Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tried new F70 settings so...GOLD!

REVIER

I have had some great success hunting an iron infested old farm house site this summer using what I call high power blast trough settings on the F70.
All metal and all settings at max looking for any numbers or blocks of higher than iron numbers showing up at all that don't seem to be false high tones thrown off around the perimeter of rusty iron.
I learned my lessons well and soon enough started to dig more non ferrous targets than iron and avoided most iron trash using several different coils.
Even when I chose to dig iron they usually were pretty good ones like some interesting fixtures and the 6 pocket knives I have found so far.

As well as this was going I always try new things and I wondered if there was an even easier method to hunt iron infested sites.
The answer was yes, Nasa Tom posted about it long ago.
Mono tone, disc at 4 or below, thresh and sense as high as you can get it with as much chatter as you can stand or as little as you feel you need to make it bearable...or non at all if that is what you choose.
I was in 1 tone, DE, 85 on the sense, -2 on the Thresh disc on 1 and no notch and this thing ran pretty darn quiet at this site for me.

The last time I visited this site I used his method and effortlessly plucked out another good one in an area I have scanned over and over but this time with way less jumping and way more stable numbers and tones than that high power method...by a large margin.

Not unhappy I did it that first way for so long, I just figure I now learned and know more than one way to hunt heavy iron infested sites which can't be a bad thing at all.

My club is going to be hunting another old site this month that is usually off limits and there could be a bunch of iron there so for the last few hunts I have been practicing using that one tone method pretty much exclusively and I am happy to say this seems to be one of the most stable, quiet and quality info producing methods I have used on the F70 so far.
Today I was near one end of a park right next to power lines that drove my F2 a little nuts on high power and even my usually stable and quiet Compadre would talk to me a bit in this area, but to my surprise the very powerful F70 stayed quiet, amazingly quiet, actually.
Who knows, this is the kind of thing that might just turn into my usual hunting settings but I have more sites to hit and more experimenting to do.

Anyway, I left the house this morning and I told the wife I was off to find some gold.
Nothing unusual, I always say that, but it has been a few weeks since I found my last gold ring so that gold fever is starting to flare up again.
I hit this park that is pretty old and trashy and even though iron isn't a huge problem here can slaw, foil and tabs of all kinds are, but these settings seem to work well at sites like these, too.
I was walking back to the truck after finding some clad in this short hunt but no gold and came across this signal that was foil all the way...a pretty stable 23-24 on the F70 and the big DD coil.
Trash that jumps more than 2 or 3 numbers, especially if it does that or changes to other numbers when I turn and hit them from another angle I leave in the ground, all targets that don't change and stay within that 2-3 number range I dig every time no matter where they come in.
This one stayed at 2 numbers, never wavered, sounded strong so it had to be dug.
I still expected a small piece of can slaw or some foil, but once again I was surprised as I have been every other time I have dug gold.
About 3" deep I see this small round edge and it ain't no foil and it is gold in color.
Cleaning it off I see 14kp...plumb gold and even higher than 10k so I am happy.
I had that big coil mounted, I was not on low sense and this was surrounded by a bunch of trash so I have high hopes that this 1 tone system might just turn out to be a pretty good one in future hunts.
As always, more experimenting to do but we will see.

1.3 grams of yellow goodness and number 5 for me for the year.

Thanks Tom...I credit this one to you!

Thanks for the update on your detecting experiences.
I try your settings on my F 75. Everything transfers but I an not sure if the F 75 threshold settings transfer.
ON the F 75 threshold is set in the All Metal mode.
Question for everyone.
If you adjust threshold in All Metal Mode on the F 75 does the setting lock in when you go back to Discrimination mode?

on the f75 the threshold only applies to all metal, good job on the gold revier are you using 1 or 1f tones i like 1f i can tell if the targets a shallow or deeper and mono tone for me works much better in heavy emi areas also hh

ez4sure said:
on the f75 the threshold only applies to all metal, good job on the gold revier are you using 1 or 1f tones i like 1f i can tell if the targets a shallow or deeper and mono tone for me works much better in heavy emi areas also hh

