Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Twisting Loose Lower Rod FIXED!

Charles,

Thanks for the reply. I am getting older but still use the XS with the WOT and hang a couple of cinder blocks from it just for the challenge.

I'm watching a DVD of the "Detectorists" as I type. Have you seen?

My main question is if you've found many more targets in iron infested areas that you've beat with the XS and other detectors?

Chris

sgoss66 said:
Any water hunter will tell you that twist cams are a problem waiting to happen. Usually they seize up. Minelab has been in the business well long enough to know it too. The design and implementation is flawed. Especially going to the one button clip. Let Minelab off the hook if you want to. Me? I sawed the twist cams off. Replaced with better ones. 24 bucks. Problem solved. Of course I am quite good at doing it. I have been doing it with Sovereign shafts for over a decade at least. Yeah Minelab knows. But so does any manufacturer that uses them.

goodmore,

I totally agree with you. In "digging into" the problems with the stock shaft design, I concluded pretty quickly that the twist-lock cams are a big part of the issue, and thus I am working on designing a much better cam-lock option, for making Equinox shafts. Working with the carbon-fiber company I deal with, when I first approached them about needing a clamping system for telescoping carbon-fiber tubes, their first suggestion was a twist-lock cam system, and spring clips -- in other words, the same design as Minelab's EQX shafts. I told them "no way," and began working with them on a custom design. What I can't understand is this -- why would Minelab go the "twist-cam" route? How much more could it possibly have cost, to utilize a much more robust cam system -- even if it were something similar to the CTX design? Ten bucks per machine?

In any case, I agree with you -- if you or I can figure out that twist-cams are insufficient/inadequate, ESPECIALLY on a machine with solid beach-hunting capability, then CERTAINLY Minelab knows, too...which begs the question...WHY?

Steve
Deus got it right! with their design!

Charles, did it hold well?

My machine twisted this past weekend while I was beach hunting so now I have the problem.

I looked inside the shaft and the part that it pressed against the shaft to lock it is PLASTIC. That is crazy because it loses it's grip after it wears a little, plastic can not hold the shaft.

Your death grip with nylon bolt looks great. Did you make those or purchase them?

Tony

PS: if there are any other fixes know out there please send me a PM

I also noticed that the CAM doesn't fit tight around the shaft by just a little bit.
Crazy how they got those interlocking parts made from different sizes.

Back in the late 60' and early 70's we use to call it a Foreign part because they were just a little bit off from US parts, ie; screws and bolts were close but not standard and didn't fit snug.

Oh well, until I fix this I'll have to carry DUCT tape....ha ha ha.

Tony

if you don't want to do that, just be sure after each beach hunt, take apart your shaft and wash well with clean water, not salt water. Had an AT Pro twist lock freeze up after 3 days beach/surf hunting and not cleaning it for a year. Had to use dremel tool to cut it off per Garrett customer support suggestion and then sent me a new twist lock for free.

BigTony said:
Charles, did it hold well?

My machine twisted this past weekend while I was beach hunting so now I have the problem.

I looked inside the shaft and the part that it pressed against the shaft to lock it is PLASTIC. That is crazy because it loses it's grip after it wears a little, plastic can not hold the shaft.

Your death grip with nylon bolt looks great. Did you make those or purchase them?

Tony

PS: if there are any other fixes know out there please send me a PM

Solid as a rock Tony.

BigTony said:
I also noticed that the CAM doesn't fit tight around the shaft by just a little bit.
Crazy how they got those interlocking parts made from different sizes.

Back in the late 60' and early 70's we use to call it a Foreign part because they were just a little bit off from US parts, ie; screws and bolts were close but not standard and didn't fit snug.

Oh well, until I fix this I'll have to carry DUCT tape....ha ha ha.

Tony

The difference between sloppy floppy and rock solid is .007 of an inch.