Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Troy Detectors

j piddle

Do not see much info. on any of the Troy detectors. Does anyone have any experience with the X3 or X5?

Has the company been around long or are they fairly new?

Any and all info will be appreciated.
Thanks

Troy detectors were built by Tesoro (X2) and Fisher (X3 & X5). Troy had them built to his specs, rebranded and sold as Troy Detectors. Troy has a large following as the detectors were top performers in their class.

The troy bunch needs to get back together.That is all i hear about is how awesome they were.A real cult classic.Tesoro has old Fisher genes.Old bounty hunter has Tesoro genes,Troy & Tesoro,Now First Texas & Tesoro.All related somehow.Thirty years ago it was just a small circle building detectors. :-D

To me, theya re a legend... I wish they got back together and customized/tweaked some of the new detectors out now... THAT would be amazing!

Hi i piddle, and my,my, how times does fly! All the guys done pretty much filled you in on the Troys' and I will only add that I, and a bunch of other folks, love our Troys dearly, and many of them are still in the dirt and getting the job done ! I still have my X2 and gave my son my X5 a couple of years ago. Most those that have'm, keep'um, and are quietly diggin and a grinnin, so you won't see or hear a lot about the Troys. Some really fun ole days back when forums were full of verbal battles/shootouts over the Tejon and the X5. LOL, it was a real "hoot", and I am sure to still take place when some particular folks get together.LOL, I miss those days so,, lol, I could almost shed a tear! HH Charlie

Dave Johnson was the main guy behind the Troy X5 so now you could say the T2 and F75 represent the next step in that evolutionary line.

Troys main problem was in having Tesoro and Fisher build his units put too many fingers in the pie, driving the retail too high. I honestly thought he would have done better not setting up dealers but doing the Dell model and selling direct to public.

[attachment 261051 MyTroyShadowX2.pic3211x158.jpg]Here's looking at you babe !

I bought a Troy X5 back in 2007 also bought the 10x6 and 7inch coil over here in the UK and i used it for a year out most weekends so its not as if i did not try to master it but it had to go in my mind it was the worst machine that i have ever owned,the build quality was certainly the best but it just loved iron and even after 100s of hours i took the decision to cut and run and as luck would have it i only lost a paltry amount of money so i was happy with such a result.

I only had it up on a forum for less than 24hours and someone came and looked at it and payed cash for the whole setup,a day later i then bought my next detector the DFX and as they say the rest is history,its not as if i was a novice but i had many years under my belt but the Troy certainly was not my best machine.

They were good detectors but they were'nt great.....certainly no better than any other top machine.We had a make over here called red heat that attained legendary status but again they were good machines but no better than any other top detector.It's amazing why certain detectors attain this cult status and when you try them you wonder what all the fuss was about.

@Nauti Neil,i totally agree with you,the Red Heat was a very light machine i met Vic Fiveash a few times but he passed away about 3 years back that is when that range of detectors came to a end as no one would carry on making them or even service them,once again they had become another cult detector but nothing special i think the US market was the biggest area of sales but once again not for me i am afraid.

I will stick with my T2 and DFX and Pulse as my main detectors that i shoot from the hip these days.

I have a X2 that I still get out when I check out a new detecting area. Excellent little detector, so light you can swing it for hours.

call me crazy I have the X2 with the two coils ,and i 'm thinking grabbing a X3 next YEEHAW!

This may be a very old thread but after owning the Troy X5 and was not as pleased with it as i thought i should be i have bought a mint condition X3 with the 7'' concentric and the 10x6 coil,the coil that i am really looking for is the small 5'' as i feel that could be a great combination in a big area permission that i have but it also has under growth as well,so will be looking at getting the small coil that is if i can locate one.

Prehaps i should have bought the X3 in the 1st place,but it was a detector that was just shouting buy me,so i did :thumbup:

Without a doubt the X5 is more of a relic and coin detector while the X3 is more of a competition machine as it can reset itself so much faster and works great at the competition hunts. Now the X5 for me and others seem to go deeper and seems to ID better in trash, but like I say that is me and others I know. I made the mistake of trading my X-5 away I did so well with and sold my X3 as it just sat while I use one of my other detectors.

Rick