Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Under the boardwalk....

kschae4

well, technically not, since the boardwalk was destroyed during Superstorm Sandy. These finds were in the remaining fill dirt brought in by 1960 prior to the boardwalk's construction. I tend to hit this area after each nor'easter, seeing what erosion has left me to pick through. Cool Huyler's candy store bathhouse/beach badge #26-copper . Huyler's came down to Long Branch by 1885, but I feel this may date to just the 1920's...identifiable wheaties from 1910,29,41 and 51. May run them all in electrolysis. Some cool intact bottles were eyeballed as partially buried,then removed... Stats: relic /low density/auto sensivity. Thank's for viewing.

Awesome finds and great recoveries!:thumbup:

Thanks GS... After using electrolysis on the badge, I met today with our local historian and donated the badge to the society. She knew little about our hobby, but was impressed with my attempt at preserving local history and is the processing of finding historical properties around town that may be worthwhile running a coil over. It certainly pays to be an ambassador for this hobby and not be typecast/ labled as some yahoo on a tv show who only appears to be out there digging history and selling it to profit........

I do agree with you and when I read your post regarding you making the positive impression on the historian, it brought to mind a local historical site. There is a home about 2 miles away built in 1860 that was the home of a winery owner. It is designated an historical site and is open for the public for tours. Usually, these sites and surrounding grounds are obviously off limits to detectorists but in asking the one person that live's on site what the possibility was of detecting a patch of ground which used to be a garden, she said I would need to get permission and then have a member from the historical society be there while I detect. She did not say metal detecting was strictly verboten so it may be worth going through the steps to do this. Even though I probably could not keep any finds, it might open up more avenues to metal detect other sites which might be off limits and who knows, may be able to keep some of the finds/relics they might not be interested in? If we don't ask, we don't get right!!! I'll keep you posted!