Right now 1 tone.
I have used 2F a lot in the past, I have read that it seems to handle EMI best in this mode by a few hunters and I also like the depth modulation you get with those F tones.
So far in my limited use in just a couple of hunts this mono tone seems to be the most stable of all so far.
I still have a few of my sites to revisit and see how well this single tone works compared to the all metal, 4H and 2F settings I have tried at these sites before.
The target separation even with the big coil in 1 tone seems superb, depth is extremely good even in DE and not SL, but even SL seems a bit more stable, quieter and less chatty in this one tone with the negative threshold settings.
This is why I always experiment and try new things.
There might be some different optimum settings for every type of site, some kind of blanket setting that might work at most sites, and a huge amount of combinations possible on the F70/F75 platforms to try.
Sometimes I just hunker down set the thing one way and hunt, but this tweaking stuff is almost as much fun for me as locating and digging up good targets.
That is why I post this stuff in such detail here.
I will spend the time discovering and fine tuning what settings seem to work, if someone just wants to try those same settings and they also work for them that is very satisfying for me to hear.
Anything I can do to help another hunter find that next great thing is a privilege.

Thats so very cool! :clapping: I am enjoying your posts and your effort to dive deep into what the 70 can do and learning a lot from following your adventures! Keep it up!..:clapping:
Mud....

I've tried similar settings in the trashy yards I hunt, except in delta pitch instead of 1 tone, and was getting fooled by old rusty nails pretty badly. I'll have to try similar settings again with 1 tone instead.

I remember with my first F75Ltd I was having some problems and I contacted Dave J and he suggested I run one tone and I did and it made a big difference then. Today I took my latest F75 out and thought I would try the one tone again and man that detector was quiet. It was so quiet I had to put a clad dime down a couple of time to make sure it was working. No big coin finds to brag about but if I would have passed over one I am sure it would have let me know.

I don't have a problem running the machine with tones but I liked what was going on today, so I think I will keep going with the single tone.

Thanks for the reminder.

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
I remember with my first F75Ltd I was having some problems and I contacted Dave J and he suggested I run one tone and I did and it made a big difference then. Today I took my latest F75 out and thought I would try the one tone again and man that detector was quiet. It was so quiet I had to put a clad dime down a couple of time to make sure it was working. No big coin finds to brag about but if I would have passed over one I am sure it would have let me know.

I don't have a problem running the machine with tones but I liked what was going on today, so I think I will keep going with the single tone.

Thanks for the reminder.

Ron in WV

Just reporting what I see in the field.
This setting does appear to be super quiet with almost no jumping at all except on certain trash...very surprising and impressive so I am using it as my prime setting for now.
Working good so far.

I tried one tone yesterday with those settings on the F75. Tested the setting on the pocket change. Then in an old amusement park. I was worried I would miss something if I did not keep my eye on the scale to look for high numbers. Went back to 4H tones. Seems that is my favorite because I pay attention to the high tones. That way I am not staring constantly at the display.Due to all the trash. I eventually resorted to Discrim at 15, Pf, notch 40. That masks out most of the junk and allows quick travel and scanning for coins.

Coin Rescue Inc said:
I tried one tone yesterday with those settings on the F75. Tested the setting on the pocket change. Then in an old amusement park. I was worried I would miss something if I did not keep my eye on the scale to look for high numbers. Went back to 4H tones. Seems that is my favorite because I pay attention to the high tones. That way I am not staring constantly at the display.Due to all the trash. I eventually resorted to Discrim at 15, Pf, notch 40. That masks out most of the junk and allows quick travel and scanning for coins.

I also love 4H as my normal park settings when I am shooting for coins and jewelry, that high tone nickel option was just pure genius as far as I am concerned and I also notice those high tones more than others so it helps.
I have at least 2 gold rings that I might have found without it, but they were both in the nickel region so that high tone made me notice them.
No looking at the screen in that mode until I hear a good tone so I can sweep through an area pretty quickly if it isn't so trashy and have confidence I am not missing much.
This one tone method entails watching that screen closely in heavy iron and in trash filled sites, I have learned, but just a different way to do it and this little foil area ring found in the midst of trash is the result.
I have hunted the area where I found this ring many times before with different detectors and coils and might have come across this signal in the past, almost positive I have as a matter of fact, but due to masking or maybe who knows what other reasons I missed it.
Not this time.
Remember, this was surrounded by trash and I had the big DD coil mounted too and this thing is tiny so finding it wasn't easy.
This one tone method gave me a solid, no jumping dig me signal despite all that and I didn't switch to other tones to see what kind of signal it might have been but no matter...this way worked so I will continue playing around and practicing with it for awhile.

This Sunday our club is meeting and hunting at a special private site that is old and has some great history and I am looking forward to trying it out there.

Coin Rescue Inc said:

Not saying this is what you are doing but it sounds like what I was doing. For the most part I was running 3 tones low disc and listening for the high tones, then check the meter when it hit one.

