Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trouble pinpointing with 10 DD coil.

nalc472

Group,

Where is the coin on the loop. Is it in the center or right below the center. I am thiinking of buying the 950 coil because I am used to it. I am digging too big of holes looking for objects. Thanks in advance. Used my 4x6 coil yesturday. Really liked it.

Pinpoint position is right in front of where the stem connects to the coil but if coin is laying at an angle in the soil it will be off to one side. It is better to + the target area to get a more accurate idea of the coins position assuming your all metal setting for pinpointing is not set too high !!

Put a coin under a sheet of card board to find the spot on your coil.

Then there is the crisscross method. Find the best signal left and right then turn 90 degrees and do it again.

Some people move the coil left and right the get the best signal. Then put the coil back toward themself, when the signal drops the coil is under the front edge of the coil.

No matter how I pinpoint I always find the coin 2" right of center where it pinpoints. I have learned to compensate for that and when i dig i just dig 2" off center and 90% of the time the coin is dead center in my plug. Every now and then i get what I call a ghost signal and will pin point and no matter how deep I go or how big I make the plug nothing is there. I chalk it off to being a very small BB or something similar maybe even an ear ring I miss with my pro pointer.

Do you have the VCO turned on, if so, there is no mistaking when you are right on top of the target and unless there is something wrong with the coil, it should be right in the center of the coil. Easy to see for yourself if you don't use anything to cover up the coin. Drop a coin on the ground (clean area) and pinpoint with the VCO on, hold the coil a couple of inches above the ground. :beers:

BTW, the toe method works OK unless the target is deep and then the target will be more under the coil due to the curvature of the search pattern. I like the centering method and the target will almost always be right in the center.