Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unstable In Multi

5900_XL-1

I have always had easy operation in Multi frequency mode with my 600, location being my front yard. Now, the 600, with even the 6" coil, goes unstable unless I lower sens to 15-16.

I can use 5 khz single, 10 and 15 khz, and be stable. It is worse with the 11" coil. The single 5 khz frequency should logically be the first to crater in EMI, but it settles right down on 5, when leaving Multi. It will stay stable at 20-22.

First thought that the shielding on one coil went bad, but both at the same time, and the 600 is stable at the lowest single freq of 5 khz.

I have done several factory presets, and even reloaded the software to start fresh.

It sounds like my head unit lost something for staying stable in Multi.

Sounds like you are getting EMI interference. There are times I have to go to a single frequency like 10 kHz.
WiFi, cell phone and towers underground wires cars with onstat anything that produces a signal.
Actually that’s a good thing that the Equinox lets you still hunt there.
All is just my opinion .

Doug

5900_XL-1 said:
I have always had easy operation in Multi frequency mode with my 600, location being my front yard. Now, the 600, with even the 6" coil, goes unstable unless I lower sens to 15-16.

I can use 5 khz single, 10 and 15 khz, and be stable. It is worse with the 11" coil. The single 5 khz frequency should logically be the first to crater in EMI, but it settles right down on 5, when leaving Multi. It will stay stable at 20-22.

First thought that the shielding on one coil went bad, but both at the same time, and the 600 is stable at the lowest single freq of 5 khz.

I have done several factory presets, and even reloaded the software to start fresh.

It sounds like my head unit lost something for staying stable in Multi.

First, try using it somewhere else? If you are having a problem with the detector, the behavior will be the same everywhere. It sounds like its a local EMI problem, which will change by changing the location. Thats the first test to try.

EMI could be at any frequency and you don’t know what is putting out the interference . Something in that area is causing it. Electric fences, power lines . Look around but you may never know where it is coming from.

Your phone to can cause it.
Mark

I understand each point, thanks. I came from a past of using a Whites V3i, 8 years. The V runs 3 frequencies, 5-7.5-12.5 Khz, or single freq by selecting.

I never ever, had an episode of instability in 7.5k nor 12.5 in single frequency, when 5 kHz was also stable. Five kHz went south first, always.

If you have a cell phone on you, try placing it on airplane mode. This was my problem when I first started using the equinox. It may or may not be your issue but a good place to start if you haven’t done so. If it still goes “bananas” as others mention, there is some other form of interference. Jason is spot on. I’d take it to a different location before diagnosing bad parts. Good luck and keep us posted.

Possibility the Nox is just more sensitive. And that may be the cause of so many are finding more things at sights that have already been hit hard .

I’ve had very similar experience... I find 5 kHz to be very stable,so much so that I find it to be my go to lately when farm field hunting... multi frequency just has not really worked for me as good as it does for everyone else...good news is I’ve been finding more coins,bad news is there all Lincoln pennies.. in 5 kHz I can hunt at a sensitivity setting of 20 pretty stable... multi just makes everything sound good... I also have experienced it being harder to run stable when the ground is wet on top... a higher recovery speed number should also help a little ... I have the 800... good luck...

I went out to a park today, and it worked fine in Multi. All I can figure is that my RF area here at home changed. I accept that fact. It is puzzling why 5 khz was stable though, yet unstable in full Multi. RF-wise, it would be nice to know the electrical reason. Maybe there are lots of spurious harmonics with ML's multi frequency envelope.

Oh well, at least I have faith in my Nox again. Thanks all!

Glad you figured out the problem. :thumbup:

5900, you may have hit an unknown thing about these machines. Good to know.

I have trouble but not as bad as you did, so I constantly look for a better signal using noise cancel. In these two parks I go to I might use the NC maybe ten times.
Now I understand why I do that - I might have to switch to 5 kHz and see if it gets better. But I have to say I do find coins and stuff - it’s just that I try NC more often

Tony NJ

I went thru the same thing when I got my Equinox 600. I always carry my cell phone due to medical problems. The detector was very unstable at times and backing down the sensitivity would sometimes cure the problem. I started leaving the phone in the truck and the problem went away. I will try putting the phone in airplane mode when I go back out this spring. Do you fellas think this would have caused my Explorer SE to do the same thing? If so....I have a whole bunch of ground to go back over! Ted

Ted, it does make sense to go back to old ground with the NOX.

Airplane mode, now that is a good idea.

Tony NJ

I had a similar problem with my EQ 600. I tried everything that has been mentioned on the numerous ways to quiet down a Nox. As a last resort before sending it to Minelab to get checked out, I removed the battery and let the detector sit for awhile with the battery removed, thinking that it might reset the detector. After replacing the battery, it was back to normal operation again!!! Has not had an issue again. Not sure if this is advisable our not, but it sure did seem to help mine.