My short hunt yesterday with one tone I did the same thing, I just set the disc just below zinc's and notched in nickels. So I was still letting the audio be the fist response and then checked the meter for ID numbers. You can do the same thing when running low disc and notching out items you don't want it to hit on.

I have heard a lot in the past about running low disc like 4 or less, but so far I can't see the magic in that.

Ron in WV

If I run the Discrim at 4 to 7 I can get the iron grunt and move on. The theory is to weed out any high tone false iron signals.
Seems when there are few coins or good targets I get the urge to dig more iffy targets after a half hour and end up digging more junk then normal. Got allot of bottle caps. One crushed can completely fooled me as a quarter signal. Hit a few chunks of cast iron too.
If 4 to 7 is too bothersome, I jump up the Discrim to 23. I would swear if I set the sensitivity lower to 20 I do better in trashy areas. If I set the power to high like 60-80 I can get a sound from metal 8 to 12" away from my 5" coil. This is cool when scanning and walking fast in clean areas but not so cool in areas with trash every 5".
Yesterday I was scouting in an area that might turn out to be a one time deal so I was a bit shy about experimenting a new method. In an hour I just found a 1969 and a 1957 penny. Also saw holes from another MD hunter that got there before me. Not sure if he did any better because some of his holes also had a low signal so he dug it up and left the junk in the hole. He left a lot of dirt on the surface so he was what I call a slob hunter.
So the Sunday hunt was just an exploration day. Not much to write home about. 4 pennies an a nickel.
I am going to try the one tone again in a park I am familiar with when I won't feel so rushed.

i like to keep the disc at 11 when running mono tones most nails will read at 8 to 10 and i have had deeper nickels read as low as 13 also when you get used to running 1f tone you can tell good targets from bad targets by the pitch of the tone most of the time i have also noticed that most iron falsing on larger items will read in the mid to hi 90s hh

One thing i will say is this F70 is an amazing detector! It just finds things, good things.. All the time.. So much so that i sold my heavy etrac and ordered the new F75LTD2... Or whatever its called.. LOL its alot like the mxt and its easy for me to understand what its saying, but lighter and better balanced :)... Hope the new F75 is as good or better..

WV62 said:
I have heard a lot in the past about running low disc like 4 or less, but so far I can't see the magic in that.
Ron in WV

I keep it low, usually at 4 or below for 2 reasons.
The first is you get a bit of a boost below 5 and over 20 on the sense.
Not exactly a boost per se, but programming on the T2/F70/F75 platforms makes it appear this way if only just a slight bit.
Two, I always rim all jumpy high tone signals in trashy parks with the coil and can tell when I am scanning pop tops because they usually drop to lower numbers and most of the time into iron.
Most of the time not as low as 4, but I got used to leaving it that low so I continue to do that.

Coin Rescue Inc said:
I would swear if I set the sensitivity lower to 20 I do better in trashy areas.

Even using the big coil if I lower my sense down to about 30 it has the effect of tightening up that scanning field into a laser-like scalpel.
I usually do that when hunting in heavy trash no matter what coil I am using.
I have plucked out many good targets from the trash this way.

This mono tone method seems to have almost the same effect on that coil without turning the sense down so much, but I did do that around a picnic pavilion and it made it even more precise.

basstrackerman said:
One thing i will say is this F70 is an amazing detector! It just finds things, good things.. All the time.. So much so that i sold my heavy etrac and ordered the new F75LTD2... Or whatever its called.. LOL its alot like the mxt and its easy for me to understand what its saying, but lighter and better balanced :)... Hope the new F75 is as good or better..

That thing sounds sweet.
A quiet F75 even on 99 sense with all those options and features.
Like I said...suh-weet!

This mono tone set up has made the F70 into a different beast totally as far as EMI and chatter for me, however.
Still have other sites to try it at, but once again this F70 and all its features has made me drop my jaw in what it can do and the shear combinations of settings available to try.
I have said it before...if I ever had an F75 to play with and all those extra features it would probably put me into overload because I love to tweak those settings so much and there are even more available on the flagship model.

One day this upgraded F75 will probably be in the cross hairs for me, but for now I have my hands full playing with the F70.
Please report back on how this baby really works after you play with it a bit.

REVIER said:
Two, I always rim all jumpy high tone signals in trashy parks with the coil and can tell when I am scanning pop tops because they usually drop to lower numbers and most of the time into iron.

