Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tried the Detech 15" Spiral out today

cookie58

I got a chance to try this coil out today. First, it is heavy. I use the pro-swing harness with it and not too bad. However, I didn't look that long. Seemed to like the iron pretty good. I did notice this. A good solid low tone one direction then turn 90degrees, and get a crazy tone( I think I'm right) like maybe a high-high-warble or a high-high-low. This was almost always rusty iron. Let me know if this has happened to you. I'm talking real good tone like a Minnie ball then 90degrees and high-high-warble or high-high-low.....Thanks...

Yes that is iron. I use it at DIV for three days and it is heavy but very deep. It is a solid coil just a little heavy for me.

Yep, sounds like iron. I use a harness with mine and it's still a back breaker after awhile, but you will find relics. I've heard the 12.5" is almost as deep but much lighter.

Yes, I can match the Spiral 15" depths with my 12.5 DD Detech as the 12.5 can be run with hotter settings without falsing......and the 12.5 is about 30% lighter.
It is my "Goldilocks" coil....

Tony

Yes if it flutters it's iron most if the time.

cookie58 said:
Thanks Tim and everyone else. What about the factory 11" dd. Does it flutter also.
yes they both do. It's usually one way though. One way will sound great the other direction will flutter coming off the target. Sometimes it's very subtle. If you go over the flutter it'll almost be like another target right next to the good signal but it's not. It's the same target.

Also try pumping the coil up and down over a target and iron will start breaking up. For some reason I get a little break up when doing this on lead round balls but there's a subtle difference.

soky72 said:
Also try pumping the coil up and down over a target and iron will start breaking up. For some reason I get a little break up when doing this on lead round balls but there's a subtle difference.

I quote from the GPX Instruction Manual:

Caution! Do not attempt to discriminate by raising and lowering the coil on a deep or partially dug target. An accurate discrimination requires an even side-to-side coil motion. It is recommended to dig all targets that do not give an obvious rejection.

Tony said:
Yes, I can match the Spiral 15" depths with my 12.5 DD Detech as the 12.5 can be run with hotter settings without falsing......and the 12.5 is about 30% lighter.
It is my "Goldilocks" coil....

Tony

Just wanted to add,
That was probably me.......but I hunt for very long periods of time.....10 hours of gold prospecting in a day can be quite taxing.
I do run the Pro-Swing but for me some of the problem was the lateral force of the Spiral 15" coil. It does build up a bit of inertia when swinging and some force is needed to stop the swing when changing directions. I didn't have a problem when hunting for short periods of time. My 12.5 DD Closed coil matches the performance of the 15" as the 12.5 can be set hotter, especailly in mineralised ground. I have been informed by my dealer that this is due to the different style of coil windings (Spiral v Flat). I also needed the reduction in weight that the 12.5 gave me so that it is easier to sweep the coil up and down creek walls. So for shorter hunts and maybe across flatter terrain then the Spiral is probably perfect.

Tony

filternozzle said:

Caution! Do not attempt to discriminate by raising and lowering the coil on a deep or partially dug target. An accurate discrimination requires an even side-to-side coil motion. It is recommended to dig all targets that do not give an obvious rejection.

Caution????? LOL, what's it going to do explode??? I don't care what the manual says pumping the coil works on iron. Does anything work 100% of the time, nope but it works most of the time for me. Like I said I have had some overload on shallow round balls but the sweet sound was just to good and your ears will get trained to hear the difference.

soky72 said:

Caution????? LOL, what's it going to do explode??? I don't care what the manual says pumping the coil works on iron. Does anything work 100% of the time, nope but it works most of the time for me. Like I said I have had some overload on shallow round balls but the sweet sound was just to good and your ears will get trained to hear the difference.

No, it wont explode - but you will over time miss out on good targets but the choice is yours.

No, it wont explode - but you will over time miss out on good targets but the choice is yours.[/quote]

OR you can dig a 100 nails and miss opportunities to dig good targets. The choice is yours, happy hunting.

Soky72 - I think you are missing the point. It is well established that: 'An accurate discrimination requires an even side-to-side coil motion'.
This is stated in the manual and those of us who have been using the GPX regularly for a number of years can confirm that.
One of the functions of this forum is to help one another get the best from our machines.

The information I posted is from the GPX User Manual and in addition it is backed up from my experience of using the GPX since February 2012. The advice is given freely you don't have to follow it, the choice is yours. But, we all have a duty of care in what we put into our posts as it can and does have an influence on others who are using the same or similar detectors.

Filternozzle - I'm not missing the point at all! I use the side to side motion like everyone else but I also incorporate the pumping method as extra precaution to avoid digging nails and it works! I have a Civil War camp on my property with a variety of lead, brass, pewter, copper, silver, and iron and I've tested my approach many times with great success. I like you am providing another method, which I learned online, that new users can test out themselves. Your the one who discouraged the technique. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T TRY IT!

soky72 said:
Filternozzle - I'm not missing the point at all! I use the side to side motion like everyone else but I also incorporate the pumping method as extra precaution to avoid digging nails and it works! I have a Civil War camp on my property with a variety of lead, brass, pewter, copper, silver, and iron and I've tested my approach many times with great success. I like you am providing another method, which I learned online, that new users can test out themselves. Your the one who discouraged the technique. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T TRY IT!

Like a lot of old hands with the GPX, I have tried it many, many moons ago. Using that method will result in good targets being missed. I will not say anything more on the subject.