Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two POUNDS of Fishing weights

LawrencetheMDer

It isn’t unusual for me to find a few fishing weights (I use to call them “sinkers”) while metal detecting. In fact, I know that gold is nearby if I’m digging fishing weights. But 2 pounds worth? This is along with a pocket full of change, a few junk rings, cremation tag, set of keys and a 925 silver elephant ear ring, but no gold. This is after a 6 hr hunt split between surf and wet sand. Waking up at 5.30am, I aimed to hit the surf at low tide and found a small trench, about 1-1 ½ ft deeper than the surround and the targets were all lined up at the bottom of the trench, for the most part, and I swear everything was 12-24” deep! At least that is how I felt after digging the targets up. I’m talking multiple and up to 6-7 scoops down with my 9 ½” T-Rex. I was just trying out another NOX 800 (I just drowned my second one) and zeroing it in. I’m amazed how different each 800 is and my third one is hitting targets especially HARD and DEEP. I continued digging a target every few minutes until the tide rose high enough to cause 2 footers to reach over the sand bar and start smashing fully into me and I was done...at least in the surf. The next morning I could barely walk. But I sure had a lot of fun digging all those targets compared to my neighborhood “quiet-as-a-mouse” beach where it is soooo over hunted that the holes have holes.
20220204_193129.jpg

Happy Hunting
20220204_193138.jpg

It isn’t unusual for me to find a few fishing weights (I use to call them “sinkers”) while metal detecting. In fact, I know that gold is nearby if I’m digging fishing weights. But 2 pounds worth? This is along with a pocket full of change, a few junk rings, cremation tag, set of keys and a 925 silver elephant ear ring, but no gold. This is after a 6 hr hunt split between surf and wet sand. Waking up at 5.30am, I aimed to hit the surf at low tide and found a small trench, about 1-1 ½ ft deeper than the surround and the targets were all lined up at the bottom of the trench, for the most part, and I swear everything was 12-24” deep! At least that is how I felt after digging the targets up. I’m talking multiple and up to 6-7 scoops down with my 9 ½” T-Rex. I was just trying out another NOX 800 (I just drowned my second one) and zeroing it in. I’m amazed how different each 800 is and my third one is hitting targets especially HARD and DEEP. I continued digging a target every few minutes until the tide rose high enough to cause 2 footers to reach over the sand bar and start smashing fully into me and I was done...at least in the surf. The next morning I could barely walk. But I sure had a lot of fun digging all those targets compared to my neighborhood “quiet-as-a-mouse” beach where it is soooo over hunted that the holes have holes.
View attachment 23004

Happy HuntingView attachment 23005
Still
Nice diggins.
I'm still knee deep in snow. 🙁

View attachment 23004

View attachment 23004

You seem to be finding fishing weights the same as me, the other day I went down to one of my usual beaches and found a very dense area of sand that was very hard to dig but all I found was 28 fishing weights. two days later I went back to find the Gold but again all I found was another 12 weights. The most fishing weights i have found in one day was 106 with 36 coming out of one hole. A couple of months ago I took 50kg to the scrap yard and was paid £55 a lot of money

I like digging lead too( civil war lead). All jokes aside that was a good hunt. Any time you can get out of the house and do some detecting it’s a good day. Three hours detecting to me feels like 30 minutes to me. Congratulations.

Nice looks like my beach finds my bag gets weighted down! lol..
Mark

You seem to be finding fishing weights the same as me, the other day I went down to one of my usual beaches and found a very dense area of sand that was very hard to dig but all I found was 28 fishing weights. two days later I went back to find the Gold but again all I found was another 12 weights. The most fishing weights i have found in one day was 106 with 36 coming out of one hole. A couple of months ago I took 50kg to the scrap yard and was paid £55 a lot of money
Just thought I would add a photo of one days finds on a small section of beach about 25 yards square!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0918 (2).JPG
    DSCF0918 (2).JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 93
I’m saving all my lead to some day cast or swage pellets for my pellet gun. I thought about casting some diving weights but I’m all set with my rubber coated ones.