Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:twodetecting:How to build a better coin garden.....long post

Hombre

OK Folks,

I've been asked by several people to explain how I did my coin garden, since I have the time and I like to share.........here it goes.

First, you have to be in an area where the soil is clay based and compacted well, sandy soil will not work well. I live in the wheat capitol of the world and we have great soil. Next the area should be metal free, do this with your metal detector in all-metal mode and clean it out, I did not do this important step and lost one of my nickels as I will explain later. Then, wait until the ground is saturated with moisture well below where you intend to bury your targets, coins and/or co-located trash targets. You can let mother nature take care of the moisture or use a soaker-hose.

For all you gardeners and farmers out there, this goes without saying, you can't work the ground until you can take a sharp-shooter/spade/shovel and Dig Without Mud sticking to your sharp-shooter/shovel. Wait for the soil to have the right amount of moisture so you can 'work' the ground and have nice clean 'intact' plugs come out of the ground. Sandy or loamy type soil will not work as well as clay type soil as the plug will not hang together......and this is the most important step. I used a sharp-shooter to dig my plugs, I took care to make a nice square, four sided, deep plugs. After you have cut the four sides of the plug to the depth you want, take extra care in removing the plug to be sure that it comes out of the hole intact with no crumbling or lost soil material. If the plug crumbles and falls apart, then the ground is too dry or the soil is not made of the right composition for clean plugging.

I then took some of my dug coins and one gold ring and started the planting. I already knew where I wanted the garden to go as far as location and I did it in a straight line going toward a landmark on my property. I started the garden with the man's gold ring buried at 5 inches, then about a step further a buffalo nickel at 5 inches, a step further another buffalo nickel, (this one being masked by iron) then several silver dimes starting at 5 inches while going further along the garden path they go to about 8 inches in depth. Then I started planting silver quarters at 6 inches going along the path to about 10 inches deep. Half dollars were next starting at 10 inches to abourt 12 inches then ending up with two silver dollars at 12 inches to just over 14 inches.

I would dig a deep plug each time and then lay the coin/target flat in the bottom of the hole and tamp it in, then carefully replace the plug in the same orientation as it came out of the ground, the soil matrix of the plug needs to be in the same direction as it came out... for the layers of naturally mineralized soil to be in relationship with the soil it just came out of. This part of the plugging and replacing the plug is the most important part of this garden, getting it as close to a "naturally buried target" in the ground as possible.

As far as needing a 'halo' to accentuate the signal of a detector, I just don't believe in it and my test garden proves my point. For just as soon as I planted it, I was getting good signals from 5 inches on small low conductors such as the gold ring and nickel (I lost one next to iron) to the deeply buried dimes to the ultra deep silver dollars. I think that undisturbed dirt matrix with a 'medium' moisture content improves target response to the eddy currents generated by the search coil, nothing more. I cannot emphisize this point enough,...... make sure that the plug comes out of the ground intact and not crumbling, plant the coin facing flat and tamp it in, and get the plug replaced exactly as it came out the ground, then stomp the plug down, water as needed. This has worked for me, and it will for you too, if I was a golfer, this would be my putting green.

Thanks for info. I need to get around to doing a coin garden for myself.

Do you place the coins heads up or tails up? :lol:

tabman

Thanks for taking the time for the nice coin garden post Randy.

That is a lot of good information Hombre, thanks.

I might add that good ole black dirt works just as good as clay and I have to agree that most sandy soils (not black sand) would not be worth the time to plant a test garden since similar results can be obtained with air testing due to the lack of mineralization.

I might also add that Halos do exist but only under certain conditions where one has the mineralization and moisture to promote natural electrolysis between two dissimilar metals. (target and iron mineralization) I certainly understand the doubters on the theory if they do not have the right conditions, but in iron rich mineralized black dirt with high moisture, halos are quite common.

Randy,
Thanks for the input on the garden!

Most of my yard soil is red and sandy. Very thin top soil. The few rocks are red sandstone. The well water has very high iron content. It is typical of the area I'm in. I forget what the Fe3O4 reads. I'll have to take out the F75 and get some readings around the yard to refresh my memory. LOTS of nails and little trimmings of aluminum siding. This place had sheds all over the yard. I built a garage and took some sheds down. Now could use an expanded garage to take the remaining sheds down.

I may dig out an area. If I do I'll need to sift it and run magnets for nails and then use a detector to make sure the little aluminum bits are out. Then fill it back in and let it settle. Then dig plugs to plant targets.

Might be worth while placing some coins on edge as a comparison to coins laying flat.

Thanks for this thread!
tvr

-- moved topic --

Any reason you can't dig a hole, measure your depth, then insert the target into the side of the hole, and fill it back in?