Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two SUPER SIZE colonial bttons and an odd halmarked piece .

Ground_Hog_MD

found the two super sized buttons with a piece of 18th century British slip-ware and an odd
looking square piece, the piece is hallmarked or stamped on both sides with a makers mark, and
five flower or fancy divots almost in a domino shape, but it does not appear to be broken as if half a metal domino..
maybe an old game piece or dice type item with 5 dots. any clues ...
( last photo top item is a common penny for size comparison of buttons )

all items dug within a foot of each other, approx 8 inches NE FL

sorry to post again to this, but i just realized, that the odd item my wife dug up last week that looks like a charm or zipper pull.
has the same 5 divots or markings as the odd square item i dug up, approx 50 yards from one another.
i am digging in St Augustine FL on private land, which saw heavy fighting from the colonial periods on up. could the numbering be an infantry ID
as it seems to have some kind of meaning to whoever was here.

I am thinking the square item might be an 18th century coin, apothecary, or bullion weight. It looks like it has a lion counter stamp and 5 annulets/rings stamped into it. The 5 annulets should represent 5 pennyweight. Get an exact weight in grams. If it weighs 7.77 grams or very close to that then you probably have an old 5 pennyweight bullion weight.

Here is a link that shows several similar weights. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. The very bottom and the 4th row up have very similar items. http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/C/coinweights.htm

The clenched fist pendent may be related to the square item or it could just be a coincidence. Who knows, maybe the pendent was a treasury symbol worn by an official or merchant that carried the weight.

All the shown pieces are very nice finds, congrats.

I think Flinthunter nailed it.
That's a very cool find!!

Congrats

HH

HOLEY SHIPWRECKS are you kidding me, im firing up the detector , be back later ... wow ... TY

HuntinDog said:
I think Flinthunter nailed it.
That's a very cool find!!

Congrats

HH

I think like him. The sixth brand, which is asymmetric with the other five, seems a contrast weight control. I even think I see a form of animal ... I'm not sure.
Beautiful and important findings.

I am deep in the woods in north St Augustine. i believe i am following part of the old original Dixie highway.
as i have found a red brick road 6 inches under the dirt. as well as coquina brick foundations and broken down walls. under the leaves.
the old Dixie highway was known to run right past where i live. i actually have to drive down part of it to get to my home.
but this is much deeper in the woods. . i am hunting a wooded area on the river bank. i may be following a road to an old business
on the river bank from the 1500`s - 1600`s due to finding the Apothecary which is used to weigh against coinage and also a silver and brass thimble
the way i figure, whoever was out there had items for weighing their gold and silver coins and dropped it . :) ... hopefully a few of the coins followed.
but as we know. many people back then did not trust their money to banks, and kept it buried or hid. hopefully one of these days, i`ll get the beep we all dream of.