Could you please explain what you mean by "rimming all jumpy high signals"? I don't understand what you mean by "rimming."

Thanks in advance, just looking for another tip to try out.

kt said:
REVIER said:

Could you please explain what you mean by "rimming all jumpy high signals"? I don't understand what you mean by "rimming."

Thanks in advance, just looking for another tip to try out.

AHH...this is probably the most important technique that has made hunting with DD coils a pleasure for me even in parks that are saturated with tons of high tone pop tops that can fool those DD coils so well.
This technique works with my Vaq and big DD coil too, but because it has no screen you have to manipulate the knob and that just takes too long for my taste so in pop top heavy parks I usually avoided using that coil if I could.

Here is a pic of the first hunt I ever had with the big DD coil mounted on my Vaquero at an extremely trashy old park when I lived in Birmingham.
Wish I knew then what I know now about using DD coils.

This is a simple method that will let you know you are scanning pop tops of all kinds about 95% of the time...maybe a little more than that.
Not all of this hated trash will act in this manner, but most of them will and that is good enough for me.
I dug hundreds of these stupid things while learning this technique and gaining the confidence that I have now so I can quickly identify them and move on so I can dig more of the better targets I come across.
I still dig a few just to be sure from time to time, it is always a pop top when they act this way, but nowadays the "what ifs" never bother me anymore if I leave them in the dirt.
Keep in mind you never ever know what you are scanning till you dig it...ever, but if you know ways to confidently avoid digging trash it can only help in both your mindset and your good target totals.

I have told a few others that never heard about this technique and were having a difficult time in trashy sites and to this day they still thank me because it works so well on all DD coils and all detectors that I know of.

When you scan a pop top with a DD coil you will usually get a high tone and numbers up into the coin area like a dime or a quarter.
There are different types, older, new, crushed flat, rusty, steel and aluminum so they will cover a range...but most of them will be high.
One clue is that unlike coins these things are usually a little jumpy and unlike a coin, especially a shallow one, will not be all that stable and in the case of my Fishers will usually jump in the numbers more than 2 or 3 but some of them won't and might be coin-like and stable.
Another clue is if you turn and hit them from a 90 degree angle you might see high numbers but different numbers than you see from that first direction.
Most coins do not act this way so 2 good things to know.
The clincher is that when I come across one of these high tone dime or quarter signals the first thing I do is I try to picture the area it is sitting in the dirt and get the front rim of the coil a little past that area and then using quick side to side swipes but keeping that target near the center of the coil I slowly pull that coil back and watch the numbers and listen to the tones.
When you get the rim of the coil over a suspected pop top area you should see a drop in the numbers just about every time.
In the case of my Fishers it might drop from the 70's numbers of a dime or the 80's numbers like a quarter, ( and I have seen plenty of silver dollar signals in the 90's on some of the older, steel fat and rusty ones, also), drop down to lower numbers like tabs in the 40's or foil in the 20's...but more often than not they will drop all the way to 7-11 or so in iron so that is why I leave iron in most of the time so I will notice this at trashy park sites.
Where it drops is not all that important, the fact that it drops at all, is.
I have never seen a coin or any other good target like silver rings do this, but I have seen this same behavior in many tabs, however.
This is not quite as certain in those tabs so I am not recommending this technique for that, this is just something I noticed from time to time.
In the pop top area this is a godsend as far as I am concerned, and even though not all pop tops react this way most of them do and usually from any direction you hit them from and it is a fast way to avoid them and just move on.

Be aware you still have to be on your toes at all times out there.
Once I was in a park and got this same behavior, a classic pop top signal where I had the high tone and pulled back the coil and got that drop to iron, but in this case something was different.
The high tone sounded too good, too clear, too sharp and different than the more false sound of a pop top to me so I dug the high tone signal and it turned out to be a wheaty that was about 2" north of a true pop top.
This is why it is always said to learn your detector well and I know the sounds that come out of mine good enough to suspect something was different even though the behavior was classic.

As I said it works on just about every detector and even on my Tesoros but because I have to manipulate that disc knob to see this reaction it just takes too long for an impatient guy like me.
Using my Fishers and that screen it is instantaneous, accurate and efficient.
Try it and see.

Pretty good thread, so far we have single tone, low sensitivity in the trash, and rimming.

All good stuff,

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
Pretty good thread, so far we have single tone, low sensitivity in the trash, and rimming.

All good stuff,

Ron in WV

I know.

The only thing that seems to be missing is...donuts!