Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Trying to figure this out

JC99328

Doing some test runs in a very trashy park.

I got a 16/42, both ways. Turned out to be a dime. Seemed like odd numbers to me.

Running basic factory program with the sound level turned way down.

so many things could get that reading like that...
i have dug dimes that were late 30s all the way up to 46
rust or mineralization in the ground....coin standing on edge....other minute items in the adjacent soil you do not see....

Good advice from sunraysux. You'll usually find a rusty nail, another coin or some other object in the hole to be the cause of lowering the conductive number.

When your FE number is higher than expected and CO is lower than usual....just as stated,probably some very tiny offending item that wasn't noticed or something Ferrous that had already rotted into a pile of iron oxide. When you dug the dime all the oxide just filtered away into the dirt and may not even be detectable anymore. I'm learning to dig stuff that is close...exactly because of what you just ran into. Excellent subject...and a VERY common occurrence. You'll like dig more clad,but at the same time find more of the silvers others passed up because they weren't "silver" numbers.

.......interesting that you use the phrase "SILVER numbers"
just by way of learners info to JC, i have had my Etrac for 4.5 months
and literally am just now becoming intimate with it...actually learning to use it properly
although in that short time...and being a total dunce as to the machine's capabilities...i have found 45 silvers
and lots and lots of stuff i never found before....so on balance i am happy with it
and am sanguine about the future because i am just now starting to "get it"
but of all those silvers, i can say that i had my suspicions on some of them before i dug them
because of depth!!.....not numbers
because of sound!!...not numbers
JC....the numbers will confuse you no end!!
just last night in a great old historic park, i dug an INDIAN at 32 conductive...a clad dime at 38 conductive
and a clad quarter at 42!!!.........and each time those coins popped out, i shook my head like..."wow, that wasn't what i was expecting!!"
so what IDX just said is absolutely the case........deteriorated iron items near a target....small brads/nails in a nearby clump of soil...a few scraps of foil wadded and unseen....there are myriad reasons why the numbers will be skewed
but the sounds usually will lead you to the promised land

I was in a permission yesterday. Super dry hard clay. It was sunny and I had the factory cover on to keep the dust off. 90% of the time I couldn't even see screen.
I went on sound and dug 13 zi and a clad dime. 3rd time over basically the same ground.

I just bought my E-Trac just a week ago, so I am still at that staring at it while scratching my head, stage. I trust my ears more than the screen, but everything heard and seen goes into the learning process. Besides having fun, my goal is to learn one new thing every day. I should be pretty smart in about a hundred years.
Thanks for all the great advice. I am enjoying finding out what works for me.