Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ultimate 13" coil vs pro coil and 10 x 12 SEF coil... short and directly to the POINT...and something I want you ALL to know:thumbup:

Hotcz70

1) The Ultimate coil IS lighter than the 10 x 12 SEF coil and at least "feels" as light as the pro coil...and I can hunt at least TWICE as long because of it.

2) The Ultimate coil separates extremely well for a coil of it's size....but not as well as the SEF or pro coil.

3) The Ultimate coil is just as deep if not slightly deeper than both the pro coil and SEF coil here in IL.

4) The Ultimate coil bangs louder than any other coil over deep coins...even slightly louder than the SEF coil...which is something I thought I would never say because the SEF hit the hardest for me up to this point.

5) The Ultimate coil handles iron extremely well. So much so that I had to change my style of hunting when using it!!

6) The Ultimate coil WILL signal over deep silver when the detector is nulling.

Now here is the most IMPORTANT trait I noticed about this coil that completely changed how I hunted while using this coil....

Please click on this link and read it carefully BEFORE reading what I type after it.:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?19,1642710,1645373#msg-1645373

Now IF you read the link...what I type next will make sense so please continue reading....

With the Ultimate coil....FORGET what you just read about how I hunt in the iron... AND what I listen for...AND what is the final decision maker on whether or not I dig...because it all goes out the window with this coil.

With the Ultimate coil I used my personal proven method of finding coins hiding in iron...and dug 57 pieces, bits, chunks. nails, etc...in a row!!

With this coil...IF it was a coin...the "dig me warble sound" needed to repeat in at least 3 out of 4 angles as I circled the target....and in MOST CASES it needed to repeat with a consistent manner on 4 out of 4 angles as I circled the undug target....SERIOUSLY!

In other words...everything I have personally taught myself...spent a gazillion hours practicing and familiarizing myself with as to what to listen for and as to what I use to find coins hiding in iron....does NOT work for me using the Ultimate coil.

This is NOT a bad thing...and in fact might HELP a some people do better in iron.

My personal findings with this coil....IF it is a coin under the coil....that signal WILL repeat from at least 3 of 4 angles as you circle the hole.

Time to head to work...actually need to be there in 10 minutes....YIKES!

I will probably edit and add more to this post as time allows me...but I wanted to get some info up for everyone who has been wanting to know.

I apologize for not getting the post up sooner...but I am the busiest I have been my entire life with work personal training at the gym.

Thanks for the update, Bryce! And sorry I suggested that maybe Bryce has been busy testing the new Minelab machine. Hope you didn't get a bunch of PMs because of that. If you did I very much apologize for asking that question in the forum. Just thought it was curious you were taking so long to give an update on that coil and was wondering if perhaps you were indeed testing the new machine or something. Again, I very much apologize if that caused you any trouble!

So it sounds like that coil is a winner. Not as good of seperation as the 12x10, but from your post you say it is at least as deep as the 12x10 and might be even deeper.

My main concern about it's better depth ability (if that turns out to be the case) is how mineralized is your soil? Reason I ask is because in my soil (which is moderate in some places and heavy in others in terms of mineralization)...I found the 15x12 didn't get as deep as the 12x10 or even the stock 10" coil on coins. Even though I was able to still ride a high sensitivity setting with the 15x12. I believe it's size was just taking in too much ground matrix and ended up washing out or degrading the coin signal compared to a smaller coil. So I have to wonder if your soil is mineralized at all, because it might very well be that while the 12x10 shows more depth for me than the stock 10" coil, I believe going any bigger than a 12" coil might be beyond the point of no return in terms of showing an increase in depth in my soil. In fact, because the 12x10 has such a sharp tight detection field in the left/right perspective compared to a conventional DD coil, and a far less "fuzzy" field all around in terms of slop from the detection field generated bleeding into and soaking up ground matrix...That the 12x10 actually rides on and "sees" LESS ground than even the stock 10" Tornado. That's why I think it will get more depth, can ride at higher sensitivity settings, and give better target IDs at depth than the stock 10" coil.

Thanks again for your input and look forward to your further conclusions as to if the 13" is indeed deeper than the 12x10. Again, please let us know how bad your soil is too in terms of mineralization!

I'm at work and really can't explain any further on the depth than I already have.

I am in IL amd don't have any clue as to how mineralized my ground is....but here the depth compared to the other 2 coils is as stated.

Sorry for cutting short...but I'm at work and honestly don't have anything else I can add anyway.

I do know I can run the sensitivity on the 10 x 12 at 26 and can only run it about 22 tops on the Ultimate.

Hmmmm...VERY interesting results in the iron bud. Lets give that coil a spin at the old cabin spot when you get time.

Bryce -- thanks very much for the post and info.

Funny thing is, your experience with digging "non four-way" hits with the Ultimate, which resulted in you digging 57 pieces of iron in a row, exactly mirrors MY experiences with the Pro coil (or the 6x8 SEF or the 5" SunRay, for that matter)! It's strange, but if I try digging a good-sounding warble that will only repeat in one or two directions (which can work out well, for you), IT'S IRON for me. Period! But, if -- like you learned to do with the Ultimate coil -- I run across a target that doesn't sound "silvery" from all directions, but it DOES sound "silvery" from at least one or two directions, and then is repeatable from all remaining directions, THAT is usually a good, non-iron target. I have proven to myself countless times, that if I drop my "criteria" to dig (vs. walk) down, to where I dig any high warble that repeats from only 1 or 2 directions (but nulls in the other directions), I start IMMEDIATELY filling my pouch with deep/rusty nails. :)

Anyway, like you say, I personally don't consider this result a "bad" result; in fact, I agree with you that it can be considered "good" -- in that it allows you to focus on "better," or "less iffy" hits, still knowing that you WILL find coins in the iron, but while minimizing the iron digs. This -- combined with a bit more depth you are getting with the Ultimate coil, and the solid/loud hits on deep coins, makes it a winner, from my perspective.

Thanks for sharing, Bryce!

Steve

sgoss66 said:
Anyway, like you say, I personally don't consider this result a "bad" result; in fact, I agree with you that it can be considered "good" -- in that it allows you to focus on "better," or "less iffy" hits, still knowing that you WILL find coins in the iron, but while minimizing the iron digs. This -- combined with a bit more depth you are getting with the Ultimate coil, and the solid/loud hits on deep coins, makes it a winner, from my perspective.
Steve

I agree 100% my friend:thumbup:

There is no guess work or taking chances on iffy signals with this coil in my experience with it.

If it is a coin...it's gonna let you know it. If it's just iron...it's gonna let you know with a "not so good" signal.:beers:

I wish I would have figured this trait out about 47 pieces of crap earlier:bouncy:...but it is what it is:rolleyes:

That's how I figure out what works for me and what doesn't...with a lot of hard work and practice:thumbup:

I now know with this coil exactly how it reacts in the iron:thumbup:......good stuff:beers:

By the following quote, is this coil less affected by (iron) target masking than the stock coil?

"With this coil...IF it was a coin...the "dig me warble sound" needed to repeat in at least 3 out of 4 angles as I circled the target....and in MOST CASES it needed to repeat with a consistent manner on 4 out of 4 angles as I circled the undug target....SERIOUSLY!"

After a year with the Etrac I'm just now starting to hear a difference between iron falsing and good targets, while hunting, but still have a long way to go.
If the Ultimate coil gave me an addition inch in depth, then it would surely open up some so called, hunted out sites.

Mark.....yep:thumbup:

Most people will LOVE that...but it really threw me off for quite some time til' I figured it out:clapping:

As for the depth...I believe I get about 1" deeper than the pro coil.

Bryce, are you prepared to say yet if it's any deeper than the 12x10? You're saying it's probably about 1" deeper than the Pro Coil. From what I've read in the past some 12x10 users feel it's about that much deeper if not more than the Pro Coil, so I'm wondering if it's the same depth as the 12x10 or a bit deeper? By the sound of it I think you said up until the 13" coil you thought the 12x10 made deep targets sound louder than any of the other coils you used? Correct me if I'm wrong about that. Anyway, if the 13 incher isn't deeper than the 12x10 by the sound of it it may at least have a louder response than the 12x10 on the real deep stuff? Hope you know what I'm asking here as I probably could have constructed the above sentences better. Thanks again for your field reports on all these coils over the years. Enjoy reading them like a novel.

Thanks for the kind words...it's nice to know all the reports are appreciated.

Critterhunter said:
Bryce, By the sound of it I think you said up until the 13" coil you thought the 12x10 made deep targets sound louder than any of the other coils you used? Correct me if I'm wrong about that. Anyway, if the 13 incher isn't deeper than the 12x10 by the sound of it it may at least have a louder response than the 12x10 on the real deep stuff? quote]

Yep...that's my personal experience here in IL at my sites.

Doesn't mean you will experience the same results...but I'm being as honest as I can be with what my opinion is.

Well I've decided to order one, but they are sold out according to JW.

Put the ultimate on my E Trac and like you I dug alot of iron right off. Now the ground in Michigan is saturated, almost 5" of rain in 10 days and I noticed yesterday that deep aluminum was fooling me, rings up like silver but with little crackle to the tone. 44-46 CO ,10-11 fe,sounded too good to not dig. The toughest ones to distiguish were a type of top off various wine bottles, round flat discs the size of a nickle.
I expect better conditions when the ground dries.

Bryce,I've been using your program with deep on,for the beach. I put on a 12" excel. coil and it works great. If I use IM on -7 on the beach, I hear some deep ones . Stable all the time.. I can even run 32 auto sens.with it..If the soil minerals are not a problem,I keep it at 8 gain. If minerals exist, I push it down to 6 or 7..to shut it up.
I want you to know ,also, that you've been a big help in understanding what my machine is saying.as I read everything you write here on the forum.. I'm an old vet whose traveled the world with a MD. Being doing it since 1977 I'm on my 16th machine but I must say I love this EX2 ..Much more capabilities...Thanks again for your insight...

Nam70, your right about Bryce's program. I use it too and it really works. At least I've been successful and happy with it. Glad his posts have helped you with your Explorer. Man when I saw this post at the top of the forum I thought Bryce had posted something new. Aw heck, I'm a bit of a fan. Wish he still posted. But we still have Mike O, Charles and some other old hands who still come by to help out us newcomers. Great forum. Continued success Nam70!

Haven't seen Bryce post in a while anyone know what happened and why he hasn't posted in a while?