destroy or remove any cultural resource or artifact" on State Game Commission land.

I hope that Fenn wouldn't place his treasure anywhere where it is illegal to dig. I'd be curious to know why the guy was digging there,,,what in the poem made him believe the treasure was buried there? Or is it that the state is laying claim to Fenn's treasure?