Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Troy Shadow X5

Neil

Does anyone know if these work in the desert like Nevada or Arizona? Ive never hunted that kind of soil. Hopefully heading out that way next year. Thank you

it should work ok (y)

Ok thank you. I didnt know if I should sell the X5 and get something like a Goldmonster or Gold Bug 2. From the videos Ive seen it seems like all the gold detectors hit hot rocks hard like my X5 does(detectors under $1,000.)so I dont see much advantage as the X5 hits small gold really well. Thank you.
Anyone else who wants to chime in please do, this is going to be my first shot at gold nugget hunting so any help is appreciated.

Ok thank you. I didnt know if I should sell the X5 and get something like a Goldmonster or Gold Bug 2. From the videos Ive seen it seems like all the gold detectors hit hot rocks hard like my X5 does(detectors under $1,000.)so I dont see much advantage as the X5 hits small gold really well. Thank you.
Anyone else who wants to chime in please do, this is going to be my first shot at gold nugget hunting so any help is appreciated.
Hey there Neil,
My thoughts are if your getting into gold hunting, it would be in your Best interest
to get yourself a Dedicated Gold machine. Yes the Troy X5 can find gold items but
not as efficient as a dedicated Gold Detector!!! JMHO
silverseeker2

Thank you sir. Any detector suggestions I might read up on?

i would go with a minelab gold monster then you can also do the monster mash :cool:
it finds the gold if its there (y)

Sell it and get a gold detector if your going to do it, don't go half-cocked.
Fisher Gold bug 2, Minelab Gold Monster,and if you are really serious
The Minelab GPZ or GPX 5000, 4500
Here's one that a lot of people don't know about but it work very very well
Nokta AU Goldfinder 600-700 usd

Last edited:
Don't forget there is other stuff like coins, rings, jewelry, relics the X5 with the manual GB is a great detector for this and its always good to have
a back up and take a break from digging up iron in gold bearing areas.

Don't forget there is other stuff like coins, rings, jewelry, relics the X5 with the manual GB is a great detector for this and its always good to have
a back up and take a break from digging up iron in gold bearing areas.
Your right but I have another detector for that. I had two X5s, the one I used alot sold already, I just put my other one up for sale.
Im going to be heading out west in a small RV so space is critical.....would love to take more detectors but it looks like Im only gonna have room for two.

Does anyone know if these work in the desert like Nevada or Arizona? Ive never hunted that kind of soil. Hopefully heading out that way next year. Thank you
Neil get a nugget machine. The mineralization in AZ gold bearing areas is intense. Be careful, the desert is very unforgiving.

For what it’s worth, the Minelab Gold Monster is simple to use. Gold Kruzer, little over $500 , water proof, cordless heads phones and comes with 2 coils like the GM. GM runs at 45 kHz, Gold Kruzer a little higher at 61 kHz. Both very sensitive to small gold (and foil) pin head size and smaller. Otherwise step it up around $900 and pick up a Nox800 multi frequency with prospecting modes running 20&40 kHz.

To answer your question I had one years ago and yes it will find gold in AZ--.Would it be my first choice for nugget hunting ? No-but it is capable-:cool: