Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Looking to buy one ... to clean clad and other objects.

Does anyone have one? If so how well does it do on cleaning coins? Would you use it to clean older coins like Wheaties?

Any suggestion on a good one to buy?

Thanks

I have bought 2 of them over the years and if i am honest they have been the biggest waste of time and money ever,totally useless and these had not been el-cheapo ones either,one was a normal one and the other was from my wife's business that cost a 4 figure sum,they have been sat out in the garage for years gathering dust.Maybe great for gleaming up jewellery etc but for cleaning finds i certainly would never buy another one.Just my opinion of course.

No good for the coins that md'rs find.

The couple I tried did very little in cleaning coins. Now for clad coins you need a rotary tumbler and for cleaning wheaties I have a vibrating tumbler which take a while, but come out looking natural, or close to it.

Rick

Great for cleaning jewelry but coins....... no. A rock tumbler is needed for that and what medium you use in it is pretty much "anything goes" My favorite is sand but rocks right out of my driveway works as well. I have used aquarium gravel to commercial rock tumbler medium which is a bit too aggressive for coins but still works. Just keep an eye on it for "doneness" Be sure to clean your pennies separately or all your silver colored coins will have a copper color.

I tumble found coins a couple times a year and this is how they come out after tumbling 12 hours per batch in a handful of sand, a couple drops of dish washing soap and vinegar.Good enough to take to the bank anyway. I might add that a mist of WD40 will bring the shine back and it helps them slide right through the banks coin counter too.:biggrin:

[attachment 347717 clad.jpg]

An ultrasonic cleaner is Not adequate to clean the majority of clad coins that I find. I bought one and even after hours of running my coins were still too dirty and discolored to run thru the coinstar machine. Get a tumbler.

For most of your clad coins, tumbling them works best! I have years experience with ultrasonic machines. Don't use them on copper oxidized coins, as they will pit them. Do use them on silver coins. For iron rusted parts, use full strength vinegar, and run for long periods.

Here is the formula for an ultrasonic cleaner solution I use. As I don't use it on Pearls or Opals but its fine for most jewelry and non copper coins.

1/4 cup Mr clean
1/4 cup liquid ammonia
1/2 cup water

It was recommended to be used hot.

http://u.cubeupload.com/johnedmonton/Ultra.jpg

What I do, depending on what I am cleaning, is put the piece in different containers, and just fill the tub in the ultrasonic cleaner with water, preferably distilled water.

http://u.cubeupload.com/johnedmonton/339097.jpg

Also, do no overlook "Stainless steel shot tumbling." Tumbling is an easy and effective way to polish your finished metal jewelry pieces. You just buy some commercially available stainless steel shot, put it in the tumbler. Add just enough water to cover the top of your shot, add one drop of Dawn dishwater soap, your jewelry and rings and start tumbling. Mix silver only with silver. If you add copper, the silver will stain a copper color.

Below is a video I made on stainless steel shot tumbling...called the "3rd Way To Polish Coins and Jewelry."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuiV3RJou0

I use a thumbler tumbler with a quiet rubber drum and stainless steel shot and use lime away works great